Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greg Bear / Iain m Banks

• 19-07-2005 1:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭

Just finished Darwin's Radio by Greg Bear an interesting read though probably makes more sense if you had studied evolutionary biology or had a masters in genetics, often tough going with complex science involved throughout, thought it was a good plot but could have been a better book imo.

Now I've always avoided Iain M Banks ever since I read the Wasp Factory, which wasn't to my tastes , but a few mates have recommended his SF books, the Algebraist being one currently touted as worth a read. Anyone read this or his other SF stuff , and comments? I've run out of Fantasy books now so must move on to the Science part :-)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

Some of Iain M Banks Sci fi is excellent and some of it is not toop great.

The culture novels are pretty fantastic. Read those.

Have a few books of his for sale in the books books boks thread in the general for sale forum.

Iain Banks writes in a couple of different styles, to the extent that it is like a completely different auther (maybe it is wouldn;t be the first time someone let someone else sell books from their established name)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I'm a fan of Bear's stuff, so I'd recommend you check out the 'Eon'/'Eternity'/'Legacy' series in particular. 'Moving Mar's is a great one off and, if you feel like something a bit more cyberpunk, check out the 'Queen of Angels'/'Slant' series.

Also, ya know he's got "Darwin's Children" out? It's the sequel to "Darwin's Radio". I've not read it yet but I do agree that "Darwin's Radio" was very heavy on the biology, so much so that I saw scientists criticize it for that (not that it was inaccurate).

Iain M. Banks is good, but he's a lot less "sciencey" than Bear would be. The Culture novels, as said, are worth reading: 'Consider Phleabas', 'The Player of Games', 'The Use of Weapons'...

Also in accessible sci-fi, I've got to recommend Peter F. Hamilton. The Night's Dawn trilogy is terrific sci-fi on a large scale, although the one-off novel 'Fallen Dragon' is perhaps better written. His earlier Mindstar stuff is good too.

One of the best sci-fi series is Stephen Donaldson's Gap series - intricately plotted, not too science heavy, with some memorable characters. Five books to it, although the first is very short.

Finally, if you're really wanting to tackle something a bit weightier, try and get David Zindell's 'Neverness' and the subsequent 'A Requiem for Homo Sapiens' trilogy. Beautiful, lyrical, and philosophical works that actually make you think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

just went out and bought Darwins children as they didn't have The Algebraist in stock , also got the new Robin Hobb one in hardback "shamans crossing".

Tried Donaldson many times, couldn't ever get into his characters though, may be time for a revisit.

I didn't like The Gap series except for the first book, although i did like Anghus Thermopylae a lot. This was a surprise because I love Donaldson's fantasy books.

Sci fi authors i like most are Arthur C Clarke, Asimov (although he gets a but predictable after a while), Gibson and Frank Herbert.

Read Dune by Frank Herbert. It is one of the best books I have ever read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

The likes of the wasp factory are pulished under Iain Banks by one publisher
    and his scifi works are published as Iain M Banks by a differnet publisher.
    Fitting as they are totally differnt in style and content.
    The scifi is well worth reading.

• Advertisement

pwd wrote:
    Read Dune by Frank Herbert. It is one of the best books I have ever read.
    And the subsequent five books. It was the inspiration my boards username - it must be good! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

ixoy wrote:
    Iain M. Banks is good, but he's a lot less "sciencey" than Bear would be. The Culture novels, as said, are worth reading: 'Consider Phleabas', 'The Player of Games', 'The Use of Weapons'...

I really enjoyed Consider Phleabas. It's probably one of the most action packed books I've ever read... it's just one breathtaking scene after another and the whole book feels very cinematic. It's not really much of a Science Fiction book, more Star Wars than Star Trek really... but some of the alien species are very well realised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

I really enjoyed Consider Phleabas. It's probably one of the most action packed books I've ever read... it's just one breathtaking scene after another and the whole book feels very cinematic. It's not really much of a Science Fiction book, more Star Wars than Star Trek really... but some of the alien species are very well realised.

i agree, consider phleabas really has a bit of everything in it, one of my favourite books, but i think use of weapons hits you harder (even though its written in a wierd way)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Never read an Iain M banks book I didn't like, the Algebraist is his latest novel outside the Culture sequence and one of his best, however his books as Iain Banks are of a more variable quality, thought The Bridge was fantastic but The Business was terrible.
    His mate Ken McLeod writes some great stuff too, Stone Canal, The Cassini Division

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭The Lopper

I couln't get into Consider Phleblas, maybe i just didn't give it enough of a chance, however i read a non S/F book of Bank's, Dead Air, which i thought was marvellous.

• Advertisement

i disliked dead air and the business, and thought the bridge was ok, but that malibu stork nightmares handled a similar premise better (by welsh)
    The crow road, espedair street, complicity and whit are probably his most entertaining non sci-fi books in my opinion.
    His sci-fi books are also vaired in quality I think. I don't remember which one was which oddly though. But all the culture ones were deadly :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Yes, and the names of the various ships in the culture series are fantastic.
    A warship called "A Frank Exchange Of Views", one woild give the revolution a second thought seeing that particular vessel hove into orbit.
    Not to mention the one that liked to mess with peoples heads, "Meat F***er" I think it is.
    He has also written a rather excellent book on Scotch, nice!
    And there was a compilation of music that shared the cover styles of his non-scifi books, he selected the tracks I believe.
    Use of Weapons is one of the best SciFi books I have had the honour of reading, a true classic with such depth and scope to make much of the current product of this much maligned genre appear shallow and trivial.

Must get one of those chairs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

CiDeRmAn wrote:
    Must get one of those chairs!
    indeed

one of the bes moments in a book i have ever read

But is it true that there will be no more Culture novels?
    What a crime,
    These books are worth at least 10 of every other title in my collection.

Everyone should have a drone, the more psychotic the better, again refer to use of weapons, fight in a bar, if my memory is right, pretty much one sided too, very sweet!

We know that Inversions is a Culture novel right!
    I mean, I have had a couple of arguments about this and it is ok!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Use of Weapons was ok, didnt like Consider Phelbas at all.
    I do like Greg Bear though, currently reading Anvil of Stars, follow up to Forge of God.
    Not as good as the 1st one but still worth the read and better than any Banks I've read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

You know, I've read Iain Banks, loved the Wasp Factory, but I've never actually read any Iain M. Banks.

Well then, get to it, if you like it dark, set aside some time and read Use of Weapons, simple as that. It should sort out any questions you may have about the authors scifi quality, heck the book is Literature as far as I'm concerned, reckon all who have read it would be in agreement there.

CiDeRmAn wrote:
    Well then, get to it, if you like it dark, set aside some time and read Use of Weapons, simple as that. It should sort out any questions you may have about the authors scifi quality, heck the book is Literature as far as I'm concerned, reckon all who have read it would be in agreement there.
    I'd agree. You can definetely tell he's actually a good writer, and not just good with sci-fi. It comes across in the wit and sharp characters. It's more noticable because sci-fi is usually bereft of such things: most authors are good on concept, grandoise ideas, etc. - but sci-fi rarely lends itself to sharp humour or good characters. For example, I'm reading "Redemption Ark" right now - nice ideas in it, like them a lot, but the dialog is prettty darned wonky.

Totally, all the greats in the field have had some trouble with characters, with only a couple of notable exceptions, micheal marshall smith, philip k dick.
    The likes of asimov and clarke wrote of fanatastical places but were really rubbish at populating them!

And no where is this more noticable than in tv sci-fi, awful stuff, when compared to its printed brethren, but thats another thread altogether I guess, I can see the trek fanboys now getting into a lather when you call there beloved show low brow!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Inversions:
    How many other people copped on that its actually a Culture novel?
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭stagolee

might not be a popular choice here but i have to say my favourite banks book was feersum enjine it was a nice mix of fairytale and sci-fi

Paricularly when it sets in that it is a space elevator, a very very large space elevator.

Though a mate who is as big a fan of Banks reckons its his worst, takes allsorts I guess.

ixoy wrote:
    For example, I'm reading "Redemption Ark" right now - nice ideas in it, like them a lot, but the dialog is prettty darned wonky.

Ah but you've got to love Reynolds! Far better than Banks imo and better than Bear too.

Diamond Dogs/Turquoise Days was great but found his stuff a little hard going, anyone out there care to explain cryptonomicon to me? Tried to read it but reckon I have jus found the limits of my brain, Wow, come to think of it, it is rather cramped in here.

CiDeRmAn wrote:
    Diamond Dogs/Turquoise Days was great but found his stuff a little hard going, anyone out there care to explain cryptonomicon to me? Tried to read it but reckon I have jus found the limits of my brain, Wow, come to think of it, it is rather cramped in here.

Thats Donalsdsons new book right?
    Reading Snow Crash right now, good but not living upto its hype yet. I suppose if you take into account when it was written its impressive.

Yeah, its a pretty recent one, but 100 pages in and I am trying to figure out why its in the Sci-fi section, or as easons call it, the fantasy next to the adult fiction section, just to keep all the embarrassing customers in one place!

mcgovern wrote:
    Thats Donalsdsons new book right?
    Reading Snow Crash right now, good but not living upto its hype yet. I suppose if you take into account when it was written its impressive.
    It's not Donaldson - it's Neal Stephenson! And it's not Neal Stephenson's newest either - that'd be the Baroque Cycle, a trilogy that's a loose prequel to 'Cryptonomicon'.

So. could you tell me what cryptonomicon is supposed to be about, please ixoy?

• Advertisement

ixoy wrote:
    It's not Donaldson - it's Neal Stephenson! And it's not Neal Stephenson's newest either - that'd be the Baroque Cycle, a trilogy that's a loose prequel to 'Cryptonomicon'.

*goes red with embarrassment*

Thats what I get for posting in a hurry in work I suppose

Advertisement