Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Group Broadband Scheme - Next 22 Towns

Options
  • 19-07-2005 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭

The DCMNR has just announced that a further 22 rural broadband projects have been approved under the County & Group Broadband Scheme (GBS).
    This includes my own town Ballina / Killaloe.
    thegills

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Limerick and hinterland did Great .

Miltownmalbay, Co. Clare
    · Croom, Co. Limerick
    · Bruff & Lough Gur, Co. Limerick
    · Ballingarry & Croagh, Co. Limerick
    · North East Wicklow
    · Rathkeale & Ardagh, Co. Limerick
    · Carnew, Co. Wicklow
    · Summerhill, Moynalvy & Kiltale, Co. Meath
    · Strandhill, Co. Sligo
    · Rosses Point, Co. Sligo
    · Banagher (Town Centre), Co. Offaly
    · Banagher (Hinterland), Co. Offaly
    · Ballymahon, Edgeworthstown & Keenagh, Co. Longford
    · Clare South East
    · Askeaton, Foynes & Shanagolden, Co. Limerick
    · Lahinch & Liscannor, Co. Clare
    · Oldcastle, Co. Meath
    · Killaloe, Co. Clare & Ballina, Co. Tipperary
    · Killmallock, Co. Limerick
    · Glengariff, Schull, Bantry, Ballydehob, Co. Cork
    · Carrickmacross (Rural), Co. Monaghan
    · Boardsmill, Co. Meath

Whats the difference between Clare South East and Killaloe/ Ballina by the way :) ???

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭BlueShaun

Wasnt edgeworthstown on the list of to be upgraded exchanges posted yesterday?

And Oldcastle

is Bruff the same Bruff?

Carnew?

Strandhill?

Askeaton?

Killaloe?

Surely these are all duplicates?

If this is using public money someone should lose their job....you would expect it to be at least checked before paying for a GBS

But then Im sure DCMNR are quite busy with MNR, and cant be expected to check such things.

Shaun

An enabled exchange in Rural Ireland means bugger all given the state of the lines. I know plenty of areas where a GBS is necessary to provision the rural hinterland of the exchange .

Were there any form of realistic guarantee that 80% of lines on an enabled exchange were to pass for BB from the day it is enabled then I could agree with your proposition blueshaun .

I live in a place that was turned down for a GBS, im less than 150metres from an exchange.

It just pisses me off that there is duplication of service, when so many places have absolutely none at all!

Im also very close to the border (less than a mile) where the british government wrote a cheque to BT to provide 100% access.

Cant regulation be introduced that forces voice operators to provide data, at a minimum rate?

or force them not to waste their money in areas where a GBS is enabled...

BlueShaun wrote:
    Cant regulation be introduced that forces voice operators to provide data, at a minimum rate?

ROFLMAO . Yer a gas man :) ! The last "regulation" that I can recall abolished that minimum rate while defining the internet as being fully functional at a speed of 0k on an Eircom line .

That was 2 years ago ....we will celebrate the anniversary in here next Monday , the 25th of July .

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

BlueShaun wrote:
    Surely these are all duplicates?

If this is using public money someone should lose their job....you would expect it to be at least checked before paying for a GBS
    ...because, as we all know, competition is a Bad Thing.

Right?

50% of the projects are satellite-based. I had hoped after the last announcement that satellite was on the way out.

Whatever about Bantry, who woulda thunk satellite was the only way to deliver bandwidth into the County Meath? Only an hour from Dublin, as the man used to say...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Whats the difference between Clare South East and Killaloe/ Ballina by the way
    I think Scarriff, Ogonnello and a couple of other towns on West Lough Derg submitted an application
    Surely these are all duplicates
    Yes. I can only speak for Ballina / Killaloe. When eircom got wind that communities that were p*ssed of with the lack of broadband were applying for GBS funding then they suddenly released a list of 200 towns who were to be enabled. I lobbied eircom for 2 years with no joy then hey presto they are working all over the town upgrading ducts / lines etc.
    50% of the projects are satellite-based
    Where did you get this info??
    thegills

thegills wrote:
    .Where did you get this info??
    Its a word doc just below the list of towns , that Meath project is actually right on top of the Western Digital Corridor , a government funded fibre project, and using VSAT ..........FFS :(

Mindya the government put a VSAT GBS on top of a MAN in Gweedore so whats unusual there. Limerick and the Midwest look cack now !
    [font=&quot]

[/font]

oscarBravo wrote:
    ...because, as we all know, competition is a Bad Thing.

Right?

This isint competition....you are aware who pays for it right?

Its looking like those ****wits at eircon have piled on the announcements to try and curb the GBS takeup....

• Advertisement

Sponge Bob wrote:
    ROFLMAO . Yer a gas man :) ! The last "regulation" that I can recall abolished that minimum rate while defining the internet as being fully functional at a speed of 0k on an Eircom line .

That was 2 years ago ....we will celebrate the anniversary in here next Monday , the 25th of July .

Doh.
    I believe this is a requirement in germany, not 100% sure though.

BlueShaun wrote:
    This isint competition....you are aware who pays for it right?
    Why isn't it competition, and who pays for what?
    BlueShaun wrote:
    Its looking like those ****wits at eircon have piled on the announcements to try and curb the GBS takeup....
    ...and if we're not careful, it will work. Some communities I've spoken to about this were doubtful about going the GBS route, on the grounds that they'd have DSL "sometime next year". My point to them was that if they get a GBS now and DSL next year, they'll have a choice - this is a Good Thing for a consumer. If they wait until next year, a select few will be able to avail of DSL and the area will be ineligible for a GBS. No-brainer, really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

oscarBravo wrote:
    50% of the projects are satellite-based. I had hoped after the last announcement that satellite was on the way out.

Whatever about Bantry, who woulda thunk satellite was the only way to deliver bandwidth into the County Meath? Only an hour from Dublin, as the man used to say...

You dissing my town(Bantry) beotch???

Im not sure why Bantry is getting a rural BB thingy as our exchange was enabled a year ago and my BT 2Mbit connection is working just fine.
    Bantry is also supposed to have a MAN...now a Wireless service!!!
    Hell its only a town of 2,000 with another 2,000 in the area!

Whoever is trying to flog that wireless BB is living in space as 512/128 with a monthly charge of €50 and installation of €300 wont go down well for their target subscriber.

zuma wrote:
    You dissing my town(Bantry) beotch???
    Would I? ;)

I was making a vague reference to the idea of satellite being a solution of last resort for particularly remote areas. My idea of an area that needs satellite is more rural Afghanistan than rural West Cork (and certainly not rural Greater Dublin (aka Meath)), but that's another day's work.

Interestingly, I managed to pick out one of the areas that's actually not getting a satellite solution, which surely reinforces my point: if Ballydehob doesn't need satellite backhaul, why does Meath?
    zuma wrote:
    Im not sure why Bantry is getting a rural BB thingy as our exchange was enabled a year ago and my BT 2Mbit connection is working just fine.
    Bantry is also supposed to have a MAN...now a Wireless service!!!
    Hell its only a town of 2,000 with another 2,000 in the area!
    I'm guessing that a substantial portion of the hinterland of Bantry/Schull/Ballydehob/Glengariff can't avail of service from the Bantry exchange, and as such qualify as underserved.
    zuma wrote:
    Whoever is trying to flog that wireless BB is living in space as 512/128 with a monthly charge of €50 and installation of €300 wont go down well for their target subscriber.
    The community representatives agree the packages, including costs, with the service provider before the proposal is submitted for approval.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭formatman

slightly off topic but where was the lsit of upgraded exhanges posted yesterday ?...

My exchange is listed in that first post but the equipment for DSL is already in there , just waiting to be comissioned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

oscarBravo wrote:
    Would I? ;)

I was making a vague reference to the idea of satellite being a solution of last resort for particularly remote areas. My idea of an area that needs satellite is more rural Afghanistan than rural West Cork (and certainly not rural Greater Dublin (aka Meath)), but that's another day's work.

Interestingly, I managed to pick out one of the areas that's actually not getting a satellite solution, which surely reinforces my point: if Ballydehob doesn't need satellite backhaul, why does Meath? I'm guessing that a substantial portion of the hinterland of Bantry/Schull/Ballydehob/Glengariff can't avail of service from the Bantry exchange, and as such qualify as underserved. The community representatives agree the packages, including costs, with the service provider before the proposal is submitted for approval.

They were actually testing out Satellite BB for the ESA in Durrus(west west west Cork) last year.
    Basically the exchange services about 2,000 people within the town limits(DSL should reach everyone in the town)...but outside that people are screwed!!!

Personially I couldnt care how much they price it at...but Ive already talken to a couple of people who would have payed €30-€40 a month but the €300 installation+equipment was far too expensive for them so they wont be getting it.

Advertisement