Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beware if using your UCD e-mail

Options
  • 19-07-2005 8:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm usually just a lurker here, but I thought I'd post this as a warning.

I logged on to my UCD email account today as I hadn't checked it in ages. I found that I had several messages from various ucd.ie addresses, including

register@ucd.ie
    administrator@ucd.ie
    support@student.ucd.ie

These emails contained warnings advising me that my 'account had been used to send thousands of spam messages and was suspended'. I got suspicious when I saw another email asking me to 'update my details' by clicking on an attached zip file. Anyway, long story short it seems that these emails are spoof emails designed to lure users into downloading a virus (contained in the aforementioned zip file).

I'd been complacent because the UCD email filter had always previously caught any viruses before they had reached my inbox, however it seems that their antivirus doesn't recognise this one yet.

***CLICKING ON THE ZIP FILE WILL RESULT IN A VIRUS NAMED WINCFG32.EXE BEING INSTALLED ON YOUR COMPUTER.***

It will completely paralyse your computer, as it did mine, by using your net connection to send spam emails. I was only able to remove the virus by using a friends computer to log on to symantec.com and find out how to remove it manually.

So be warned, I don't know how widespread this problem is but chances are if it's in one inbox, it'll be in more.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭formatman

the fact that a simple spam filter can pick this up like in yahoo mail

and that the admins at UCD let it get as far as an INBOX is a disgrace

no wonder the net is so slow.................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

Tbh this is nothing different from many other accounts; i.e. it's not specifically a UCD problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

The address aren't located in UCD so there is nothing that can be done. They are fake address that are made by the virus on open relay servers.

I dont know why they still had the attachments on them. The staff accounts dont. The Virus gets removed by the Imap server. Unless you are using UCD Pop mail. Then its up to your anti virus program to sort them out.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

CS as usual can't set up a simple IMAP server which would be much easier for all concerned. Took me 5 hours on my home server, don't see why it should take them even half that. Can that gang do anything at all, or is anything beyond clicking the 'Start' button too much for those twerps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

IMAP? Is POP3 not good enough for you?

mail.student.ucd.ie

• Advertisement

Nah, I can never make up my mind which mail client I like best. Even PINE works perfectly over that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

I've used Pegasus on win16/32 since forever ('97) 'cos some chick I liked used it (and had a horse with called the same). I can't believe a girl showed me the internet!

Now how sad is that?! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Red Alert wrote:
    CS as usual can't set up a simple IMAP server which would be much easier for all concerned. Took me 5 hours on my home server, don't see why it should take them even half that. Can that gang do anything at all, or is anything beyond clicking the 'Start' button too much for those twerps?

/me points to above post.

There is an Imap server. At the moment the server is for Staff, but from what I have heard they will be switching studens over. However I have no idea when that will be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Pod 78

Yep I know pure message- quarantine does not pick up the registrar@ucd.ie etc.. all the time. itcommunicate is the only kosher e-mail address- puremessage does pick up an awful lot of the spam though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

As far as I'm concerned, the UCD email is a disgrace. I get loads of chain type emails form my classmates which means my email address is out there circulating. I receive so much spam that I can no longer use the account.

What p!sses me off the most is that they filter out the viruses but send the attached email, edited at the end to say "Warning Netsky-32 virus has been detected" or some sh!t like that. My inbox is completely clogged with pure rubbish.

I (obviously) have a hotmail account which filters out everything that I don't want. What's the point in using the crappy UCD service?

Just my thoughts and experiences, anyone else out there feel the same?

• Advertisement

The UCD Connect crap they put on top of it is rubbish - me always uses straight POP. Computing Services need such a kick up the ass it's unreal - they never seem to actually just sit down and do something, they're too busy making action plans, coloured posters, and "new initiatives".

Advertisement