Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TNS v Liverpool - Will contain scores

• 19-07-2005 2:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭

Champions League. You're 3-0 down, you've been out played and out classed and you're half way through. Surely there is no way back.

Match is on ITV2. I've got it on my UK FTV card.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭MooShop

Liverpool will ease past them. Benitez is fielding a strong team as well just to make sure there's no slip up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

Yep, Famous last words but this should be straight forward tonight. It would be nice to see a couple of the forwards score. Who do we have in the next round again. (I think they won their first leg 4-1).

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

emc2 wrote:
    Who do we have in the next round again. (I think they won their first leg 4-1).
    Either HB Torhavn or FBK Kaunas. It's 4-2 to FBK Kaunas which they won away so it's pretty much a done deal that we'll be playing them. Tie will be played next Tuesday at 9:45PM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

Does anyone know if there is a live feed for this game somewhere?

liverpoolfc.tv if u have an eseason ticket

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Come on TNS :D

Get at least one goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

dudek isn't playin so tns cahces of scoring is halved ... i reckon 3-0 again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

LFCFan wrote:

And if you dont.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

jcoote wrote:
    dudek isn't playin so tns cahces of scoring is halved ...

Thats prrobably what Shevchenko thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

1-0 cisse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

nice left foot strike inside the box, poor defending by TNS.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭susanna

LFCFan wrote:

I have one but it keeps breaking up on me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

WTF???? Its not footie commentary as I know it.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Its working now, strange. Bit like a silent movie in colour..with sound! :D

Mike.

Who let Hamann take that penalty?
    Really poor penalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Should of been 1-1 (4-1) i could of scored that follow up

• Advertisement

Whoa!!!!!

On comes Gerrard. They ain't exactly cutting a dash are they?

Mike.

bizmark wrote:
    Should of been 1-1 (4-1) i could of scored that follow up

Could have, but pretty sure you wouldn't have. It came back at him very fast. Very unlucky for Beck though, was a great strike.

Alonso didn't look too happy about being brought off for Gerrard mind you.

I wouldn't be suprised if a championship team pick up the TNS keeper Doherty.
    He has kept the score down almost single handedly for TNS.

What a goal for Gerrard!!!
    Struck from 30 yards with his right foot!

2-0 Liverpool

3-0.

Be f*cked without Gerrard :)

5 goals for gerrard this season already.
    couldn't ask for a better start to his new contract.
    Liverpool would have struggled without him over the two legs, which is a bit scary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

that is scary and true...crouch will make a difference :rolleyes:... he's still a prick or ****in the club around

Relax lads we had a 3-0 cushion going into this game, making this a glorified friendly. Bit soon for the 'we're a one man team' brigade to start sounding off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

If not for Gerrard that would have finished 1-0 on aggregate. ;)

Feel sorry for TNS, especially Doherty, he played excellent! But he will probably be snapped up by a larger team, which is some consolation I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

evilhomer wrote:
    5 goals for gerrard this season already.
    couldn't ask for a better start to his new contract.
    Liverpool would have struggled without him over the two legs, which is a bit scary
    he's nearly got as many as Baros last season already.... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

I was disappointed with the performance but there was some positives. Zenden is putting in crosses which Cisse is nowhere near (he appears to me to not like attacking the ball) but will have a higher probability of finding someone like Crouch.

La Tellec didn't do a whole lot but I saw a little more promising movement from him - more then the last match at least to indicate that he'll develop into something useful. Potter as well played quite well, especially towards the end I thought when Gerrard seemed to perk Finnan up to provide him a bit more support. Figo could actually have a good impact for Potter. I don't expect Figo to play every game and Potter shouldn't play every game, and he could learn quite a lot from him.

Whitbread seemed composed but I guess if he hadn't then, well... He seems comfortable on the ball even if we didn't get to see any test of defensive ability against TNS.

Still haven't seen too much from Reina, three moments of note which is not much to go on. An excellent punch which was decisive and confident (not to mention powerful, well cleared the area). The dissallowed goal, I'm pretty sure he heard the whistle and didn't bother trying. The shot that got past him and hit the post, that was excellently struck and he came close to getting a finger to it anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

p.pete wrote:
    I was disappointed with the performance but there was some positives. Zenden is putting in crosses which Cisse is nowhere near (he appears to me to not like attacking the ball) but will have a higher probability of finding someone like Crouch

i hope so, i noticed zenden does put a lot of balls in the box, it will be interesting to see if crouch can bang any of these in.
    p.pete wrote:
    Figo could actually have a good impact for Potter.

i agree. figo might take the "one man team" image off us too, and add a bit of flair on the wing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

I noticed Zenden does put a lot of balls in the box, it will be interesting to see if Crouch can bang any of these in
    It's one thing doing it against TNS; how many decent balls did he cross in for Middlesboro / Holland lover the last few years??? I see Zenden as a decent replacement for Smicer.
    I wonder how Morientes feels about the signing of Crouch?
    thegills

I can see Crouch being played mostly away from home in the PL, feeding off crosses from our wingers. In fairness, if he can score 16 goals in 24 games with woeful service in a relegation team, imagine what he could possibly do for us.

I'd expect Morientes to be first choice in the CL.

As for Reina, one thing I've noticed is that he has no trouble marshalling the defence, and letting them know exactly what he thinks when they've messed up. He might only be in the door but he's not afraid to assert himself with his new teammates

I've beenvery impressed with what I've seen from Reina so far. He looks very confident and his distribution is excellent. This in turn will instill more confidence in the defense which is something we'd lost thanks to some very dodgy keeping from Dudek. It's been a long time since we've had a solid keeper so fingers crossed this is the man we need.

Zenden has also impressed, although time will tell if he can do the same against better opposition. Against weaker teams at home I'd play this team:

Reina

Finnan-Carra-Sami
    Garcia-Alonso-Gerrard-Zenden-Riise
    Cisse--Morientes

With this Riise could drop back to left back if more defense is needed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

LFCFan wrote:
    I've beenvery impressed with what I've seen from Reina so far. He looks very confident and his distribution is excellent.
    He gave the defence last night a right rollocking after that shot came in from Beck that hit the post.
    His punch was awesome and something you'll only get from a confident keeper and last week when he came for the ball and levelled Riise was something we've been lacking for years. It takes some thing else to floor that big Norwegian lump....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

p.pete wrote:
    Potter as well played quite well, especially towards the end I thought when Gerrard seemed to perk Finnan up to provide him a bit more support. Figo could actually have a good impact for Potter. I don't expect Figo to play every game and Potter shouldn't play every game, and he could learn quite a lot from him.
    Did Potter start to play well when he moved into the centre or was he out on the right for the whole match? He has looked some player when playing in the AMC role but has never impressed me on the right. Benitez is playing him there for experience but he's now a year with the first team squad, he should be now playing in his correct position when it comes to the likes of TNS.

Examples of him playing better in the centre are Middlesbrough in the Carling cup. Partridge came on and played on the right. Potter moved into the centre. Both Partridge and Potter set up Mellor's 2 goals. Another was Millwall away in the Carling cup. Finnan came on after an hour or so and played on the right of midfield. Potter moved into the centre. He took the shot which led to Baros' first and superbly set up Baros for his second. Surely these should warrant a start in his favourite position?

Benitez is trying to give him a future at liverpool by developing him as a winger, he has no future at liverpool in the centre of midfield because thats where we are strongest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Potter has no chance of getting his game in the centre though. At least a RW we are short on quality and he can get his game.

He'll never make it on the right though. Benitez let a right winger go who is 3 times better than him in that position. :) Useless trying to turn Potter into a winger. Might aswell be a 20 year old Gerrard being turned into a right winger. We probably wouldn't know him today.

• Advertisement

He has more chance on the right than the centre. Gerrard played many a time on the wing...The thing is he made the central position his own, potter isnt as good as gerrard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

eirebhoy wrote:
    He'll never make it on the right though. Benitez let a right winger go who is 3 times better than him in that position. :) Useless trying to turn Potter into a winger. Might aswell be a 20 year old Gerrard being turned into a right winger. We probably wouldn't know him today.
    Of course Richie Partridge, for Gods sake people let it go.

As regards Potter on the right. Gerrard began his career on the right, or at right back, didnt do him to bad ;)

From what Ive seen from Potter I havnt been impressed to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

eirebhoy wrote:

I dont really think he is making him a right winger, just giving him game time. Personnaly i dont think potter is good enough to be a regular liverpool player.

I can see him being a squad member for the next season. He should then have the cop on to leave to get regular playing time. SOmething which partridge didnt do.

From what Ive seen from Potter I havnt been impressed to be honest.
    Unless you watch the reserve games and/or Ireland underage games you will only really seen him on the right. The point I've been trying to get across is he has been poor on the right but excellent when moved to the centre.

Davei141 - Of course he's as good as Gerrard. Madrid had a £30m bid turned down for Potter a few days ago don't you know!

Chucky - No need to go into the Partridge situation but there's a lot more to it than sitting on his arse for 8 or 9 years waiting for his chance. I don't think Potter will make it at Liverpool either but at least let him try to prove it with a game against TNS in the centre rather than on the wing.

You made the comparison by saying if gerrard was played on the wing hed be in obscurity, so dont get smart. Its your elevation of mediocre irish players that lead me to point out the obvious, that potter isnt as good as gerrard and isnt good enough for liverpool.

Davei141 wrote:
    You made the comparison by saying if gerrard was played on the wing hed be in obscurity, so dont get smart. Its your elevation of mediocre irish players that lead me to point out the obvious, that potter isnt as good as gerrard and isnt good enough for liverpool.
    I think its my elevation of mediocre Irish players that made you judge my post. Read my posts again. I never once stated he'd even make it at Liverpool, never mind push Gerrard onto the bloody bench.

If Biscan and Welsh can get a chance to impress in the centre in the Carling cup, surely Potter should get one.

You wanted him to play in the centre, why play a player in a positon he never has a hope of maintaining? Was my point all along. The fact benitez is giving him a game on the wing is more promising for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ianomccabe

I believe Potter can be a Liverpool regular in years to come. It's up to him i suppose.

Benitez has let most of the "promising" youngsters go already, Partridge, Otsemebor etc.

Welsh has been told he can go if he finds a club. The two that he has earmarked for first team action are warnock and potter.

For anyone who seen potter in action last season they will know that he posesses the rare quality whereby he is able to dictate the pace of the game. somethin which Gerrard is also able to do very well. Although potter has been doing it on a reserve level, i feel that by playing him at RM Rafa is exposing him to the pace of first team football. This can only serve him well, like it did Gerrard who played at right back in his first season.

eirebhoy wrote:
    If Biscan and Welsh can get a chance to impress in the centre in the Carling cup, surely Potter should get one.
    Where are biscan and welsh now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Well.....getting your chance and taking it are two different things :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement