Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(Esat)Bt blocking ports or what

• 18-07-2005 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭

I switched from UTV to BT Plus about 2 months ago. At the beginning, I was able to use edoneky 2000 pro fine. Now, I keep getting messages that I am behind a firewall. I was behind one for a few days (tested Zone Alarm security suite) but I opened all the ports to edonkey and generic host (something). I uninstalled the program just to find out that the problem was not caused by ZA. Today I did a formatting of my HD and on installation was anxious to see will this make any difference.
    What I got was:
    Connecting to Sonny Boy 5 ....
    Placed on connection Queue.
    WARNING : Your 4662 port is not reachable. Please review your network config.
    Trying UPnP...
    server version 17.4 (lugdunum)
    Overnet:
    (firewalled)
    ID: b87ddd………………
    1.0.0.0:4662 (80.59.89.205:4662)
    Users: 1146880 Files: 0
    eDonkey2000:
    ClientID: 171837 (firewalled)
    Connected to: 64.34.161.179
    Users: 153675 Files:
    I used the Zyxel prestige site to allow 4662 access but to no avail.
    Does anyone know if BT have decided to block P2P or is something very simple happening that I am missing to see!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

Try changing the port in eDonkey options

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I was gonna post about this the other day but I thought people might think I was just bitching. Again.

However I noticed last week that my eMule downloads were sitting in the queue a lot longer, and when I took a closer look found that my download wouldn't go above about 10k, no matter what I tried. Changed ports and bang, everything is back to normal again. With this in mind, it looks like they may be rate-limiting certain ports.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Your on port:4662

Port forward it on your router and everything should be just fine.

If your still having problems then change the default port to something else like 4672 or something.
    BT are not blocking ports AFAIK.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Root around this site and test the various ports available.
    If the port in question is blocked it should show up as a little red square.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

*checks client* nope, she flies...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

CuLT wrote:
    Root around this site and test the various ports available.
    If the port in question is blocked it should show up as a little red square.

I checked the recommended site and believe it or not, almost all (some 99%) of my ports are blocked! I have set port forwarding, my port on Edonkey is 4662 for TCP and 4577 for UDP. I am currently not using ANY firrewall. Even the generic, Windows Xp one is switched of, the PC restarted and I keep getting the message that I am behind a firewall.

Are you using the supplied Zyxel or have you got another???

The router is normially what blocks the port...if youve got the ports forwarded turn off Windows built in Firewall.

zuma wrote:
    Are you using the supplied Zyxel or have you got another???

The router is normially what blocks the port...if youve got the ports forwarded turn off Windows built in Firewall.

Zyxel is the one I am using.
    I am thinking of reseting the router, just to see if there is any improvements. I have BT plus and I am now getting 0.4 kB/s. A fee days ago, without changing anything, I used to get 120...

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Paul007

I'm not on BT but I had a similar problem recently.

After exhausting every possible solution, it turned out that my IP address had changed overnight so the ports I had forwarded were going to the wrong address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

ha iv had the same problem the last few days with my zyxel modem
    im with digiweb but its really all the same anway.

something is defo wrong.

• Advertisement

regedit wrote:
    Zyxel is the one I am using.
    I am thinking of reseting the router, just to see if there is any improvements. I have BT plus and I am now getting 0.4 kB/s. A fee days ago, without changing anything, I used to get 120...

Im on BT plus as well and get about 220Kbit/s on downloads.
    If you only got 120Kbit/s before then there must be a problem with huge downloading in your area!!!

Try a hard reset with the switch on the router itself...re-entwer your details as the manula outlines and then see if it makes a difference.
    It shouldnt take more than 5minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

no there is something up i done that test and i have no firewall active and
    all my ports are set up fine.
    have a look at the result i have attached not one port opened!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Well there obviously is something wrong with your setup if all your ports are reporting closed. Im on IOL BB and never had any problems at all with ports being blocked / rate limited. Granted, ive never used eDonkey but I dont see why that should be any different to bittorrent/fasttrack

ricey wrote:
    no there is something up i done that test and i have no firewall active and
    all my ports are set up fine.
    have a look at the result i have attached not one port opened!!!!!!!!

Ricey, I got almost the identical results. Almost all the ports blocked and a few stealth. I have done a hard reset but nothing seems to help.
    As a matter iof interest, when I am downloading something directly (say Windows update or a program from the homesite of the company providing the product I get decent speeds but using P2P is crapy at presnt.
    Does anyone know would the tech team of BT Ireland be able to tell me if there is a heavy downloader in my area (I doubt). It is everyone's right to do what they wish with their connection but in that case I might have to considfer my options.

There isn't really any issue with contention on BT as far as I know. They have enough backhaul that you get pretty much full speed all the time. As for the tech team telling you whether or not your area is contended.... forget about it! :p. Theyre crap

Try putting your modem into bridging mode, plugging straight into your PC and setting up PPPoE. That way all ports would forward straight to your PC and you can be certain that it's not a problem with your port forwarding

This is what Shields UP!! tells me about my pores:

GRC Port Authority Report created on UTC: 2005-07-19 at 10:12:24

Results from scan of ports: 0, 21-23, 25, 79, 80, 110, 113,
    119, 135, 139, 143, 389, 443, 445,
    1002, 1024-1030, 1720, 5000

0 Ports Open
    23 Ports Closed
    3 Ports Stealth
    26 Ports Tested

NO PORTS were found to be OPEN.

Ports found to be STEALTH were: 21, 23, 80

Other than what is listed above, all ports are CLOSED.

TruStealth: FAILED - NOT all tested ports were STEALTH,
    - NO unsolicited packets were received,
    - NO Ping reply (ICMP Echo) was received.

GRC Port Authority Report created on UTC: 2005-07-19 at 10:14:01

Results from scan of ports: 0-1055

0 Ports Open
    1053 Ports Closed
    3 Ports Stealth
    1056 Ports Tested

NO PORTS were found to be OPEN.

Ports found to be STEALTH were: 21, 23, 80

Other than what is listed above, all ports are CLOSED.

TruStealth: FAILED - NOT all tested ports were STEALTH,
    - NO unsolicited packets were received,
    - NO Ping reply (ICMP Echo) was received.

It really would not be the best idea to complain that normal downloads are fine but P2P speeds are bad as those calls are taped and with one thing leading to another...problems may arise in the future!!

DSL is not like cable...it can more than cope with people downloading like madmen...especially in Ireland where the majority hardly utilise it and such a low level of adopters in the first place.

I ran that Gibson tool as well and it saidports 21,23 and 80 were open with other ports being open as I use them.
    Test out your P2P progs and scan them using Gibsons tool before and during usage and you should see them opening and closeing as they are used/not used.

Try doing what I said, set your modem to bridging mode. That will forward *everything* that comes in to your pc. except pings maybe, no idea about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I've been using BT for quite a while now and download speeds on emule have always been poor. I recently changed the ports from the defaults, 4662 and 4672 I think, to 10100 and 10110 and the speeds have increased dramatically. I used to get a max of about 5-10kBps download speed but now I get up to 60 or 70kBps. This would seem to suggest to me that BT do indeed throttle certain ports.

You should change all file sharing application's ports to something else if possible. Make sure you forward the new ports you've selected too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Even with different ports I rarely get more than 40 or 50k. Could be how I'm using it though, I'm no P2P expert.

adam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 142 ✭✭Morgoth

Well there obviously is something wrong with your setup if all your ports are reporting closed.

Hey wait! There's nothing wrong with closed ports. Better if they were all stealth, but a host of open ports would be far worse. Any router you buy will probably have HTTP, FTP, POP3, SMTP, telnet and maybe SSH forwarded by default but you shouldn't be opening any other ports to the public domain unless you need to accept connections on them. It's a security risk, ShieldsUp would have told you that! ;)

Incidentally, if you need to use specific ports for any P2P applications, it's generally a good idea to use ports in the 50k+ range as these are unused therefore presenting no potential conflicts with other network programs (can't remember the exact port above which they're all unused). It's also highly unlikely that an ISP will be blocking/throttling them.

Advertisement