Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heroine Central Nervous System

Options
  • 19-07-2005 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Did anybody see the small piece in the Sunday World Page 9 i think, how Kingscourt Co Cavan has become the Central Nervous System for heroine in the North East, its scary to think that such a small town can become so badly effected, you normally expect larger towns with numerous bars and clubs to be effected. its hard to believe that this town is mainly responsible for the distribution of heroine in the North East. :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

It has had this reputation for a few years now, so its not news to the locals.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Unbeliveable isn't it? As DMC said it has been bad for quite some time now, any time you look in the local courts pages you always see something on Kingscourt and Heroin or other Class A's. I think there was actually a survey on the worst affected towns by heroin in Ireland, I think Kingscourt came in 7th. That is including the large towns and cities...

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Adnerb

I take it DMC that you are a local? do you think its really as bad as the article in sundays paper makes out?

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I live 4 and a half miles from Kingscourt, and to be honest you wouldn't notice it. But the problem definately is there.

Adnerb wrote:
    I take it DMC that you are a local? do you think its really as bad as the article in sundays paper makes out?
    I agree with PN here. I used to live 10 miles away. To pass through Kingscourt, you don't see teenagers or homeless shooting up on every street corner, so it is not transparent.

And as for understanding the roots of the problem, I can't fathom for the life of me how it started (maybe, but I wont fully blame, an influx from our capital city.) Kingscourt has successful industry (Kingspan and Gypsum), its an old market town with a large rural hinterland, so it should be, by no means, a drugs hole.

• Advertisement

Just to add...

Its two years old, this headline... but it says a lot of where Kingscourt was, and how is it today....?
    Heroin problem no longer confined to Dublin
    (Source:'Heroin tightens grip on country': Irish Daily Star, p. 11, , 19 Oct 2003)

Provincial towns in Ireland are now dealing with a new scourge- heroin. Traditionally associated with Dublin, heroin addicts are now presenting for treatment in Cork, Limerick, Galway, Cavan and Waterford. Chronic addicts are now found in small towns like Arklow in Co. Wicklow, Kingscourt in Co. Cavan and Athlone in Co, Westmeath. “We are no longer dealing with a situation where heroin is confined to Dublin,” said a senior garda.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Those heroines with their capes and their superpowers, thinking they own the place...

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Adnerb

Yes, its got worse instead of improving. and its so annoying when you know there was people willing to do something about it 5/6 years ago when it was a small problem but no one in kingscourt wanted to admit there was a problem, these people got doors slammed in their faces when they tried to set up an awarness program, so they went elsewhere (bailieboro) were the awareness was welcomed....

they have a great organisation were they run programs for school kids to keep them occupied,they visit the school regularly not preaching to kids dont to do drugs, but telling them the reality, what they withness in there own homes and how there lives where effected, they offer driving lessons, encourage these kids to go all the way and do there driving test (at 17) and give them something to aim for to keep them of the street.

if only kingscourt opened its eyes when it was given the opportunity to so something it wouldnt be make these these astonishing head lines.

Advertisement