Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bouncers

Options
  • 18-07-2005 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭

Whats all ye Cork peoples opinions on your bouncers? Was down for the weekend and I must say that they have some serious problems, anyway ill keep this post short for now and maybe post the full story laters.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Dizzyblabla

I've never had any problems with any of the bouncers in Cork?
    Where were you going/how drunk were you/what were you wearing? These can all be factors of which pubs you are allowed into...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

We tried a lot of places, cubans, plato's, the place beside plato's ... every other club and pub we saw really. The only place we got in was One and that was after midnight and two hours wandering around the city. We were all dressed sensibly (7 of us - we split into groups of 4 and 3 to get in but couldnt) and only 3 had a few drinks in Bru (hostel where we stayed) bar before hand. We are all over 18 and had our i.d's with us but the bouncers everywhere were acting like complete <expletive>. Everywhere we went we were either too young or too drunk which obviously was not the case. None of us were impressed at all and needless to say most of us wont be back because of it. And its a shame, because all the people seemed nice, after being refused we asked people where would be the best place to go and they were really helpful. The bouncers on the other hand left a lot to be desired.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Its those scumbag bouncers who define dress sense that really get to me. They have I.R.A and Tiocfaidh Ar La tatooed on to their arms like a right scumbag and then have the cheek to refuse others for what they wear. Obviously after spending 4 years at London School of Fashion they have the mental proficiency to dictate whats hot or whats not.
    Generally if you have trouble getting in to a place try and ask a girl to accompany you in there. The order of allowing people goes

Girls in group
    Girl on own
    Couples
    Guy on own
    Guys in a group have no chance.

I hate bouncers pretty much.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Whats all ye Cork peoples opinions on your bouncers? Was down for the weekend and I must say that they have some serious problems, anyway ill keep this post short for now and maybe post the full story laters.
    once they hear the doooblin accent, you're fcuked...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I've had similar complaints at weekends when friends from England have been over. I don't particularly envy bouncers their jobs, but that doesn't stop some of them from being tossers.

Mind you, that applies to pretty much any job/group of people, I guess...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭zeusnero

i haven't had many problems with bouncers in cork recently, i thought they were much worse before... where are people having major bouncer problems btw?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭solice

There is a massive difference between bouncers in Cork and Dublin. Two weeks ago i was going out in Dublin, a friend got his finals and everyone was all dressed up, except me, i was in my usual attire of looking like i just came through a storm. I didnt know we were going to be going out.

Anyways all i had was my college id, UCC id. I handed it to the bouncer and he looked at it. Asked for some other form of id. I said that was all had. He handed it back and said next time bring a drivers licence or passport. From going out in cork that usually means, get lost. But then he opened the door and let me in.
    I cant remember when that ever worked in Cork. The only pub i know that accepts college id is the Star.

Still though, i have always found, if u are polite to a bouncer it helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dimitri

We tried a lot of places, cubans, plato's, the place beside plato's ... every other club and pub we saw really. The only place we got in was One and that was after midnight and two hours wandering around the city. We were all dressed sensibly (7 of us - we split into groups of 4 and 3 to get in but couldnt) and only 3 had a few drinks in Bru (hostel where we stayed) bar before hand. We are all over 18 and had our i.d's with us but the bouncers everywhere were acting like complete <expletive>. Everywhere we went we were either too young or too drunk which obviously was not the case. None of us were impressed at all and needless to say most of us wont be back because of it. And its a shame, because all the people seemed nice, after being refused we asked people where would be the best place to go and they were really helpful. The bouncers on the other hand left a lot to be desired.
    I'd say you were just unlucky a lot of the pubs and clubs on western road are over 21's, reardens, platos, cubins, Havannas and preachers!! club one? must have been a **** night! did you try savoy, blu bamboo or mangans? bouncers there are usually o.k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Great show. Id recommened everyone go see it ;)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

gimmick wrote:
    Great show. Id recommened everyone go see it ;)

*hands gimmick his/her coat, points at the door*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭Maynooth

It's a well known fact bouncers in Cork are tossers, that's known all over Ireland. Most of them have major attitude problems.

Sorry Fysh :p

As for the above comment, well, as far as I reckon, it depends where you go. Typically in sh*t pubs clubs like Reardens/Blubambu/Bailey/Havannas, the bouncers are generally twats. But lest be fair, thats only in keeping with the majority of the clientele going to these places.

I find the bouncers in the Brog/Quad/Bodega/Mardyke all quite polite, and will only be ignorant in return to peoples ignorance.

There are probably a good few more examples of places with good doostaff as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Dizzyblabla

gimmick wrote:
    Sorry Fysh :p

As for the above comment, well, as far as I reckon, it depends where you go. Typically in sh*t pubs clubs like Reardens/Blubambu/Bailey/Havannas, the bouncers are generally twats. But lest be fair, thats only in keeping with the majority of the clientele going to these places.

I find the bouncers in the Brog/Quad/Bodega/Mardyke all quite polite, and will only be ignorant in return to peoples ignorance.

There are probably a good few more examples of places with good doostaff as well.

Ouch... that's a very loaded comment there gimmick??
    I know you kinda half covered yourself by saying the "majority of clientele", but still, implying that people who go to certain pubs are twats is not a fair comment at all. I go to all sorts of pubs, from Reardons/Havana's to the Bróg, the Mutton Lane, even my local, and I would never comment on any of the clientele in any of them, even the pubs that I wouldn't touch with a ten foot barge pole, it's an unfair statement to sum all the people who go there into one category like that...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Everyone that goes to Platos is a wanker. Fact.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Shyster

the problem the OP had was obviously just one based on the fact that they weren't told where they could go... from his post it sounds like they're between 18 and 21 which, in Cork, means your choice is limited to four or five places. If a bouncer in Havanas gets a group of 18/19 year olds from Dublin asking him why they cant get in......big man not happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

The Reardens/havana bouncers are complete tossers. Is it small penis syndrome or what with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Two of the guys are 25, two 20, one 19 and me and the other are 18. Obviously not being from cork we were not in the know on where to go so we tried everywhere.

At cubans i think it was, me and the other 18 year old (who look far older than the 19 year old) were refused in while he was let in, so we were talking to the bouncers and they said there was a certain amount of leeway they gave ... bull.

We went directly across the road to the other place, me and the other 18 year old were getting in when the 19 year old was stopped and refused, told it was over 23's - right after me and my mate had already been allowed by.

And the bouncers telling us we were too drunk were just hilarious, bunch of wan..rs they were.

All in all, none of us were impressed in the slightest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

damien.m wrote:
    The Reardens/havana bouncers are complete tossers. Is it small penis syndrome or what with them?
    You'd be pissed too if your knuckles were all scratched and stuff all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Has to be the Dublin/Kildare accents, I have to say that I wouldn't let ye in either (no offence).

Ouch... that's a very loaded comment there gimmick??

I know you kinda half covered yourself by saying the "majority of clientele", but still, implying that people who go to certain pubs are twats is not a fair comment at all.

Ive never been known for my tact!

Back to the topic at hand, I think some of these guys are doing us a service. I dread when my girlfriend tells me we are going to Havannas, but I cant refuse, as to be totally fair to her, she knows I hate the place, so only asks me to go maybe 3-4 times a year.

Look at the pubs/clubs in question - loud cattle marts where one has to queue to get in, to drop off the coat, to get to the bar, to get to the toilet, to get your coat back, and finally to get back out again.

That said though, I used work in ZOES years ago, and if it was a quiet night, which it generally was midweek, Id go down stairs and have a fag with the doormen. They were all animals, and one told me he loved provoking his 'stoppees' into doing something which would allow the bouncer to lash out.
    Many of these fellas are still on doors around Cork City, but by naming the places could have its legal problems I reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dimitri

i can honestly say i've never had trouble with bouncers before, thats not to say i've never been turned away (only twice!!) but only when i'm polluted and they are quite right to turn me away!! The only ones i've ever had trouble with are the ones on rosies here in carrigaline and thats because we were going in at one o clock to catch the late bar after spending the night elsewhere!!

Advertisement