Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small Home Network

Options
  • 18-07-2005 11:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Any advice on what setup to use to network the following,

Desktop PC with w/less 54mbps PCI (new - great spec) - bedroom
    Laptop with w/less 54mbps PC card (ok spec) - all over the place
    Netopia Wireless router (eircom standard issue) - living room

I know I should be kicking myself since it's such a simple question but just looking for your thoughts. My main grey area is having the two pcs connected while also having a connection to the router... *confussed*

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I'm not sure I see where the problem is :)

If both PC's with the wireless cards can communicate with the wireless router, then both can communicate with each other (assuming both have IP addresses in the same subnet), just like as if they were plugged into the same hub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭WexCan

But like would the connection be between the two PCs with each having a separate connection to the comp or would the two connect through the router? *confuzzled*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

You must set the WiFi cards to connect to the router (managed mode) as opposed to any PC within range (Ad-Hoc mode).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭WexCan

ah k so the pcs communicate via the router then?

Advertisement