Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving License-Barrier to a better wage!!!

Options
  • 19-07-2005 12:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Im 21 year old male and am from Kilkenny but working in dublin. Recently told will need car for job have application for driving test and a letter from my employer to hopefully speed up the process. The only thing is that im not sure whether I will have to do it in Dublin or Kilkenny.
    Anybody have an idea?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

You apply for the test and specify what center you want to do it at. (If you have a cc do it online - www.drivingtest.ie

After you receive your letter of confirmation (with your reference number, get the letter and fax it off to them (contact details on the site).

Ring them up - number is on the site above, and mention that you need the test speeded up due to work needs and tell them you just faxed the letter over.

All things going well you should have your test within a month, at the test centre of your choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You don't have to do it in either place, though it's probably best to choose the place that's most convenient.

That said, if you've driven a lot in Kilkenny, you're probably familiar with the test route, since it's a small town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Bob Bogart

Apply for the area tou know best, the more you know the route the better chance you will have of passing. The decision is yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Norinoco

You can decide where you want to do the test.

Some say it is easier down the country rather that up in dublin.
    I did it in kilkenny a few months ago and passed fine, no upsets.
    The boyfriend did it in tallaght and he got it the second time.

If you are a good driver you shouldnt need to worry where you do it. Which ever is more convenient for you

For me, I found kilkenny a doddle because the testers mainly stick to 4 routes in town, and the driving instructors know these and will run you though them to practice.
    Tallaght has loads of routes around all the housing estates.

While where on the subject of Driving tests, is it not outragious that you have to pay for your test, then if you pass they give you a form to send off to get your licence which costs an extra €25 or so, why dont they just have one price for the whole thing and if you pass you walk out of the test centre with your fu*kin licence, the roundabout way of doing things in this country is comical. Big money spinner

• Advertisement

Big time Bob, but once you have your full license, no more forking out money on licenses for 10 years :)

the reason im so peeved is that i never sent mine off and its out of date and i have to take the f*ckin test again. I take some responsibility for not sending it off, but im a bloke and that sh*it is easily forgotten, its the male laziness gene is really Fu*kin up my life.

What a p*ssoff.

Was conscious of that myself when i got the test and I sent it off straight away.

Bet you wont make the same mistake again....!!

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

To be honest you have 6 months to do it - I would have thought that when anyone passes their test they go and get their licence immediately if only so that they can ditch the l-plates..

parsi wrote:
    To be honest you have 6 months to do it
    You have two years to do it. There's no-one to blame but yourself if you don't do it. It wouldn't be feasible to have a licence creation stall at the driving test centres imo, the current system is fine.

• Advertisement

Shut up seamus, its sh*it, it would'nt happen in any other country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 neilCC

Bob Bogart wrote:
    Yes it would. You had two years, now pay up!
    IMO, the only valid complaints you have are against your own laziness.
    The driving test/license system isn't any good, but it is right that the user pays for it.

Bob Bogart wrote:
    It would actually.
    http://www.dsa.gov.uk/Category.asp?cat=104
    If you pass…
    Automatic driving licence issue
    If you pass and have a photocard driving licence issued after 1 March, 2004 the examiner will ask you if you want your full driving licence issued to you automatically.

If you want to use this service, the examiner will take your old licence off you, scan the details and send them electronically to the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA). You will then be given a pass certificate to prove you passed your test. DVLA will then send you your new full licence by post within three weeks of you passing your practical test.

Sending your licence to DVLA
    If you pass your test but do not want to use this automatic service, or have a licence issued before 1 March 2004, you will be given a pass certificate by the examiner. On the back of the pass certificate it tells you what you need to do next. This involves sending your licence and appropriate fee to DVLA who will then check your application and issue you with a new full licence.
    Handy that the service is there for the UK, but since it's a scan-and-send service, I suspect that it's extremely recent. It's not something that could be feasible until we have credit-card style licences.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

seamus wrote:
    You have two years to do it. There's no-one to blame but yourself if you don't do it. It wouldn't be feasible to have a licence creation stall at the driving test centres imo, the current system is fine.

I thought a provisional only lasts a year

Advertisement