Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

just heard the new opeth single

• 18-07-2005 11:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭

Hmmm...its a weird one. Theres a lot of keyboards in it that makes it sound kinda like children of bodom (a band i personally thought sucked), and some of the production on the drums just sounds a little..well, crap. But its still easily identifiable as opeth. Maybe with a few more lsitens itll grow on me, but i for one hope its one of the only track on the album with keyboards like that in it. anyone else hear it? Opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Kare Bear

Where did you hear it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

its sounds like a normal blackwater park song, just jazzed up with dance music

it sucks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭Geiger

I read in Metal Hammer this month that the new record is going to be more 'hard rock' orientated. They're all happy with the new sound so it has to be ok...I haven't heard the new track yet. Might wait until I can hear it in the context of a full album.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭nosmo

(I hear) The version floating around is absolute bollocks quality and (I've heard) that can really colour your opinion of the song.. The drums are quite a dominant part of the song along with the vocals and the quality of the mp3 mar that. I'm reserving judgement till I hear the CD, but at least it's more Blackwater Park tham it is Damnation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

yea the version goin around is ripped form a radio station or something. it has pretty bad quality but you can still hear it. it is not a bad song tbh. just very simplistic for opeth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Prezatch

I found Ghost Of Perdition at 64kbps which would explain why some people are complaining about sound quality. There are some keyboards playing block chords here and there but nothing overwhelming - similar sound to what was used in Damnation. The song sounds closest to Blackwater Park stuff and you would be forgiven for thinking that it's Tool not Opeth at times. Fortunately it's quite progressive and they are not overusing riffs in it. There's also the obligatory acoustic breakdown bit 3 minutes in followed by some nice slow bits and some lead guitar. Some interesting high pitched bass in the song too reminiscent of Morningrise. It is NOTHING like children of bodom. I am an opeth fan and i think it's a fanstastic song. Also relieved to see that the new record label and increasing popularity and recognition havn't dented Mikael's song writing skills

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

i assume you mean the grand conjuration not ghost of perdition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Skip

I've heard it and I'm not impressed, it has its moments, and yes, it's identifiable as Opeth (is it a good or a bad thing anyway?), but on the whole it's boring and it's dragging along for too long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Mystic Fibrosis

Maybe (Just maybe) it's record company pressure?

Wouldn't surprise me tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

They had the album largely completed before they signed with Roadrunner. The album was composed and recorded without any executive influence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Prezatch

No, i do mean ghost of perdition. I'v heard both songs

Yeah, just heard Ghost of Perdition myself.. I can see what people are talking about with the tool references, the drumming, the light singing and the muted guitars. Kind of unsettling.. it sounds pretty good, but it's really not opeth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

Wow, it sounds uncomfortably like The Grudge/Lateralus in parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭BleakestH

Pet wrote:
    Wow, it sounds uncomfortably like The Grudge/Lateralus in parts.
    What? No it doesn't. It has a few slight Tool-sounding parts, nothing more. Having a couple of riffs that sound like they might be Tool-ish doesn't amount to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I think I'll wait to listen to the album rather than poor quality mp3's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

It has a few slight Tool-sounding parts, nothing more. Having a couple of riffs that sound like they might be Tool-ish doesn't amount to that.

Don't get me wrong, I love Tool and Opeth almost equally..but there are certain sections of that song, drum & bass-wise especially, that sound exactly like the verse of Lateralus and the end of The Grudge.

After a good bit more listening, I have to say I quite like The Grand Conjuration. The Ghost of Perdition becomes very bland and rather boring after a few listenings. The new album could go either way imo

Advertisement