Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL + blueface, what hardware do i need?

Options
  • 18-07-2005 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

My vital statistics -

I'm on NTL's 1000 up/100 down service
    I want good QoS
    I don't have a router and would rather not have to fork out for one if I don't have to

I'd prefer to keep my existing phone (DECT basestation), so obviously I'd need an adapter, but would I need a router too?
    What would be a good choice of adapter? Handytone 286/486?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

Peek at the sticky What is your VoIP setup? to see what others have done.

Checkout the hardware bleuface supply here: https://www.blueface.ie/purchase/purchase.aspx
    Click on the drop down menu : 'Select Device'

An ATA or router with VoIP ports would do, but:
    What is your home network setup?
    Do you have many PC's, laptops, XBox connected to the web - or do you intend to have just one machine and the VoIP using your bb connection?

I'd be inclined towards the Linksys RT31P2 - because it gives you options going forward.

causal

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Mossy

causal wrote:
    What is your home network setup?
    Do you have many PC's, laptops, XBox connected to the web - or do you intend to have just one machine and the VoIP using your bb connection?

One PC, VoIP using BB
    causal wrote:
    I'd be inclined towards the Linksys RT31P2 - because it gives you options going forward.

A couple of posts on this forum mention that QoS on the RT31P2 doesn't work very well. What do you think? (I haven't researched the RT31P2 properly yet).

Mossy wrote:
    One PC, VoIP using BB
    A couple of posts on this forum mention that QoS on the RT31P2 doesn't work very well. What do you think? (I haven't researched the RT31P2 properly yet).

air said that here,
    but the next day after tweaking here he thought maybe it was better than he originally thought. afaik he's the only one who has one.

To answer your earlier question on ATA's: Grandstream 486 would do the job but the 286 won't (afair it doesn't have a LAN port) - but I wouldn't get either.

I'd be inclined to go for the router with builtin VoIP ports rather than an ATA. It gives you the option of adding more network devices (PC, laptop, XBox) later.
    The Linksys RT31P2 blueface do comes preconfigured and costs €99; the Linksys PAP2 ATA they do is cheaper at €75 - but from my brief look at the specs the PAP2 doesn't have a LAN port - so you couldn't connect your PC through it to your modem.

You may be able to get these devices cheaper elsewhere - usual caveats apply.

hth,
    causal

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Mossy

Actually air made comments about the RT31P2 in a couple of threads, but I didn't realise that they were from the same person. :rolleyes:

Thanx for the advice, I've got the RT31P2 from Blue Face, will let y'all know how it works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Hi,
    apologies for what may seem like a silly question but I'm new to this

Am I correct in saying that if I purchase an ATA which I believe connects directly to the modem/router, that the phone service i.e receiving and making calls can be done with my PC off? In other words, is leaving the modem and router on enough without any need for the PC?

Secondly, if I connect an ordinary dect phone to an ATA does that mean that I don't have to worry about the router signal distance seen as the base station is directly connected?

I have a Linksys compact router which has only 4 ethernet ports by the way and currently have used a software phone.

Thanks in advance!

• Advertisement

Hi,
    apologies for what may seem like a silly question but I'm new to this
    Hi podgeandrodge, welcome to the forum :)
    Am I correct in saying that if I purchase an ATA which I believe connects directly to the modem/router, that the phone service i.e receiving and making calls can be done with my PC off? In other words, is leaving the modem and router on enough without any need for the PC?
    Absolutely correct. Yes the ATA connects directly to your router via an ethernet cable.
    Secondly, if I connect an ordinary dect phone to an ATA does that mean that I don't have to worry about the router signal distance seen as the base station is directly connected?
    Correct again. The limitation on distance is governed by your DECT basestation.
    I have a Linksys compact router which has only 4 ethernet ports by the way and currently have used a software phone.
    I think everybody finds that the quality is superior with hardphones.

You could pay more (nearly double) for an all-in-one wireless/wireline router+VoIP that blueface offer - see the second post in this thread here.
    You'd want the WRT54GP2 to keep you wireless setup - but it's €125, whereas the PAP2 ATA is only €69 - so it's a lot of cash just to have the VoIP ports in the router and proabably not worth the extra cash for you - unless you have disposable income and like the latest gadget :D

hth,
    causal

• Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Hi C and thanks for the quick reply!

If I understand you I guess you are suggesting I buy the PAP2 ATA.

A final question - I see on Ebay for Eur55 the grandstream handytone 486 - is this any better or the exact same thing?

Thanks!

p.s Just noticed on the internet that these ATA's can be locked to certain providers - do Blueface do this?

Blueface don't lock the equipment they sell.

It's a bit of a read but you'll find interesting links and answers to your questions in this thread: Blueface Hardware

hth,
    causal

Advertisement