Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Referee Earl Hebner let go by WWE!

• 19-07-2005 8:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

Earl Hebner, referee for the WWE for 17 years was let go by the company this Monday.

Earl was let go not because of the cuts that happened last week, but to do with him and his other brother Dave selling WWE merchandise, without the WWE's consent or knowledge that they were selling their merchandise.

Earl will always be remembered to be that referee who was invoved with the Survivor Series match between Bret Hart and HBK in 1997

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

corpus wrote:
    Earl will always be remembered to be that referee who was invoved with the Survivor Series match between Bret Hart and HBK in 1997

And as i'm sure Bret is saying, what goes around, comes around.
    How stupid does a guy have to be to blow a top job he's had since the 80's over something like this.
    Or is it another case of how ruthless Vince is, even to long term employees.
    Just like Bret says at the end of "Wrestling with Shadows", when Vince is done with you, he has no problem tking you out back and putting a bullet in your head.

On a side note, obviously Montreal was infamous, but i'll personally always remember both Hebners for the "Twin Ref" scandal on the Saturday Night's Main Event world title match between Hogan and Andre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I always knew that guy was up to something.. Tim White was always my favourite ref, I'll never forgive Triple H for ending his career. It'd be great if he challenged him to a hell in a cell rematch. Earl was a legend though. Always thought he'd get some sort of special send off in the end. Not now I guess. He could make a killing on the indy circuit if he went with the "you screwed Bret" gimmick, lol. I take it his son is still employed then?

I doubt Bret is saying what goes around comes around. Everybody else that was in on the thing haven't been punished in any way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

corpus wrote:
    Earl Hebner, referee for the WWE for 17 years was let go by the company this Monday.

Earl was let go not because of the cuts that happened last week, but to do with him and his other brother Dave selling WWE merchandise, without the WWE's consent or knowledge that they were selling their merchandise.

Good riddance. I'm sure Bret has a little grin on his face now! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Fozzy wrote:
    I always knew that guy was up to something.. Tim White was always my favourite ref, I'll never forgive Triple H for ending his career. It'd be great if he challenged him to a hell in a cell rematch. Earl was a legend though. Always thought he'd get some sort of special send off in the end. Not now I guess. He could make a killing on the indy circuit if he went with the "you screwed Bret" gimmick, lol. I take it his son is still employed then?

I doubt Bret is saying what goes around comes around. Everybody else that was in on the thing haven't been punished in any way!

Did Triple H end Tim White's career? Was it in a HITC match by any chance? I seem to remember Tim White losing alot of blood in one.

I'm surprised Earl is gone. Maybe we'll hear 'You screwed Earl' chants against Vince. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭StonedParadoX

thats so sad
    he was my favourite Ref of the lot

im not sure who tim white was?.. was he who?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

Did Triple H end Tim White's career? Was it in a HITC match by any chance? I seem to remember Tim White losing alot of blood in one.
    I think it was Judgement Day 2002. HHH Vs. Jericho HIAC. HHH irish whiped Jericho against the ropes where White was standing on the apron. White flew backwards and smashed his shoulder against the cage seperating it (his shoulder not the cage).

That's correct. His shoulder was already being held together by wires from a previous surgery, and it completely ****ed up his arm. He tried to make a few comebacks, in one his shoulder dislocated after he hit the mat to count for a pin, another it separated when he lifted his arm or something like that. He was a short guy, balding, short beard. Whenever WWE went to Rhode Island the APA would always have a bar fight in his pub. That's where Austin decided to "rejoin" the WWE during the Alliance storyline. Memories..

I like the way Timmy's hijacked this thread!

Dave Hebner was still working for WWE aswell, wasn't he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

Tim White did referee the match between Christian and Chris Jericho at Wrestlemania XX though. Good to se that he can still manage the odd appearance.

Earl being gone will be wierd! I wasn't much of a fan of him though. His ref-bumps were pathetic and he tried to take up too much camera time, like he was the superstar. My favorite ref is Mike Chioda. He takes ref bumps that some wrestlers would balk at Also, he did the main event of Wrestlemania this year, if I recall correctly, which as good to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

Fozzy wrote:

I was'nt implying he was being directly punished for his involvment in Montreal, obviously 8 years on it's safe to say he's in the clear.

The phrase what goes around comes around means bad things eventually happen to people who do bad things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,577 ✭✭✭savemejebus

D-FENS wrote:
    The phrase what goes around comes around means bad things eventually happen to people who do bad things.

when shawn michaels fúcked up his back, that was the first thing that popped into my mind.

But then bret had his career ended :( so you've got to wonder what he did to piss karma off

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

Good ole Tim White, as far as ref's go, he was top class.

Wacker wrote:
    Tim White did referee the match between Christian and Chris Jericho at Wrestlemania XX though. Good to se that he can still manage the odd appearance.

Yeah, I remember that. I was really lookin forward to that match, and havin Tim back just capped it off for me! Did he injure himself again in that match though?

Mike Chioda did ref the WM main-event this year. He did WM 15 aswell, before Mick Foley came in. I seem to pay more attention to the refs than I should.. Anyone remember Chris Kay?! He debuted on Raw about a year and a half ago, and on his first night, every pin count he did, he bounced right up off the mat on one arm! I was in tears lookin at him! Sadly he must have been told not to do that, cos he did normal counts after that. Then he disappeared, back to OVW I guess

Teddy Long was a great ref, he seemed completely void of charisma back in those days, with really slow counts

Remember Tim White explaining the rules at a meeting before the hardcore invitational match at WM?! He was class

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭yak_kadafi

such a shock..didnt think the wwe would ever let him go......................top referee.......anyway tna will probably be the 1st to offer him a contract

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

This could useful in pacifying Bret Hart and getting him to agree to join the Hall of Fame next year. I still hope he doesn't get in though because I never really liked the guy.

Despatch wrote:
    This could useful in pacifying Bret Hart and getting him to agree to join the Hall of Fame next year. I still hope he doesn't get in though because I never really liked the guy.
    Thats a bit wierd, isn't it? Even if you don't like the guy, do you really think someone like Bret Hart shouldn't be in the Hall of Fame? The guy was a multi-time champ and the company's number one face for years! Also, he was greatly involved in the success of Steve Austin. If Bret doesn't belong in the Hall of Fame, then who the hell does?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

Wacker wrote:
    Thats a bit wierd, isn't it? Even if you don't like the guy, do you really think someone like Bret Hart shouldn't be in the Hall of Fame? The guy was a multi-time champ and the company's number one face for years! Also, he was greatly involved in the success of Steve Austin. If Bret doesn't belong in the Hall of Fame, then who the hell does?!

Why is it wierd? I just never enjoyed him as a performer but yes he is Hall of Fame material of course - that's why I mentioned it. I assume you must be a big Bret fan based on you slightly touchy reaction there :p

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭MadPatrick

Bret Hart never did it for me either. His matches were too long and tedious. A good wrestling match shouldn't make you sleepy. That hour long match he was in was the worst match I'd ever seen. If I remember right it was against Shawn Micheals who I really liked. And it ended 1-0.
    I was delighted when he got screwed, confirmed there wouldn't be a comeback.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

MadPatrick wrote:
    Bret Hart never did it for me either. His matches were too long and tedious. A good wrestling match shouldn't make you sleepy. That hour long match he was in was the worst match I'd ever seen. If I remember right it was against Shawn Micheals who I really liked. And it ended 1-0.

You think Bret Hart's matches were tedious and the Iron Man match at WM12 was the worst you'd ever seen? Are you serious?

Bret Hart has had classic matches throughout his career.

I wasn't really much of a Bret fan myself, but the idea of Bret not belonging in the Hall Of Fame was just bizarre to me. If Bret doesn't desevre a place there, then at best only six or so other guys possibly could. I thought Bret was a fantatsic wrestler technically, but he was a bit too old school really. Too many head-locks and not enough suplexes. I prefer Benoit's style, even though I'd say Benoit is no more technically proficient.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

ha ha.. tim white has his own website....

http://www.friendlytap.com/

leg-end

• Advertisement
Advertisement