Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frame relay costs

Options
  • 19-07-2005 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭

Anyone know what the ballpark cost to install and monthly a frame relay line, probably a 2Kbps one, to connect a small LAN in Carlow with another LAN in Dublin.

I dont want to ring the tele-cos and get the heavy sell.

Cheers

Finoblad

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭FinoBlad

oops that should read 2Mbps line

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

2Mb frame relay Dub-Carlow is still at least €2000 a month or more, maybe get SDSL both ends instead contact ESAT BT , or Wireless contact Digiweb who service Carlow.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

2Kb - be far far cheaper to get a pair of modems on a timer switch that turns them off every hour and one of those contracts that allow any amount of calls up to an hour long.
    Seriously if the data is not extrememly sensitive you could look at ADSL at both ends and a VPN if you only need small bandwidth.

AFAIK with only two sites you should be looking at leased line rather than frame relay unless you want a slightly cheaper data rate in return for more congestion (a bit like ADSL really - ESAT and others deliberatly offer faster response time on LL / FR than ADSL to entice you to the more expensive product - depends on how long you can afford to be off line and how many grand it's worth over several years)

With Ericon it's generally a fixed rate install at each end, a monthly charge that includes the first bit (2Km ?) and then a charge depending on the distance. Very roughly €900 for install at each end + for local links ( 5 ~ 10Km) €400 for 64K / €800 for 128K per 1/4 year. And the gear at each end is normally more expensive than ADSL routers - but you do save on the firewall so probably budget at least €1,000 for the gear.

But you've got to add a distance charge to Carlow and that I fear would be the bulk of the rental.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

pm me your details and I will give you the correct costs

Advertisement