Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Film Magazine Subscriptions

• 19-07-2005 2:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭

Hey, I was wondering if anyone could help me regarding this issue,

Im trying to get a subscription to Empire and possibly Total Film in Ireland, but the only sites that offer them are British and charge ridiculous prices for a 1 year subscription ( £85 for one year!). Would anybody know of anywhere in Ireland that does subscriptions to peoples houses?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

did you check their publishers sites ??

i dunno, i got a year(13 issues) subscription to sfx for 50 euro.
    the only other suggestion i have is call somewhere like forbidden planet/easons/tower and see if they do that sort a thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭Serbian

herobear wrote:
    did you check their publishers sites ??

i dunno, i got a year(13 issues) subscription to sfx for 50 euro.
    the only other suggestion i have is call somewhere like forbidden planet/easons/tower and see if they do that sort a thing

Empire often have a form inside the magazine itself (it must be in there every month, but I don't always notice it) which quotes prices for the Empire subscription. I was an Empire subscriber for 13 issues from last February to this March and I found that at best the magazines arrive 1 to 2 weeks later, and at worst I wouldn't have received the magazine yet and the next issue would be out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Empire has gone terrible lately anyway. There's usually only about 5 pages given over to movie reviews. And you get terrible little reviews for some films with just over 50 words in them.

It all just seems to be about hyping up films that are coming out in the near future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭StonedParadoX

Total Film > empire mag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Kennington

Empire do have the special subscription prices but its only for the U.K, its £85 (over three times as much) to get it delivered to Ireland!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Total Film is a joke. Written by clueless jerks.

ObeyGiant wrote:
    Total Film is a joke. Written by clueless jerks.
    Empire are just as bad these days with their reviews. At least Total Film puts a bit more information into their reviews.

I certainly wouldn't trust either of those magazines for reviews though... the amount of absolute rubbish that gets great reviews is ridiculous.

You've got to love the 'projected attention span graph' in Total Film though... it's a pretty stupid idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

You've got to love the 'projected attention span graph' in Total Film though... it's a pretty stupid idea.

i love that bit :D

RuggieBear wrote:
    i love that bit :D
    oh yes.... it's always great fun...

10 minutes in - Main character talks about his father
    34 minutes in - CAR CRASH!!!
    57 minutes in - Main character has tea with his aunt
    83 minutes in - Fireworks factory explodes!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

empire is up its own ass and has more and more ads but we must all agreee that total film is cheaper effort and its more tacky and it's more ladsy which i detest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Rdwrer

Can I resurrect this thread and ask if anyone knows if there are good places to subscribe to Empire magazine. Easons do it but it's €101.53 for a year!!! That's €8.50 an issue which is about €2 more than if you bought them in the shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Can I resurrect this thread and ask if anyone knows if there are good places to subscribe to Empire magazine. Easons do it but it's €101.53 for a year!!! That's €8.50 an issue which is about €2 more than if you bought them in the shop.

Why not subscribe directly with them, its £48 for a year through their site.

Waste of money though if you ask me, its the worst "review" source around.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,913 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I wouldn't bother. Critical reviews have a way of adversely affecting advertising revenue.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

If you have a tablet (or even large screen phone) you could get a digital subscription through Zinio:

Empire £35.99
    Total Film £23.33

Cheaper than the print editions

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Rdwrer

I think that's the best option alright.

It's for my 15 year old son so I don't think he's too worried about reviews. He can check them on RottenTomatoes and IMDb (which he probably has before the magazine even arrives).
    Mizu_Ger wrote: »
    If you have a tablet (or even large screen phone) you could get a digital subscription through Zinio

It's nice to have something delivered to the house for him as well as getting his face out of a phone, computer, tablet and read something the old fashioned way :)

Thanks for your help.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Point about Empire: when it comes to renew it, they jack up the cost dramatically. But if you don't renew and then take out a "new" sub, then you get the cheaper price again.

I've just let mine lapse, as I found I wasn't getting around to reading the magazine, and some of the news felt out of date. I prefer magazines that aren't playing catch-up to the internet now.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Point about Empire: when it comes to renew it, they jack up the cost dramatically. But if you don't renew and then take out a "new" sub, then you get the cheaper price again.

I've just let mine lapse, as I found I wasn't getting around to reading the magazine, and some of the news felt out of date. I prefer magazines that aren't playing catch-up to the internet now.

The only film magazine that matches that criteria for me these days is Sight & Sound, which also has the happy side effect whereby a good half of any given issue is about films or filmmakers I have never heard of :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Fysh wrote: »
    The only film magazine that matches that criteria for me these days is Sight & Sound, which also has the happy side effect whereby a good half of any given issue is about films or filmmakers I have never heard of :)

Little White Lies is good too, they usually theme each issue around the main film they're reviewing (most recent issue was Carol, so it was all about New Queer Cinema and films related to that), I've come across some really interesting stuff through it. Also the artwork and design is lovely, which is nice when you're paying for a physical copy because you get a nice object as well as good content.

I do like Sight and Sound but I avoid it because I can't help myself from reading their almost scene-by-scene recaps/reviews of films I haven't seen yet :pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Little White Lies looks vg. Do they stock it anywhere in Dublin? Would like to buy one before deciding on a sub.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Little White Lies looks vg. Do they stock it anywhere in Dublin? Would like to buy one before deciding on a sub.

They have it in Eason and O'Briens in Galway, so I'd imagine most decent sized newsagents in Dublin would have it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement