Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gilardino to Milan for £17.2 million

• 19-07-2005 8:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭

http://football365.com/news/story_157333.shtml

I think this Gilardino lad could be the man to replace Shevchenko in a few years. I wonder how Chelsea will react to being snubbed by a top name (again)?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Well wasn't a big snub.....his main reason was because he thought he was too young to move countries yet!! he said maybe in a season or 2!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

Leaves Milan top heavy with strikers
    Shevchenko
    Gilardino
    Vieri
    Tomasson
    Inzaghi

this is a team that plays al ot with kaka behind 1 striker.

What price Shevchenko off to his pal in London?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

wouldnt that be great... but hasn't milan already turned down an offer for him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

ya milan have already said shev wont be leaving, even when gilardino was already in the bag. Pippo and Tommasson have been linked away though. If either one of them leaves then they've got 4 strikers which isn't really too much for a club like AC Milan. Utd this season have Van Nist, Saha, Roony, Smith, Solskjaer and Rossi on the books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Tomasson is gone.......joined Stutgard(sp) in Germany!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Shevchenko
    Gilardino
    Vieri
    Inzaghi

Is not at all top heavy.
    This is a perfect example of why English football is so silly transfer market wise.
    This guy is their Rooney. He is expected to be one of the best playeres in the world in 5 years time, yet he was only bought for 17.2 million because the clubs over there aren't stupid, and the top clubs have laid down the law by saying, if you **** with us we'll get him on a free later.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Don't forget Vonlanthen (I can't understand why the kid moved to Milan, has he no ambition to play regularly?).

Gilardino's transfer fee was lower than it would have been normally because of Parma's financial situation. The takeover is stalling and I think the transfer had to go to arbitration to decide on a fair fee.

At 23, he's hardly comparable to Rooney, in fairness, either in age, physique or playing style (though in terms of weight of expectancy it's a reasonable comparison).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

PHB wrote:
    Shevchenko
    Gilardino
    Vieri
    Inzaghi

Is not at all top heavy.
    This is a perfect example of why English football is so silly transfer market wise.
    This guy is their Rooney. He is expected to be one of the best playeres in the world in 5 years time, yet he was only bought for 17.2 million because the clubs over there aren't stupid, and the top clubs have laid down the law by saying, if you **** with us we'll get him on a free later.

Most of the time they only play 1 up though - who gets left out? Maybe they plan on being a b it more adventuruos.

The play different formations at home and away, in Serie A and in Europe. Shev-Gila should start all the home games, if fit, and most of the away games against lower opposition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

TheMonster wrote:
    Most of the time they only play 1 up though - who gets left out? Maybe they plan on being a b it more adventuruos.

Last season they played with two up top and Kaka behind , do you not remeber Crespo and Shevshenko playing together ?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Don't forget Vonlanthen (I can't understand why the kid moved to Milan, has he no ambition to play regularly?).

The only Swiss player Milan signed was Vogel... Johan Vonlanthen is still with PSV.

My mistake, sorry. Vonlanthen was with Brescia but is back in Eindhoven for the time being.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Tehe, although If milan was to sign him and loan him out/have a co-ownership agreement with a lower team I would be happy.

there are close to 12 Milan owned players playing for other top level teams in italy at the moment, Abbiatti and Kutuzov are the obvious but there are also Della Bona, Donatti, Pozzi, Bundle, Gedaiffi and an arse load more... I hope atleast one of them works out...

Yeah, the big teams tend to own almost every youth player from the lower teams, as they have no reserve league to monitor them in. Juventus has close to 100 players on their books, playing for smaller and lower-league teams. They've got Miccoli and Maresca back from loan for the 12th year running, and both apparently despise Juventus and never want to play for them again. It seems a bit greedy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Delighted. Can't wait to see him linking up with Kaka & Shevchenko and running onto Pirlo's passes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

TheMonster wrote:
    Leaves Milan top heavy with strikers
    Shevchenko
    Gilardino
    Vieri
    Tomasson
    Inzaghi

this is a team that plays al ot with kaka behind 1 striker.
    As has been pointed out, Tomasson is gone. Vieri and Inzaghi are both in their 30s, Shevchenko will be 30 this year I think. Gilardino was a perfect buy for them, young, talented and Italian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I have Fifa 2003 at home and used to play the italian league as Parma. Gilardino was class in it for them (better then adriano for them) and i could'nt figure out why i hadn't heard of him. 2 years later, each with 23 goals per year and he goes to milan. Maybe more managers should be playing fifa games, grab talent before they become recognised!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Mark

Well thats that position sorted for the next 7 years or so anyway, I've no doubt he'll do the business for Milan.

Funnily enough, in the 02/03 season, Parma had Adriano and Gilardino up front (used more sparingly I presume since they also had Mutu at the time). Mutu got 18 league goals that season, Adriano 15, Gilardino 4. Odd to think they had 3 of the best young strikers in the world up front and yet drew so little attention outside of Italy.

Ooh just noticed one result from the end of that season:
    Parma 3 [Alberto Gilardino (66),Adriano (70),Adrian Mutu(89] - Piacenza 2 [Enzo Maresca (33),Dario Hubner (39) ]

Poor old Parma, if it wasn't for the Parmalat disaster they'd be a fantastic team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

Parma have such a nack for developing you talent!
    It really is a pity that their finances are in such disarray.
    As has been pointed out, Tomasson is gone. Vieri and Inzaghi are both in their 30s, Shevchenko will be 30 this year I think.
    Schevchenko is 28, will be 29 in september.

Vieri must be really p*ssed about moving to Milan, now he finds he is the third choice striker. :) If Sheva and Gilardinio are fit he won't even get a look in

Advertisement