Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed Camera Q

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

the camera takes two photo's of you as you go past it, and depending on how fast you are going you will be in a different position in relation to the lines on the road.

the camera records your speed via a conventional gatso laser, and the 2 photo's are there to identify your plate and to verify that the laser is correct. this is my understanding of it anyway, but i could be wrong.

they now have camera's facing you in the UK. they seem particulary fond of placing them just after motorway bridges where you're on top of them before you see them and don't have a chance to slow down.

not been flashed by one, so i don't know if they still flash or not, but it's bad form either way if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

Rippy wrote:
    Often thought about getting one, but I understand the Guards now have 'detector detectors' . If they catch you with one they confiscate it and nick you (perverting the course of justice?)

There is nothing for them to detect. Most detectors are passive devices ie they just tell you if your car is being "lit up". There are some sophisticated jammers which jam the laser from the Garda laser on the tripod and I would say that if the signal is jammed there is a good chance they will stop you, suspecting you have one of these. Most people just use them against static and van gatso, on which they give very good service.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Cond0r

Rippy wrote:
    Often thought about getting one, but I understand the Guards now have 'detector detectors' . If they catch you with one they confiscate it and nick you (perverting the course of justice?)
    I've heard a lot about them being illegal to use, but not to own. So if you're caught with one as far as I know if it's switched off, they cant take it off you as it's not illegal?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

Not the case unfortunately. It is illegal to be in possesion of it regardless of whether it is on or off.

Advertisement