Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mysql database connection

Options
  • 19-07-2005 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

First I would like to point out I am completely new to this and trying to work it out as I go along.

I have set up a mysql server on my pc and created a database.

Using mysql-front on a different pc i can connect to the database with full access.

I have loaded up forum pages onto some web space i have been lent and which supports everything needed for this. (database is only temp on my pc while i decide if i want to get my own web space to host properly etc)

My firewall is configured to allow connection the database and I can see the number of times the forum has attempted to connect to the db.

The user specified in the config file for the forum is set up with full access to the db from all hosts yet i still keep getting "you do not have permission to contact the server"

any suggestion pleeeease would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭fractal

Do this from both machines.. One local, one remote..

mysql -u username -h hostname -p databasename
    <enter your password>

If this works from the remote machine and note from the local machine you will need to add an entry to the mysql access list for user@localhost......
    ie: GRANT ALL ON databasename.tablename to username@localhost IDENTIFIED BY 'password'

If this still doesnt work post back exactly what happened.

To rule out firewall problems.. try telnet mysqlservername 3306 from both local and remote hosts and see if you can get a connection. if you can this would rule out firewall problems.. If you cant you probably have to look at your firewall and ip that the server is bound to...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Yep - its all there in the "GRANT TABLES" section of the MySQL manual.

Also, if you're looking for PHP, Perl, Python & MySQL enabled space - I found ukfsn.org to be OK. You don't get a lot of space but you do get a lot of features, and its cheap. If you find somewhere better, let me know ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Wanton

ok, it not a user problem. i have double checked in my-sql front and the user logon has all privilages on all hosts with grant.

i have tried telnet localhost 3306 on the local machine and getting connection lost to host, but thats even with my firewall disabled :mad:

Advertisement