Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed Camera Q

Options
  • 19-07-2005 12:39am
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭

Hey there,

Looking for an answer to settle a bet!

What side of the road can the Grey Gatso cameras get you speeding on?.

My inital reaction was only on the side they are on, taking a picture of the back of the car, but a mate says they can get you coming twoards them on the other side of the road as well?

Is this true?

Cheers

Mik

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

mik_da_man wrote:
    What side of the road can the Grey Gatso cameras get you speeding on?.

Interesting question as I was once flashed by one on the way to Balbriggan just past Blakes Cross.

The camera normally catches traffic heading to Swords but on this occassion there was no other traffic around and I was over the limit and driving towards it.

That said I never got a ticket but with the news that most of these boxes are empty I'm not sure which was the case.

ZEN

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Unless you're driving over the line markings when the pictures are taken, they can't accurately measure your speed, IMO. Generally the markings are on one side of the road only.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

no they cannot take a pic of oncoming traffic as its illegal to flash a light at the traffic, thats why they only take a pic of the back of the car. Although I have heard that it is technically possible to catch oncoming traffic on the other side of the road, its just not allowed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

On a similar note, I was overtaken on Sunday by the Gatso van doing at least 120kmh, I was doing 100kmh, on the M7.
    Oh the irony of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

I think I seen that Gatso van also. On Sunday I was on the N7 coming back to Dublin where they are doing all the road works. As you approach from the Naas side just before the speed limit goes from the 60km/hr to the 100km/hr zone they were parked on the side of the road.

I reckon they nailed 95% of drivers who passed them. The 60km/hr zone makes sense when there are actually road works, but on a Sunday when the only difference between the road now and before was the addition of cones? It's a revenue stream for them.

Don't know if I was done, I was really booting it at 70km/hr in the slow lane :) I think Gatso cameras 'point' at a particular lane only and it looked as if it was pointed at the fast lane. I guarantee you people will lose their license some drivers was passing me at 120km/hr+

Oh for some Corp Diplomatic plates :D

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

ando wrote:
    no they cannot take a pic of oncoming traffic as its illegal to flash a light at the traffic, thats why they only take a pic of the back of the car. Although I have heard that it is technically possible to catch oncoming traffic on the other side of the road, its just not allowed

Hope this is True but not too sure!!

The Bet I have is with a mate to see If I got points or not (and €50 to make it intresting!)

I was Travelling between From kells to Navan @ about 11.15 last night and passed the camera near the ford centre approaching it.

Now it DID flash twice, the first just when i was @ it and the second time i'd say i was just past it.

so if
    its illegal to flash a light at the traffic

Then why did it flash me?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

jayok wrote:
    I think I seen that Gatso van also. On Sunday I was on the N7 coming back to Dublin where they are doing all the road works. As you approach from the Naas side just before the speed limit goes from the 60km/hr to the 100km/hr zone they were parked on the side of the road.

I reckon they nailed 95% of drivers who passed them. The 60km/hr zone makes sense when there are actually road works, but on a Sunday when the only difference between the road now and before was the addition of cones? It's a revenue stream for them.

Don't know if I was done, I was really booting it at 70km/hr in the slow lane :) I think Gatso cameras 'point' at a particular lane only and it looked as if it was pointed at the fast lane. I guarantee you people will lose their license some drivers was passing me at 120km/hr+

Oh for some Corp Diplomatic plates :D

I got caught on that stretch southbound on a Sunday morning @ 9.30am doing 115 kmph in a 60kmph zone. Like catching fish in a barrell there because it's so difficult to adjust to the speed limit in the road works.

Letter arrived yesterday, 2 months after the offence.

I am 99.9% sure the picture of my Registration plate that is shown on the letter is the front of the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

eigrod wrote:
    I got caught on that stretch southbound on a Sunday morning @ 9.30am doing 115 kmph in a 60kmph zone. Like catching fish in a barrell there because it's so difficult to adjust to the speed limit in the road works.

So your'e travelling at at 115 in a 60 zone and its difficult to adjust to the speed limit?

Mods move this to humour please. Funniest thing I've heard all day. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭derek27

well, i dont know a whole lot about it but to things spring to mind...
    #1 i agree with one of the replies you got that they dont flash the front of the car... that ould be hazardous to say the least and i dont think the gov would do that cos if an accident occurred as a result of someone being suddenly dazzled by a speed camera light flashing into their face they would have a lot of trouble on their hands. and #2 a speed camera wouldn't be effective at picking up license plates at the front of a car driving at night with full headlights on because of the intensity of the light from the headlights... a fact we used to make use of when playing hide and seek as kids... the spotlights that shone up to light up the church at night... you only had to stand behind one and nobody would see you. so imo, they only snap the rear license plate when the car passes them over the speed limit.

perhaps a car passing and breaking the limit on the other side of the road triggered one of them and that would explain the flash you seen to the front...>?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

mik_da_man wrote:
    Then why did it flash me?

It can detect speeding motorists on the other side of the road, perhaps that is why it flashed, but there is no way that they are allowed flash at the front of a car in order to catch it speeding. The Gatso van's are allowed take pictures of oncoming traffic but they have no flash, and thats why you dont see gatso's at night

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭stag39

Pataman wrote:
    On a similar note, I was overtaken on Sunday by the Gatso van doing at least 120kmh, I was doing 100kmh, on the M7.
    Oh the irony of it.

so next time have a video camera in the car and dob them....!!! :D:D

eigrod wrote:

Letter arrived yesterday, 2 months after the offence.

I am 99.9% sure the picture of my Registration plate that is shown on the letter is the front of the car.

It took two months to get notification? Ah, Irish efficiency.

I know what you mean about the speed limit, the 60 km/h limit was introduced for the road works down from 100 km/hr. But in reality there's only a certain part of the road that needs that limit not the entire stretch.

I wonder though about these speed limits who decides these? If I am working on a road strech do I simply stick up a sign or do I apply for permission first?

derek27 wrote:
    perhaps a car passing and breaking the limit on the other side of the road triggered one of them and that would explain the flash you seen to the front...>?

Not this as there was only cars going the same way as me at hte camera!.

Anyone know the lagality of hte camera flashing me?

Not that i'm gonna bring a court case if it's illegal!!!

"Eh sorry judge but i was speeding twoards the camera and it flashed!"

swiftly followed by the judges reply " So ya were speeding now sonny?!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 19,021 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

mik_da_man wrote:
    I was Travelling between From kells to Navan @ about 11.15 last night and passed the camera near the ford centre approaching it.

Now it DID flash twice, the first just when i was @ it and the second time i'd say i was just past it.
    Had the same experience with that same camera heading towards Navan from Kells. It does flash you as you drive towards it but it doesn't blind you. I definitely set it off traveling @ app. 90mph @ 2am with no other cars on the road.

I never heard anything about it. They have no actual proof that you were speeding because the graduated markings and the time between photographs are what's used as evidence that you were speeding. You weren't driving on the markings so no sweat, but I've often wondered what would happen if you were overtaking someone in excess of the limit and it flashed you would you be summonsed?

They have no actual proof that you were speeding because the graduated markings and the time between photographs are what's used as evidence that you were speeding. You weren't driving on the markings so no sweat

Thats what I thought too - and i've noticed that the lines on the road are sort of "burned" off the road on the cameras side (maybe to recalibrate for the kph speeds, but were never painted back!)

So fingers crossed on that one, but i can tell ya it slowed me down for the rest of the trip to dublin!

Cheers

Mik

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

Hagar wrote:
    So your'e travelling at at 115 in a 60 zone and its difficult to adjust to the speed limit?

Mods move this to humour please. Funniest thing I've heard all day. :D

Wasn't being funny, t.b.h.

9.30am on a Sunday, no workmen, no machinery, they stick a few cones on the side of the motorway, a few temporary 60kmph signs on the side of the road - other than that there was no difference from the rest of the mway. I repeat, it is not easy to come from 110kmph [ ok, 115kmph ] to 60kmph in those circumstances.

The only time they will catch people speeding on this road is at night or early on a Sunday morning, because other than that the traffic is so heavy, one cannot go beyond that limit, hence they are out that early on a Sunday morning - fish in a barrell.

Having said all of that, I am 100% culpable here and will take my medicine, €80 is on its way to Capel St & 2 pts to my licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

The fixed cameras have been flashing at the front of cars on the other side for years, happened to me a few years ago at 3am, I had just bought a new car and was out for a drive. Deserted road, I was happily speeding along next thing flash. Scared the crap out of me for a second, looked down and I had been doing 90, I thought I had been at about 70-75. The perils of a powerful, smooth car when I had been used to driving junk.

I never heard anything about it though. From my enquiries at the time I got lots of conflicting info but the most plausible explanation was that the gatsos that flash the front of cars are the ones fitted with no cameras and a basic detector unit that cannot differentiate between cars travelling in each direction.
    I know as a fact that the identical gatsos in the UK (the ones here are second hand from the UK) do not flash at oncoming speeders, I have gone past enough of them over the limit myself without any problem while drivers travelling away from them will get done.

Even if you do get a notice, the secondary proof of the distance you travelled cannot be used as there are no marker lines on the opposite side of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Thats what I thought too - and i've noticed that the lines on the road are sort of "burned" off the road on the cameras side (maybe to recalibrate for the kph speeds, but were never painted back!)

..........recalibrate !! LOL :D

I think the last comment made by John R is the most plausible ! The thing is the radar unit can trigger the flash but the camera is fixed onto the part of the road with the markings, always on the samw side as the camera. Therefore even if it flashes you cant be seen by the camera lens !

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Cond0r

I think it looks like people are getting mixed up between
    - The fixed cameras such as the one opposite the Spa Hotel in Lucan.. which have the road markings in front of them and definitely flash you AFTER you've passed them.

and

- The grey vans that the cops move around and (afaik) have the cameras pointing out the back window pointing towards the traffic, and these I would think do not have the road markings near them, obviously enough seeing as they are mobile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Gatso Vans = Photograph cars from the front. I don't think GATSO fans 'flash' when photographing vehicles as I think they are digital.
    Fixed Gatso = Photograph from behind. If it flashes twice it has detected you (assuming there is film in it).

I have never seen a fixed GATSO flash a car on the other side of the road. I have noticed that many of these fixed units are looking very scruffy and I wonder has maintenance lapsed on these units (in advance of these being privatised).

The N7 Gatso van is always parked on the southbound lane just beyond the Poitin Still in Rathcoole and is located in the 60 zone but well before the works. Despite this knowledge I reckon I got done there myself on a Monday morning after a hectic weekend (working I hasten to add) doing about 80K. This GATSO also likes the Red Cow to Newlands X stretch of the N7 on weekend mornings. Better get the insurance renewed before the points land!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

eigrod wrote:
    Wasn't being funny, t.b.h.

9.30am on a Sunday, no workmen, no machinery, they stick a few cones on the side of the motorway, a few temporary 60kmph signs on the side of the road - other than that there was no difference from the rest of the mway. I repeat, it is not easy to come from 110kmph [ ok, 115kmph ] to 60kmph in those circumstances.

The only time they will catch people speeding on this road is at night or early on a Sunday morning, because other than that the traffic is so heavy, one cannot go beyond that limit, hence they are out that early on a Sunday morning - fish in a barrell.

Having said all of that, I am 100% culpable here and will take my medicine, €80 is on its way to Capel St & 2 pts to my licence.

Come on now!
    Unless the speed limit sign was attached to the same pole as the camera you have no excuse.
    "Not easy to come down from 115 to 60"?
    My car has a pedal that helps a great deal in that respect!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Pataman wrote:
    Oh the irony of it.
    Is the M7 not a 120 zone????? I was pretty sure it was...

It is. However, must of the references to speed traps in this thread are between the N7 between Exit 3 (Citywest) and exit 7 (Naas). It is very sneaky of the cops to put a trap on the N7 northbound between the Rathcoole flyover and the weigh bridge on the left. This is probably because they can't park under the flyover any more. They are parked just before the 100K signs and probably catch people who are just ramping it up from 60. Yes. the limit is 60 but its hardly what you'd call proactive law enforcement.

kenmc wrote:
    Is the M7 not a 120 zone????? I was pretty sure it was...

I had difficulty passing a garda horsebox on the M7 one day. He was doing about 110 at the time (70 in old money or thereabouts).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭comanche

mik_da_man wrote:
    Hope this is True but not too sure!!

I travel that road fairly often (infact where the camera is is a good overtaking sport, about the only on that stretch) - have never been flashed there nor have I seen others being flashed!

never thought they could fixed cameras could flash on coming traffic, marking are not on the road so not calibrated?

Tis a good spot for overtaking all right!!

Guess I'm just gonna have to wiat and see if anything happens, but the combination of me getting flashed coming towards the camera & the road markings being "burned" (for want of a better word!) off the road for whatever reason, Hopefully I wont get the points.

Guess time will tell eh?

Cheers

Mik

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

Lads I am amazed most of you dont have detectors in your cars. I know a fella who has one and they are very effective.
    I dont condone speeding but some of the enforcement is a bit OTT

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Rippy

Pataman wrote:
    Lads I am amazed most of you dont have detectors in your cars. I know a fella who has one and they are very effective.

Often thought about getting one, but I understand the Guards now have 'detector detectors' . If they catch you with one they confiscate it and nick you (perverting the course of justice?)

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭GAFF

BrianD wrote:
    Gatso Vans = Photograph cars from the front. I don't think GATSO fans 'flash' when photographing vehicles as I think they are digital.

I wonder do they just pick a lane on dual carraige ways ie outside lane probably most popular. So maybe less chance being caught in the inside lane (you'd have move time to react to it as the operator will have to switch lanes). Just a thought

• Advertisement

I wonder do they just pick a lane on dual carraige ways ie outside lane probably most popular

That's what I'm thinking - are the Gatso VANs laser based units? Anyhow if you ever pass one and really look you'll see the camera always seems to be pointed on the outside (i.e. fast) lane of the carriage way. Not sure on this, but I guess I will find out in 2 months! :)

Advertisement