Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Archos Jukeboxes - How do you encode your DivX's/Xvids?

Options
  • 19-07-2005 8:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭

Having just picked up my PMA400 I'm now trying to get some movies encoded and transferred to my jukebox. I've trawled boards but thought I'd post a new thread to get some advice and to discuss what programs/resolutions/biterates etc people are using.

I tried my first encode last night of a DVD. I used SimpleDivX (will post a link to guide I'm using on vcdhelp.com later - site is down at the moment. Superb program) using the very latest Xvid codec. I targeted the output avi at 800MB and I was very happy with the result. However when I transferred to my player this morning the audio is slightly out of sync (about half a second). I'm fairly sure the same avi plays fine on my PC. I encoded the audio to 128KB standard MP3 (not VBR as I understand this can give sync problems). I'm not interested in encoding to WAV as the resultant file will be massive. Any tips on how to get the audio back into sync? What resolutions are you using (mine was approx 640*240 but can double check this tonight). What programs do you use to encode and also do you use Xvid or DivX?

It's amazing how little info there is on the web for Archos jukeboxes....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭philtaylor

Same problem aswell , you have to encode sound at CBR as an Archos Sound Starts 5 secs before Video . Still haven't found a fast way of doing it do take about 24hrs with Dr.Divx. However once done , audio is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

How to convert DVD To DivX / XviD using SimpleDivX:

http://www.dvd-guides.com/content/view/49/59/

philtaylor wrote:
    Same problem aswell , you have to encode sound at CBR as an Archos Sound Starts 5 secs before Video . Still haven't found a fast way of doing it do take about 24hrs with Dr.Divx. However once done , audio is fine.

CBR = constant biterate as opposed to VBR = variable biterate. If that is the case I have encoded CBR.

Yeah sorry correct , encode at CBR . If you have done this it should have worked as that solved my problems with DivX on the archos. If this has not worked you'll have to chop 5 secs of the start of the audio .

philtaylor wrote:
    Yeah sorry correct , encode at CBR . If you have done this it should have worked as that solved my problems with DivX on the archos. If this has not worked you'll have to chop 5 secs of the start of the audio .

But the sync is only out by about .5sec. I'll check the Xvid tonight on my home PC to see if it's out of snyc on my pc. May have been an encode problem.

• Advertisement

Some good info here on encoding DVD to DivX for the Archos jukeboxes:

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/100294

No it will work fine on your PC as did all my collection of DVD's . The problem is when you upload them to the Archos . The archos has a problem with sound as their is a 5 sec delay with video output on the archos . So as the DivX contains both video and sound when the file start the sound is 5 secs ahead. The only way to combat this is to encode the sound at CBR and that evens it out to about 0.32 secs.

I heard aswell that you can cut exactly 5 secs of the start of the video and that will work aswell and it a lot faster that re encoding again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

Hi Guys

I am sure there is an easier way to do it but I use DVD Encryptor to copy my DVD's and then Pocket Divx to compress them and resize them

Never had any problems with sound

• Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

I use Davideo 4 - German but works a treat no audio probs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Hi Guys

I use DVD Encryptor to copy my DVD's and then Pocket Divx to compress them and resize them

Recliner - I tried out pocketdivx - having ripped using dvdshrink - do I have to select each VOB individually to recode or is there a way to encode the full movie as one file? thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭thejovialhost

Guys i have a Gmini400 and i got Archos MPG4 Translator with it.
    I use FairUse Wizard to rip a DVD to about 700MB and it works grand on the player, if not (if it is out of sync) i use Archos MPG4 Translator. For *.avi s out of sync-pass them through Archos MPG4 Translator.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

@ Podgeandrodge,

That is the question I would like an answer for, Is it possible to convert the whole movie or do you have to select each VOB file and then join when converted to an avi?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Open the avi in VirtualDub and goto "Audio" and click interleaving. (Ctrl+I)

vdub3br.png

You can set a negitive or a positive delay on the audio.
    Set video to "Directstream Copy" and save. If you get it wrong just repeat with a different value.
    No trancoding needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

im using 3GP converter, Setting set to avi mp4 standard, converting all VOB files from ripped dvd and then joining with virtual dub i think. 3 GP Converter is free ware and converts in pretty fast time, A DVD on my Pentium M laptop in about 30-40 mins. Having slight problem with sound not in sync but Virtual dub can sort it out but just need to get the correct setting in the audio interleaving setup. On the QVGA setting 29FPS Stereo most movies are around 600-700mb. Sound is only 64kbs though, I could so with 96 at least.

Advertisement