Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

subaru legacy

Options
  • 19-07-2005 12:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

i drive a subaru legacy,it's a 2.0L AWD,
    do u know of any simple ways to tweak it's engine?
    2003-subaru-legacy
    because it is All-Wheel-Drive there is no "tricks" u can do in it like wheel spin.
    do u know of any?
    it is also very slow on take-off,when u release the clutch fast with high revs,something counteracts your revving and makes a very loud and horrible sound,do u know what could cause this because i don't,it also happens when u change gears and u r revving the engine to hard

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

I have to ask - why do you want to spin the wheels? Subaru went to a huge amount of effort to design a car that tries its best to NOT spin its wheels, regardless of the surface. That effort is reflected in the relatively high price of your car compared with 2wd equivalents.

An easy way to spin your wheels is to spill oil in front of all 4 of them. Then you'll have no traction at all, but you may miss it when you want to stop :eek: One trick you can do with your car that most others cannot manage is accelerate and corner safely on slippery surfaces like snow and mud. You've no advantage when you're stopping, though.

The loud and horrible sound is either traction control cutting in, or the gearbox or one of the differentials going out in an interesting and expensive way.

If you're looking for something to drift in (again, why?), you need a surplus of power over traction. With 4WD, you have a lot more traction which means you need a lot more power. Rear wheel drive tends to suit drifting better. If you cannot stretch to huge budgets on tyres and horsepower, you could buy a cheap MX5 and fit skinny 2CV wheels to it. You'd have no problem breaking traction then......

This isn't a troll, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Sounds like the traction control kickin in to me (if it is fitted)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 johnniekewl

i just found out what a troll was and NO, THIS IS NOT A "TROLL".
    i like tryin out a few tricks,,i don't really understand what the noise is though.
    i suppose it could be traction control -i really have no idea what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

i like tryin out a few tricks,,i don't really understand what the noise is though.
    You can find out pretty handy if it's traction control or not....go somewhere with limited traction (slippery uphill slope or a gravelly section of road). Floor the accelerator in first gear & you will hear the engine power falling as soon as the wheels start slippin

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

fletch wrote:
    go somewhere with limited traction (slippery uphill slope or a gravelly section of road). Floor the accelerator in first gear & you will hear the engine power falling as soon as the wheels start slippin

Yep, a wide open beach is good too and safe!

• Advertisement

Ah OK - Seriously, though, the Subaru Legacy is not really a car for "tricks". They're pitched at someone looking for a dependable robust workhorse with some creature comforts. Their 2.0 is fairly weak when not turbo charged (about 130bhp?). This car would be ideal at towing a small horse-box, or for light off-roading like a building site. Overall, Subarus love to grip more than spin.

I doubt that you've done much damage, but I wouldn't make a habit of dumping the clutch at high revs, assuming that it is you has to pay for any repairs.

With the 3.0 engine, the Legacy is quite a wolf in sheep's clothing being very quick from point A to point B. Still no good for tricks though.

i'm not the one payin for it but i try not to "dump" the clutch.it's doesn't have turbo and i have no idea what bhp it has.
    NONE

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Some cars have a switch around the dashboard to switch the traction control off. Not sure if Subaru do.

i'm not the one payin for it but i try not to "dump" the clutch.it's doesn't have turbo and i have no idea what bhp it has.
    NONE
    Officially its 137bhp. This is a pretty poor specific output for a naturally aspirated 2.0 these days, but there's a great noise that goes with it so you'd forgive it. The Turbo is 180bhp, the 3.0 is 245.

I quite like the Legacy - the latest model has quite a nice interior too.

there is no switch in this one,
    the legacy is a delicous car,i'm not driving the latest model,i'm driving the one previous to it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Cond0r

Officially its 137bhp. This is a pretty poor specific output for a naturally aspirated 2.0 these days, but there's a great noise that goes with it so you'd forgive it. The Turbo is 180bhp, the 3.0 is 245.

I quite like the Legacy - the latest model has quite a nice interior too.
    In all fairness... the B4 RSK is the only Legacy to have :)
    Mmmmm twin turbo...

what would the top speed be in this car?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

i'm not driving the latest model,i'm driving the one previous to it

The previous model (2002-2003) has only 125bhp
    what would the top speed be in this car?

194km/h

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭kevmac

Previous model has no traction control unless it is the Outback 3.0 with its VDC.

No turbo on previous model either.

I just swapped my Forester Sturbo (first generation) for a Legacy Spec B and boy have Subaru learned a thing or two about interiors from Audi - superb cockpit compared to the Forester's tractor interior.

Oh, the engine aint too bad eithericon10.gif

so,if this model does not come equipped with traction control what is making the disgusting noise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭ubu

probably the drive train trying not to snap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

so,if this model does not come equipped with traction control what is making the disgusting noise?

The brakes coning on (automatically) to stop the slipping wheel from slipping. Does it have ABS?.
    Anyway that car is too heavy and that engine too weak for tricks, other than on ice with slicks.. for tricks, get one of those 3.5LV6 Nissan Micros..

Try getting it to spin on a wet grassy field, if if cannot spin there, you got traction control, whether you wanted it or not.

as i found out on thursday night,the legacy is unbelievably good fun in gravel,like most cars i suppose but delicous sliiiiiiiides.yumm

Advertisement