Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anything Wrong With This Network?

• 19-07-2005 6:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭

I have a few q's regarding image below;

1) Is the set-up ok?

2) Am I duplicating any equipment? (ie: can it be done cheaper?)

3) I've read multi-function printers don't work properly on networks. Something about only the printing services being available. My question is, if I feed the phone line in the back, as per diagram, can I have the fax permanently on, and also the printer available to the network?

4) If USB 1.0 (in theory) runs at 12mbps, and my BB is 2mb, I presume there is no advantage to using a wireless ethernet bridge instead of usb for the iMac?

5) Are there any obvious cross-platform issues here? Can both iMac and Laptop access both printers? File sharing is not a neccessity.

Cheers folks!

Network Option 1

Edit: Just noticed my 3-in-1 printer is going to be beside the modem/router. Can I just connect this straight to the modem by ethernet, and leave my inkjet beside my iMac? Will they be available on the network? will this get rid of the print server?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

My only suggestion would be don't use Belkin Kit. I've had to return two wireless routers in the space of a week. They drop connections and God forbid you need to connect to an office using a VPN connection. Take a look at some netgear or Linksys gear instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭ButtermilkJack

Yeh I've heard Netgear and Linksys are good. My only concern is that they don't look good! OK, I know, if they work well, who cares what they look like, but some of them look like they've been built from a lego kit by a five-year-old. At least the Belkin have some style imo.

Thanks for the heads-up though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭JoyPad

LoGiE wrote:
    My only suggestion would be don't use Belkin Kit. I've had to return two wireless routers in the space of a week. They drop connections and God forbid you need to connect to an office using a VPN connection.
    I've had one of these myself, and I've experienced the problem you're talking about when I tried WEP or WPA and DHCP together. If you turn off the DHCP server on the Belkin, then there's no problem in getting a connection working for weeks. Secured with your choice of encryption.
    It's a known problem, and until a new firmware is out, this is the only workaround.

HTH,
    JP

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

A USB dongle will be fine for the iMac - just make sure it has the range seeing as its a little less directional ...i.e if you're on the edge of the range and the dongle is at the opposite side to the AP..

Max range will be about 35/40ft from router. Most likely less, about 20ft.

By 'AP' you mean....?

• Advertisement

AP = the wireless access point - the adsl router/modem . 35 - 40 ft will be fine (assuming no stone walls etc etc).

Ah, got you! Not too up on the abbreviations yet. Cheers :)

Should be ok, it's just party walls, it's a timber-frame apartment.

You can't answer my question re the printing situation can you :confused: Basically, I need to know if it's neccessary to buy a print-server, or can I just hook up my Epson inkjet to the iMac and the laser printer/fax to the router. If I do this, I presume my Epson will only be available to the laptop when the iMac is on, and the printer/fax will be available to both machines always.

BTW, the laptop is PC, can I print to the Epson through the Mac?

Thanks for the help so far!!

When I had a windows only network -printer sharing worked fine. I haven't tried it out since I added a mac to the equation (it hosts the printer).

I doubt that the router (on its own) can share out the laser printer - ya basically need something which will do the spooling etc and manage the sharing etc - for that a dedicated print server (or old pc) should do the job.

Certainly a dedicated print wireless print server should do the job but it would be no harm to try

Advertisement