Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our Police Force: Proud??

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Wheely

bonkey wrote:
    I must say, having read through this thread, I find it interesting that virtually every poster here who I can identify as a Sinn Fein and/or IRA supporter expresses a lack of faith/trust in our gardai. Such correlation is - I would imagine - not entirely coincidental.

jc

Not only is it entirely coincidental, its also not entirely true-im not an IRA/ SF supporter either

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

jank wrote:
    Whatever about the right and wrongs about the Lusk raid, shooting someone in the back(who was probably unarmed) isnt what I would call good police work.
    He wasn't shot in the back. 1 alive copper, 2 dead scumbags? What's the problem,. They're hardly the death squads of Rio here!
    jank wrote:
    Does it matter?

Nobody should be harassed by the Gardas because of political beliefs.
    It does matter because at the time he's referring to there was one party so on the edge of being legal that their leader and members weren't even allowed to have their voices heard on TV and Radio. They haven't changed mch IMO but that's for another thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭tomMK1

it shouldnt matter what political beliefs you have. it is a democracy isnt it, or has it turned into a stalinist state round here.

Anyway, that inspector who was charged yesterday paints a picture for this thread.

Folks there was a thread on the old news of Lusk a while back and it was discussed ad nauseum.
    The same things are coming up here with the same opinions clashing.
    Please take that to a separate thread unless you all have something new to add on it.
    Wheely wrote:
    Not only is it entirely coincidental, its also not entirely true-im not an IRA/ SF supporter either
    In fairness he didnt say all posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

jank wrote:
    shooting someone in the back(who was probably unarmed) isnt what I would call good police work.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2005/0526/dublin.html
    the men were called on to drop their weapons before the gardaí opened fire

Both men were part of an armed gang that had been under garda surveillance

A basic knowledge of the facts isnt that hard to find....

• Advertisement

tomMK1 wrote:
    it shouldnt matter what political beliefs you have.
    I don't agree. If your political beliefs are contrary to the common good, e.g., supporting a terrorist organsiation then the police are only doing their job to harrass, much as they harrass known drug dealers to force them into making a mistake.
    tomMK1 wrote:
    it is a democracy isnt it, or has it turned into a stalinist state round here.
    I'd be more concerned about McDowell's attitude towards the Gardai turning this country into a facist state. He wants to jail Gardai who leak information to journalists. This does not bode well in a democracy. Journalism must be allowed a certain leeway to keep the people informed of the goings on. Otherwise you are headng down the path of a government controlled media. I know that others on here will disagree but journalistic freedoms must be upheld.
    tomMK1 wrote:
    Anyway, that inspector who was charged yesterday paints a picture for this thread.
    Indeed. That idiot would would be forced to fall on his sword in the UK. He won't resign though, he'll want to slip off quietly into his full Garda pension at a minimum but he'll probably fight it all the way and want to stay an Inspector. W@nker.

murphaph wrote:
    I don't agree. If your political beliefs are contrary to the common good, e.g., supporting a terrorist organsiation then the police are only doing their job to harrass, much as they harrass known drug dealers to force them into making a mistake.

you cant have democracy (as in supporting a legal political party) and then say what youve said. if a party is legal, then its legal ... full stop.

Who decides the 'common good'? What is the common good, as its always been one law for the wealthy and one law for the poor, so finding the common ground isnt easy.

tomMK1 wrote:
    you cant have democracy (as in supporting a legal political party) and then say what youve said. if a party is legal, then its legal ... full stop.
    You never said anything about legality in your original post. You said;
    it shouldnt matter what political beliefs you have
    Which is entirely different from supporting a legal political party. Many political entities are illegal.
    tomMK1 wrote:
    Who decides the 'common good'? What is the common good, as its always been one law for the wealthy and one law for the poor, so finding the common ground isnt easy.
    The common good involves not blowing people up, for a start. Whether rich or poor I think we can all agree that bing blown to pieces isn't good, QED, parties that support the blowing up of people are against the common good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

if you think the Gardai are bad, watch these korean cops in action (site many not b ework safe for some people)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

shooting someone in the back(who was probably unarmed) isnt what I would call good police work.

I was qouting what another member said.
    Oh and even if it was true it wouldnt have been the first time it happened.

I love the way some posters here think that those who think the Gardas arent all what they are cracked up to be, that we are somehow secret IRA supporters and SF members.

That attitide alone stinks of the bush doctrine "your with us or your against us"
    Nothing is ever that black and white im afraid.
    if you think the Gardai are bad, watch these korean cops in action (site many not b ework safe for some people)

Have you seen the mayday riots?
    The common good involves not blowing people up, for a start. Whether rich or poor I think we can all agree that bing blown to pieces isn't good, QED, parties that support the blowing up of people are against the common good.

So I see we are still looking at the past here Murphaph, too far in the past.

Lads can we please keep to the topic on hand rather then the usual bull**** thread of IRA bashing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

jank wrote:
    I was qouting what another member said.
    Oh and even if it was true it wouldnt have been the first time it happened.

You were quoting sombody who asked it as a question, hardly a good idea. I assume your refering to Abbylara and the guy getting shot in the back? Postion of the person taking the shot is irelevent the only thing that matters is wheather or not the person being shot is a threat to life.
    jank wrote:
    I love the way some posters here think that those who think the Gardas arent all what they are cracked up to be, that we are somehow secret IRA supporters and SF members.

Judgeing from other SF/IRA threads iv read here alot of the posters (not all, and nobody suggested all) are SF/IRA supporters.
    jank wrote:
    Have you seen the mayday riots?

Yes, which one?

Appart form the reclaim the steets protest in Dublin I wouln't have a problem with their handling of riots.

jank wrote:
    So I see we are still looking at the past here Murphaph, too far in the past.

Lads can we please keep to the topic on hand rather then the usual bull**** thread of IRA bashing.
    jank, I am NOT the one looking to the past. YOU questioned me about why it mattered what party a dub in glasgo was in support of. HE himself said it was in the 80's that he was harrassed by the Guards!!!! That's why it matters because it was a different time, a time when SFIRA wholeheartedly supported, and participated in blowing people to pieces-against the common good.

murphaph wrote:
    Which is entirely different from supporting a legal political party. Many political entities are illegal.

In reply to someone else saying it doesnt matter who the political party was as long as they were legal, you said:
    It does matter because at the time he's referring to there was one party so on the edge of being legal that their leader and members weren't even allowed to have their voices heard on TV and Radio. They haven't changed mch IMO but that's for another thread.

.. which in effect is what I was referring to. i didnt realise you' forget what you'd said, my apologies. And in case you didnt know, Sinn Fein certainly werent an illegal party at that time. Their rights as citizens were obviously being messed with, but they were and are legal.

Please, produce your proof that Sinn Fein as a political party have ever blown anyone up. otherwise, prove to me that Sinn Fein IS the IRA .. otherwise stop saying such things if you dont have the evidence to back it up.

The british, Irish (through their Shannon support) and American governments obviously support blowing up civiallians in Iraq, but I dont see you applying the "parties that support the blowing up of people are against the common good" to that. Isnt that a tad selective?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

murphaph wrote:
    jank, I am NOT the one looking to the past. YOU questioned me about why it mattered what party a dub in glasgo was in support of. HE himself said it was in the 80's that he was harrassed by the Guards!!!! That's why it matters because it was a different time, a time when SFIRA wholeheartedly supported, and participated in blowing people to pieces-against the common good.

Here we go again on the boards.ie merry go round.

I suppose you think that the IRA evolved out of a vacuum, much like terrorism today.

jank wrote:
    Here we go again on the boards.ie merry go round.
    No we dont!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement