Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

• 18-07-2005 10:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭

Just saw this movie the other day and i had a ton of fun! Was starving by the end so heads up... buy some popcorn.
    What is the release date for it back home? I cannot find it on entertainment.ie so i hope it is out soon.
    Here are my thoughts:

I am a big fan of the book. It looks a little out of place on my bookshelf but that is fine with me. Everyone will comment on Depp as Wonka and deservedly so but what appealed to me the most about this movie was the Buckets themselves. Excellently portrayed by Helena Bonham Carter et al. David Kelly as Grandpa Joe was great fun,
    he even did the 'yipee!!!' when the golden ticket was found!
    But the show was stolen by Freddie Highmore who worked with Johnny Depp on Finding Neverland. The kid WAS Charlie Bucket and that is all that there is to say about it, he embodied that role and even looks like the illustrations in my copy of the book. All in all of you were to ask me what my favorite part of the movie was i would say the first half hour and that was before Depp made an appearance.

So to what everyone is focusing on, at least in the US media: Johnny Depp as Wonka. He was wierd! I mean Michael Jackson wierd! But again he played the part. Like i said the focus for me was on other aspects of the movie but i see what he was going for and at times he is laugh out loud funny like when
    he keeps walking into the Great Glass Elevator!

Addition to the plot: Wonkas Past
    One thing i did not like was the addition of Wonkas past. I know that it is hollywood and not a single movie can ever be made and be 100% true to the original/book but i thought it was out of place. Christopher Lees character (Wonka's dad) just felt out of place to me and the use of childhood trauma to create Wonka as a flawed character was the wrong path to go down.

From the get go you know that this is a Tim Burton movie. The contraptions and the Nightmare before Christmas art style shows through on a number of occasions.

Look forward to this one though people... two very enthusiastic thumbs up!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Glipmac

goes with the michel jackson reference

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/252079

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

large part of wonka's past is revealed in the second book charlie and the glass elevator which alot of the ending in this film is taken from.
    there are 2 reviews of this in review section, if you wanna see how others felt about it. not out here till next week (where as USA get STEALTH!...oh joy :( )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

haha.

this is out 29th of this month.cant wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 226 ✭✭maggz

Does anyone know how to get tickets to a preview of this?

UCI seem to be doing one, but you have to register, and once I registered I never got an email with a user name and password.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

seeing as they say they were inspired by the book any chance of them making sequel with the giant glass elevator book, i really can't remember what happened in it ( remember the bed with the granniess fitting in it and something about coffee beans but that's it.

was there just one follow up book?

what other darker films could be made from roald books...

so far we've had

matilda - so so
    bfg - good
    the witches -alright
    james and the giant peach... oh yes that was burton too wasn't it and a sumptuoes book and film it was

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭JCos

Really looking forward to this flick.

The Depp/Burton combination has never failed before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 226 ✭✭maggz

My fave book of his was always Georges Marvellous Medicine. I remember they made it into a tv show, but it would be a funny film to make

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

JCos wrote:
    Really looking forward to this flick.
    So was I.
    JCos wrote:
    The Depp/Burton combination has never failed before.
    It has now. I posted more in the review section. Disappointing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Both this movie and Planet of the Apes are pretty damm bad. Burton should stick clear of remakes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Saw this in france last week and I have to say I enjoyed it even though i didnt think i would.
    Johnny Depp has his part down to a tee and although there have been some changes between this and the origional, I am actually torn between the both of them to decide which is the superior for me.
    One thing that did surprise me however was
    The whole fizzy lifting drink part from the book/first film was left out completely

Oh and the oompa-loompa's rocked once again. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

classic stuff altogether depp shines as a really hrd to capture character

spoiler:the way he just throws mr. salts business card over his shoulder...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

From the stuff ive seen I think Depp looks more like something from Clockwork orange than some Micko Jackson creation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Another, Johnny Depp/Tim Burton/Danny Elfman combo = W1N

Can't wait to see this.. :D

CC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

From the stuff ive seen I think Depp looks more like something from Clockwork orange than some Micko Jackson creation.

Its more in the way he acts there a resemblence to jacko (IMO anyway) and also when he laughs ... almost the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭irishboy19

having seen this film . i can say its a masterpiece.
    nobody could of played this part as good.
    david lynch was exelent also.
    very dark and almost gothic at times.
    nuff said without ruining it

Advertisement