Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I put a members area on a site?

Options
  • 19-07-2005 9:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I wonder if anyone can help me out, I am designing my first site at the moment, It's all a learning curve, learning as I go, can anyone advise me how to put a members-only message board on my site, I understand it requires extra cost using ssl according to my domain provider but I still need to set it up, maybe i could set up easier by linking to something external, which I dont mind doing if I am 100% sure there wont be Adult Ads on it. Site is non profit at the moment so trying to keep expenses to a minimum.

Thanks in advance
    Dave

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Use server side coding such as ASP or PHP. plenty of choice out there to download for free. What languages & databases does your hosting account support?
    Do you really need ssl?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

dbnavan wrote:
    Hi all,

I wonder if anyone can help me out, I am designing my first site at the moment, It's all a learning curve, learning as I go, can anyone advise me how to put a members-only message board on my site, I understand it requires extra cost using ssl according to my domain provider but I still need to set it up, maybe i could set up easier by linking to something external, which I dont mind doing if I am 100% sure there wont be Adult Ads on it. Site is non profit at the moment so trying to keep expenses to a minimum.
    Your hosting provider is a chancer. You don't require SSL to run forums, private or otherwise. For common forums like vBulletin (what boards is using) or phpBB all you require is an SQL database and PHP installed on the server.

What are you using at the moment? Is it PHP Nuke or something similar? Your main issue as far as I can see it, is integrating the forum software into your existing members database.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

I havent set up php or ssl ever, know what they are from reading books but never did it. I am from more of a technical background then design one, yea yea I can you all know, i know ssl is technical!. but i mean my main experience is PC Repair and basic Network Admin, slowly teaching myself webdesign, using dreamweaver.

So at the moment, how does your site work? Do you have a place where people can sign up as members?

This is the providers package i am using
    http://www.instaspace.com/win35.htm

no members area in place at all as yet, all i have done is raw text outline, and not even all of that yet, total work in progress, I bought cart before the horse. www.browneline.com

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Your plan supports Frontpage extensions, if you have a copy of frontpage, it can create a password protected site area for you... might be a simple way of going...

i am using dreamweaver, but also have copy of frontpage somewhere, might dig it out and use it for those pages.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

you want a members only message board. As I said, there are plenty of good free and pre built applications out there but your choice will be determined by the hosting account.
    Although your hosting a/c seems to support PHP it doesn't mention MySQL so this would rule out most of the PHP boards.
    You are offered both MS Access and the option of MS SQL. MS SQL will cost more to host!
    My choice would be to go with the Web Wiz Forums which can be used initially with Access and when the site gets busy, you can upsize to SQL Server. Incidentally, how many members will you have initially (0?) and how many will you predict to have in a few months? Will many of these be online concurrently? If no then access will be fine intially!

edit: to see this in action go to www.bmwcarclubforums.co.uk. All members must register and supply a valid email addy (sends out account verification mail upon registration). Also you can hide all/certain forums from general public or certain members - e.g. can you see the moderators forum there?

phpBB says it supports Access/ODBC database, which means you can just go ahead and install it.

Advertisement