Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom download limit a joke

• 19-07-2005 6:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭

I had an account with Eircom the home starte plan that was $35 euro per month with free connection and 3 months free and that had a 8GB download limit and unlimited upload limit.

I have moved house and have just ordered the same package today however I have just checked their website and found that the download limit has gone down to a measly 4GB per month and the upload limit just 1GB!!, totally crap considering theres a family of us who download big audio and video files. plus I had to pay a $40 euro connection fee and there were no free months. Whats worse they were advertising that the price had dropped to $30. They offer a home plus package with a 16GB but its $55 euro per month with a $100 connection fee, and they probably wont let me upgrade to this for a while.

Compare Eircoms download limit to otheres its seriously crap.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

To solve this problem.....dont get eircom.....simple!!!!

They'll learn soon enough.

Like most people here with their money saving caps on...get BT+Linre Rental for €40(1Mb 12GB CAP) or €50(2MB 24GB CAP).
    The only reason why eircom has the cheek to offer what you have stated above is because people will get their BB no matter how expensive it is due to name recognition and also because the blonde girl on TV said its good.
    Is it any wonder we live in R.O.I. (Rip-Off-Ireland)???

Haha...you can sign up to any package you want....no waiting/upgrade time required!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭formatman

why didn't you go with BT's new offer then ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭odie

They are trying to get everone to switch to eircom broadband time is my guess. Get em all on Timed internet "Again".

Notice they haven't dropped the price of their eircom broadband home plus because it's a big moneyspinner same as the timed product.

Now we know why they brought out timed....to eventually replace their standard offering. Cute whooors

What balls eircom management has to offer 2Mbit 16CAP at €54.45 and BT offers the exact same service with a 24GB CAP at €40!!!!!!!

Thats 36% more expensive!!!!!!!

Whoever here has purchased eircoms 2Mbit product in the last month is not firing on all cyclinders!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭StonedParadoX

i'd of chosen bt if i could but im no where near em

• Advertisement

i'd of chosen bt if i could but im no where near em

Dont type as you would speak....v.difficult to decode!!!

BT mainly offer their services through eircom bitstream.....you can get BT BB if you can get eircom BB...plain and simple!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭madfistbt

formatman wrote:
    why didn't you go with BT's new offer then ?

To be fair I had no problems with the Eircom broadband home starter before 8GB wasnt exactly generous, but it was just about enough. To half this is a complete pisstake , an utter joke. I should have checked before I ordered the damm thing, I guarantee there is a minimum contract on it so I wont be able to cancel it!!, whats more they said it wont be active until the 5th of August is this standard time, I ordered it today??

In England pratically all of them offer unlimited downloads for cheaper. I just went on bts website and they seem to be offering it in my area Merrion, a insanly better offer 40 euro a month with a 24GB CAP. I hope Eircom learn there lesson soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭air

We have Eircom BB here in our office & BT have told me they dont offer it in this area - Ennis?

air wrote:
    We have Eircom BB here in our office & BT have told me they dont offer it in this area - Ennis?

BT LLU is probable not available...........BT Home BB is available where ever eircom DSL is available.

madfistbt wrote:
    To be fair I had no problems with the Eircom broadband home starter before 8GB wasnt exactly generous, but it was just about enough. To half this is a complete pisstake , an utter joke. I should have checked before I ordered the damm thing, I guarantee there is a minimum contract on it so I wont be able to cancel it!!, whats more they said it wont be active until the 5th of August is this standard time, I ordered it today??

In England pratically all of them offer unlimited downloads for cheaper. I just went on bts website and they seem to be offering it in my area Merrion, a insanly better offer 40 euro a month with a 24GB CAP. I hope Eircom learn there lesson soon.

Dont bet on it as Ireland is still full of too many people with too much money in their pockets and not enough sense to use it properly!!!
    Damn if Ireland was physically attached to areas in the world who have FiOS then the ISP's would be jumping over each other to offer us FTTH!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭air

zuma wrote:
    BT LLU is probable not available...........BT Home BB is available where ever eircom DSL is available.
    Yep I think home BB is available here all right, what gives?

air wrote:
    Yep I think home BB is available here all right, what gives?

Well BT offer their Business BB mostly over the 40 exchanges dotted in cities and large towns around Ireland.
    If you live outside of one of the LLU enabled exchanges then you are stuck with using eircom/digiweb/netsource...etc unless BT have a new agreement with eircom to offer Business BB using eircoms infrastructure.

Business BB earns a lot for the ISP's as speed increases cost nothing and the extra GB transferred in a month is of very little cost to the ISP's...so they try and keep it inhouse so to speak to make as much money as possible.

=========================================================
    And speaking of 2Mbit Home...there is very little stopping eircom from rolling out Home BB Plus at 4Mbit/s....but the fact that they would loose a lot of money as Businnes would then demand a speed increase or a price drop....remember how fast they rolled out 2Mbit when Smart looked menacing???
    It sickens me as soon BT UK customers will be able to enjoy 8Mbit Home DSL!!!....why cant the azzholes offer 8Mbit DSL through their LLU exchanges here???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭madfistbt

Ok, Ive just got a reply from eircom , I emailed them asking why the limit had gone down to 4GB and how I could cancel, and they replied saying that it is actually 8GB??? How confusing is this? The following link clearly states it is 4GB http://www.eircom.ie/cgi-bin/bvsm/bveircom/store/productDetails.jsp
    I hope she is right, Im gonna phone them tommorow to make sure, I bet they tell me its actually 4GB.

Ok that link dont seem to work

eircom broadband home starter also gives you
    Monthly downstream / upstream speeds: 1mb downstream and 128k upstream.*
    Monthly megabyte allowance: 4 GB download / 1 GB upload.
    Technical support number: 1890 260 260.**
    Always on connection: delivers super fast speeds and the ability to work online without disruption

Advertisement