Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Valve gone to EA

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Not the worst thing in the world. As bad as EA are they have done alot of good. Once they are only publishing the titles and and do not have any power over Valve, the deal it is not a problem..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Not good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

you could see EA's corruption seeping through Burnout3 like nicotine stains on the hand of a goddess.
    Still a great game but you just know Burnout4 (aka "Burnout 2005 - catchy tagline goes here") is going to be nothing more than more of the same.

Valve don't seem to be the types to take any **** from their publishers though... hopefully they stick to their ideals

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

It's not a big deal really, they won't have any input in the game from what I gather, they're just distributing it. Also, it may only be for half life on the xbox and the game of the year edition, so if it goes sour it wont happen for half life 3 in 2010.

Now, had EA bought up Valve, that would be a different matter. We'd then see annual counter strikes on the consoles, and horrible Half Life sequals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

flogen wrote:
    half life 3 in 2010

tell me your being sarcastic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

wonder if EA will be distributing over steam?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

flogen wrote:
    half life 3 in 2010
    How very optimistic of you :p
    jaggeh wrote:
    wonder if EA will be distributing over steam?
    No, this will remain under the control of Valve.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭mp3guy

i've a feeling EA are going to monopolise the market, like microsoft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Didn't Valve bankroll HL2 with their own money?
    Hopefully this financial independance will continue and we won't have EA calling all the shots.
    Now, had EA bought up Valve, that would be a different matter.
    Yeah, now that would mean big changes I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

EA are Evil. On the outside they may seem somewhat OK and sometimes even alright. But dig a little deeper into the core - and you'll find the most intense evil you'll have ever seen. Ever. It'll compell you to buy up lots and lots of studios and turn their once "possibly the best game ever!"'s into "just another one for the pile"'s.

Evil I say. EVIL!

Course I couldn't really see Valve listening to them a whole lot, didn't they leave Sierra because someone there said "hello" to Gabe Newell or something?

/Edit: Ah, EA are just publishing. Probably should have read the thread rather than just seeing "EA GET ANOTHER STUDIO". Ahem. Alarm stage reduced to Beige.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Well just as long as I don't have to listen to "Challenge EVERYTHING" every time I start a game :/
    Urgh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

as much as i hate ea (i still refuse to use capitals on them), hteir pc games arent nearly as wretched as the console games (eg: battle for middle earth)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Has to be a bad thing. I cant see EA staying out of the way and letting them do it as they want. I just cant wait for halflife: underground 7

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

flogen wrote:
    half life 3 in 2010.

i read something about hl3 on the ps3. can't remember where i read it though.. granted it's likely just to be a misprint

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

It's probably not a misprint. Supposedly we are going to see HL2 a lot sooner than we saw HL2. They will be using an updated version of the engine and are starting full time work on it as soon as they finish the expansion pack. I think they mentioned a 2006 release before. Knowing valve that's 2007 then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭dearg_doom

I just cant wait for halflife: underground 7

wicketywicketywickety

we're kickin' it inda halflife crew!!

dis is da rudeboooi MCGordon on de mic slickin' it wit de tunez

oh gangzta!! i was almost as scared of dat monster as i am of gettin' me white NIKE Shox dirty, innit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

Yeah i remember reading something in Gamesmaster about HL:3 destined for PS3 by chrimbo 2006?. It was a while back anyway. Yeah i'm not a big fan of EA myself, having seen the games market that i've known and loved since the NES days (innovation & quirky games) to the mass market dross that floods the shelves that EA publish. Granted they've hit the mark with the odd game or two, but as has been said, when they hit the mark they go overdrive and release sequel after sequel after..ya get the point. I hope it is just a distribution deal that Valve have with EA, cos if the EA boys have a controlling stake in Valve, well **** that for a bag of spanners.. I'll take up sport

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Knowing Valve's dealing with their last publisher this might not be such a bad thing, it depends on the details of the publishing agreement, and what Valve are looking for out of the relationship.

Advertisement