Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"First xbox 360 seen out in the wild"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

little bastard i want one...good to see project gotham 3 comin out on 360

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Hmmm....poor kid.

He's gonna be murdered very soon I would say....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

idiot

Why would you put someone in the picture with it, he even left the serials on >_<

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

so the xbox360 does have backwards compatability? :confused:

man i need to start checking game sites more often...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I'd HATE to be that kid right now. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

tman wrote:
    so the xbox360 does have backwards compatability? :confused:

man i need to start checking game sites more often...

it never didnt have backwards compatability. they have only said with the top selling titles. and if i remember I think halo 2 sold a few copies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

evad_lhorg wrote:
    it never didnt have backwards compatability. they have only said with the top selling titles. and if i remember I think halo 2 sold a few copies.

i dont get that if they can make halo work y not ALL games?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

Ri_Nollaig wrote:
    they have to emulate each game seperatly as the original xbox used nvidia and intel hardware and the new one is ATI and IBM hardware
    Pete

i know they changed their stuff but im just saying how did they get halo to work? just emulated that? also read some of comment cud b fake?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

what a nut job. Bye bye dad's job. Couldn't be a photoshop. Lucky bum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Kare Bear

What a arsehole why did he show himself in the pic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

*snap*

Get 'im

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Kare Bear wrote:
    What a arsehole why did he show himself in the pic.
    For bragging rights of course :p
    You never know, maybe MS wanted some leaks... <<shrugg>>

Ri_Nollaig wrote:
    Eventully I assume they aim to emulate nearly all games, but the only details we have so far is that it will emulate top games.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

They've deleted the thread from the gamespot forum but managed to read all 17 pages of it yesterday. very funny stuff. The other posters really egged him on to prove himself by getting him to post more and more increminating evidence. posting images of his dad's buisness card...what an idiot. pure entertainment though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

damn missed that. have you got it cached in your history or anything. i'd love a read of that :)

Ciaran500 wrote:
    Eventully I assume they aim to emulate nearly all games, but the only details we have so far is that it will emulate top games.
    im just wondering how they got halo1/2 to work by emulating the xbox but is it not possible to emulate a virtual xbox 1 on the 360 so ALL games should work the 360 (that have us believe) should powerful enough.
    still i have my deposit down on one :D
    still those photos do look fake or set up... either way great fun reading all the threads on it ;)

Its all done by emulation. I would of thought they would have a general emulator and specific profiles to sort out any problems with games.

Its suspicious that the cables go behind pillows, then come out the front. Why not straight to the TV. Whats under the pillows.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,400 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Ri_Nollaig wrote:
    im just wondering how they got halo1/2 to work by emulating the xbox but is it not possible to emulate a virtual xbox 1 on the 360 so ALL games should work the 360 (that have us believe) should powerful enough.

They probably do have a emulator running a 'virtual xbox'. However due to the huge differences in architecture there will be some games that use the xbox hardware in strange ways and will not be emulated properly or with graphical errors. The emulator will probably only be optimised for the most popular games to run perfectly since it would take an awfulk lot of work. However most ordinary games should work as well. An example would be to play Firemen on a Zsnes emulator. At a certain point in the game it pulls off a gorgeous rain effect. However on the emulator you get a pitch black flickery screen since the hardware was used in such an obscure way create the effect. Even PS1 emulation on the PS2, which has the complete PS1 chipset on board any way, isn't perfect. Internal Section flat out refuses to work past the title and Castlevania Symphony of the Night has some graphical glitches when it does some obscure 2D effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

betcha a fiver this is viral marketing..

Look at the pics - a totally clean room with pretty much no furniture..

if he is doing it on his own, on spur of moment, who is taking the pictures..

Said bloke has nothing but amazing things to say about the console (and a few sly digs at sony!)..

It happens to show backwards compatibility in action :)

...and microsoft dont have 400 lawers telling people to take shots and storys down or else :)

its worked too, as every message board and news site is talking about xbox 360 today :)

• Advertisement

if it is set up, then its some crafty marketing alright :P

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

You may well be right vAGGABOND, besides everything you say if I were the MS worker, and I was given a 360 to test I wouldnt let the thing out of my sight (because it would cost me my job and because anyone with half a brain would love to get their mits on it... even just to sell it on eBay!).

The whole lawyers thing though, I don't imagine MS would get too bothered about legal action because it's nothing new, if it were before the first official launch of the 360, then maybe. I'd say it would just result in the guys head (and in turn, the child too)

It is a nice ad for MS one way or the other, and mentioning Backward Compatibility is good for them too. It's the one failure of the 360 so far. Everyone seems to think that it wont run old games, and people who try and find out more get bogged down in the 100 different theories as to how it will actually play them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

looks fake but its a very good 'pic with story fake' almost delibratly leaked?.

Do u think MS is giving its employees unreleased XB360's and saying take it home with ya and show it to your kids.....HHhhMMMmmm

One thing MS is very tetchy about is security, a prototype XB360 'in the wild' is worth a hell of of lot of money to MS's competitors. think about it.

plus they have been giving out XB360 facias(fronts) at E3 some probably mocked up the rest from pictures. yeah fake alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Tis easy to emulate any game when you have the source code of its original system.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Hmm lots of good points there... of course it's possible that what's seen on the tv screen could be nothing more than a still image output from a PC using its tv-out... so if a mock-up of the console casing is possible... hmmm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Corben Dallas, how is a prototype xbox 360 worth that much to their competitors ?

What are they going to do ? Reverse engineer it and steal its technology ?

All of the next gen consoles are running on similar architecture and are roughly as powerful as each other, I dont really see how they'd care if they had their hands on each others hardware really. The PS3 and Xbox 360 have their specs fairly set in stone at this stage. As for the revolution, nintendo arent one to rip people off anyway. I really can't see how it matters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Theyre not really emulating as such. The hard drive will just come full of re-compiled binaries for all of the popular games. So all of the important code for your Xbox games will come on the 360's hard drive and when you put the disc in to play it it loads from your disc and the patch on the harddrive.

As far as i know anyway

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Corben Dallas, how is a prototype xbox 360 worth that much to their competitors ?

What are they going to do ? Reverse engineer it and steal its technology ?

All of the next gen consoles are running on similar architecture and are roughly as powerful as each other, I dont really see how they'd care if they had their hands on each others hardware really. The PS3 and Xbox 360 have their specs fairly set in stone at this stage. As for the revolution, nintendo arent one to rip people off anyway. I really can't see how it matters

it's not so much stealing the machine, but it would be nice for Sony to have their hands on a finalised 360 before they complete their machine. That way they can check it to make sure they can out do it in every way, ensure that their UI is at least as good as the 360's and they might even try and find that hidden feature that MS have hinted at!
    It might not be the savior for Sony or Ninty, but I'm sure they'd be happy to know what their up against before they would have otherwise.

Advertisement