Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless setup in house

• 19-07-2005 4:11pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just about to order the BT bb package - and have a wireless enabled laptop & a desktop upstairs.

What is the best route to go to enable both on the new package.

Q - a router (which type) for the laptop & hard-wire the desk or get a wirless card for the desktop also ??

Thanks for your input.

where will i request folks for spare routers ??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

I personally use a NETGEAR DG834G with Eircom's broadband product and find it great. Other people recommend Linksys routers. See this thread .

Basically, the all-in-one boxes like the one provided by Netgear and Linksys do everything from replacing your ADSL modem, to providing a wired router and switch to a wireless network so you can connect both your wireless laptop and your wired pc at the same time and share the web connection.

You can buy these devices cheaper on Ebay than you would in a shop. You could also post a Wanted ad in Shop > For Sale > FS Computer Hardware > Wanted Computer Hardware

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

Personally would go with the Linksys WRT54Gs or WRT54G only difference one has speedbooster and the other doesn't.

For Nic again try to keep them from the same company -
    This one Linksys Wireless-G PCI 54 Mbps 802.11g SpeedBooster, WPA/AES

All my kit two laptops one desktop and a server in the attic all have the same nics in them and the router i have is the wrt54Gs -
    When all equipment is the same in my case with speedbooster instead of 54mbps i'm hitting around 108Mbps.

Also a plus is the firmware for the router can be hacked with other open source firmwares for extra options and stability.

Example By default the wrt54gs has wep/wpa with the hacked you have wpa2 encryption.
    Always had linksys and cisco in work would'nt swap them for anything else ;)
    Easy to setup.

Advertisement