Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ata 133 Pci RAID Card

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,469 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

it wont reconize my dvd rw drive i have connected to it

It will only work with IDE Hard disks. You can't use it for CD / DVD drives

You can still connect any CD or DVD drive to any of the IDE/ATA connectors on your motherboard directly

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Why would you connect a DVD drive to a RAID card?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

but it says no controller :-\

edit: because im stupid maybe ??? lol no but i wanted to connect it to that card and i was told it would make my computer burn 2 discs at a time faster instead of on a single channel

Have you installed the drivers that came with it?

yes and it says this device is working properly in device manager :-\ but it dont show up in the program that i got for it...

• Advertisement

i was told it would make my computer burn 2 discs at a time faster instead of on a single channel
    Ummm, that's not true.
    Whomever told you that was talking through their arse tbh.

RAID cards are for hard drives only as unkel has said

<edit>What program?</edit>

so if i get a normal ide/ata card should it work? i dont know anything about RAID so lol...

edit:just the software that came with it that tells which devices are connected and stuff...

Why can't you just plug the drive into your motherboard IDE connectors?

<edit>There are no devices that it recognises connected, so that's why you're getting that message</edit>

i only have 2 :-\ and one is for my hd and one for my other dvdrw drive...i have looked on alot of dvd burning forums like www.afterdawn.com and they state that you have to run the drive on a seperate channel as a master to burn 2 at a time in the same amount of time it would take one for a sperate drive.

edit:so if i hook my hd up to the RAID card it should work?

So you have two DVD drives? One reader and one writer? (if you don't then you DO NOT have to change your current configuration)

Here's how you should do it (going to bed after I write this)

Each channel can take 2 devices. So hook your harddrive up to one channel as master, hook the DVD reading drive up to this as slave.
    Hook the DVD-RW up to the other channel as master.

Hey presto, easy, fast, on-the-fly burning.

You don't need the RAID card if that was what you wanted it for.

If you rip DVD's to your hard drive use the DVD-RW to do it as it will be faster than the DVD reader. But the disc-to-disc burning will be fastest this way.

Hope this helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

WizZard wrote:

Each channel can take 2 devices. So hook your harddrive up to one channel as master, hook the DVD reading drive up to this as slave.
    Hook the DVD-RW up to the other channel as master.

that sums up the solution, each channel takes 2 devices, so thats 4 in total, u dont need an ide cardunless u have 5 devices or more.

no man i have 2 * pioner dvdrw dl burners and want to burn 2 dvds simultaneously

no man i have 2 * pioner dvdrw dl burners and want to burn 2 dvds simultaneously

yep then having 1 drive on each channell should be fine

thanks gline so the hd will work on the card?

thanks gline so the hd will work on the card?

no, a raid card is for 2 or more hdds, google raid and you will see what i mean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

unkel wrote:
    It will only work with IDE Hard disks. You can't use it for CD / DVD drives

All IDE RAID cards I've ever seen are also ATAPI compatible.

In fact, I've two in this computer which are used only for optical devices and have never seen a hard disk.

ok where can i find a ide card that supports dvdrw drives???

i thought it was ATAPI compatible compatible, i told my da what to get and he went to peats and bought it and the bloke said it was so iunno :-\

edit:maybe not compatible with my mobo? dont think that would be it though :(

kasintahan wrote:
    All IDE RAID cards I've ever seen are also ATAPI compatible.

In fact, I've two in this computer which are used only for optical devices and have never seen a hard disk.

sorry didnt know that

ok i just hooked my hd up the the RAID card and it worked fine and it says atapi is supported on maplin :-\ so its confusing me.. atm i have the 2 burners hooked up to the mobo and its working but adding on an extra min then it would to burn a single copy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

Put the card in. Set the jumpers on both the optical drives to master. Plug one into each socket on the RAID card (even though you won't be using the RAID function, only the IDE/ATAPI controller bit). Should work (as in appear in windows).

If it doesn't work then, sit down carefully and detail precisely what you have tried.

Bloody hell. Did you even read my post?? YOU DON'T NEED THE RAID CARD.

You have 3 IDE devices. Your computer by default can take 4!
    If you followed my instructions (or even read the damn things) you would have it all working perfectly now.

The RAID card would only be needed if you wanted to set up a RAID array. The fact that it works or not with ATAPI (generally optical) drives is a moot point (although I thought it would depend on the chipset used on the card?).
    Reread my previous post.
    If you can't figure it out then say so. On--the-fly copying is generally going to be slightly slower than direct ISO burning.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,715 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Listen to WizZard by the sounds of things.

Also, some of these raid/ide card manufacturer's disable support for non-hd ide devices (HighPoint removed cd-rom's via a bios update on a product a couple years ago, this one was both a seperate card, and on board Abit boards), so it really depends on the card, and how good their drivers are.

Also, the 'RAID' card, will also probably be able to support the hard disk in non raid mode, so maybe use that for the hd, and then the motherboard ones for the cd/dvd-roms (seeing as you seem so intent on having the cd/dvd's on diff channels).

IDE defaults to the mode of the slowest device as well, and alot of cd/dvd's are UDMA33, which would mean if connected with your hard drive, would cause the HD to effectively be operating at UDMA33 (instead of 66/100/133). Some can even still be PIO mode 4 (16 mb/s).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

astrofool wrote:
    (seeing as you seem so intent on having the cd/dvd's on diff channels).
    That's the way he should have it, avoids the multiplexing and extra signalling overheads.
    IDE defaults to the mode of the slowest device as well, and alot of cd/dvd's are UDMA33, which would mean if connected with your hard drive, would cause the HD to effectively be operating at UDMA33 (instead of 66/100/133). Some can even still be PIO mode 4 (16 mb/s).

I won't bet money on it yet, but I'm pretty sure that most modern IDE Host controllers and end-devices support speed-interleaving, ie you can run a hdd at UDMA on the same cable as a UDMA66 DVDRom.

On my machine at home I've a WD1200JB (@UDMA33, supports up to UDMA100) and a Plextor PX-1640TA (@PIO4, UDMA through a jumper hack that Win2k doesn't like) running off my PIIX4E southbridge (UDMA33 max) on a 40-wire cable (master and slave respectively).
    No problems. Both devices show close to the maximal transfer rates for the speeds they're running at.

Thanks syxpak, should i bring the card back and get them to replace it? or exchange it??? because in future i want to burn around 4 at a single time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

but it says no controller :-\

edit: because im stupid maybe ??? lol no but i wanted to connect it to that card and i was told it would make my computer burn 2 discs at a time faster instead of on a single channel

The person who told you that was trying to make you look silly.
    because in future i want to burn around 4 at a single time :)

I can think of no legitimate reason for doing that, you naughty person ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

If you really need to burn multiple discs of the same image at the same time, buy yourself a duplicator.
    www.svp.co.uk

Advertisement