Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Broadband is the Best One to Get???

• 19-07-2005 9:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

When i move into my new home, we have to get broadband straight away, as my works at home and needs it to do her job. I also am getting broadband, as im making a website, and soon be paying, and becoming a hosting provider myself. But to do all of this i need to which is the best broadband to get? As i dont know if its different in galway but the only ones i know of, in the uk is Bt, and Aol. I know its not alot but thats all i know :o

Any help will be very much appreciated, Thank You

- Stuart :)

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

IMHO the best option in order of preference are:

1) www.ntl.ie
    Cable Broadband (1m @ €25, 2m @ €35, 3m @ €45) - should be available to most NTL TV customers in Galway by end of summer, worth checking if avaialable now.

2) www.smarttelecom.ie
    LLU DSL - 2m @ €35 including line rental. Very limited availablity at the moment.

3) www.btireland.ie
    ADSL - 1m @ €30 per month for first 4 months, €40 thereafter, price includes line rental.
    2m @ €40 per month for first 4 months, €50 thereafter, price includes line rental.

www.eircom.ie
    www.digiweb.ie
    www.u.tv/talk/index.asp?loc=ie

Are other alternatives, they all (including BT) resell Eircoms DSL, but BT is the best value, specially when you include line rental.

If you can't get any of these, then wireless Broadband might be an option: www.ibb.ie

BTW you won't be able to host any serious services off any of these services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

What! Eircom not last?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

beller b wrote:
    What! Eircom not last?
    Nope! Especially reserved for IBB! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 66 ✭✭PlasmaFish

Broadband Options without phone line.

www.IrishBroadband.ie
    => Breeze 1Mbit, 30GB cap, €36/monthly Contention 48:1 12 month contract
    => Breeze 2Mbit, no cap, Contention 24:1 €48.40/monthly 12 month contract.
    You can get up to 24Mbit's 1:1 if you ask for a special order cheaper then leased line.
    All there Breeze packages are symmetrical so upload speed is the same as download. Great for a web hosting as you get a static IP but they don't like that but they would probably
    They have free install before the 31st of July.

If you have LOS of the Ballybane Mast or the Tonabrucky hill and no more then 6Km from there, you should be in the coverage area for it

www.Leap.ie
    Don’t know much about them but they provide if from Tonabruck and it’s yearly payment with Ok speeds. can't really say any more about this, check there site.

www.ntl.ie
    probably the cheapest if you have NTL cable TV, although the speed is OK if not many of your neighbours have it. About 128kbps upload and a dynamic IP, cheap there site for prices

I have IBB broadband myself and it has been very reliable, as I had kept a close eye on it for the first few weeks after the install, once you have a strong signal then it works very well, Also regarding a phone, Broadband phone actually works reliable as good as an eircom line, but much cheaper. Also if you do start using it for VoIP contact IBB and they can do some optimizing to your connection (QoS VoIP). Makes a massive difference. Check out www.blueface.ie and www.skytel.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 andmor

PlasmaFish wrote:
    Broadband Options without phone line.RE: Irish Broadband

All there Breeze packages are symmetrical so upload speed is the same as download.

Sorry no they ain't.
    We are supposed to have the 2Mb up and down Breeze business connection from Irish Broadband. Worked well for the honeymoon first month and since mid- May speeds have collapsed completely.

This afternoon we are getting:

472 kbps download
    68 kbps upload

from www.irishisptest.com

We have lodged an official complaint with the Commission for Communications Regulation. Tel: 1890 229 668

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

Nope! Especially reserved for IBB! :D
    Oh yeah! Jeez how did I forget them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

And did you lodge a Offical Complaint against Ibb First? I was told comreg cant do anything unless ya lodge a complaint with Ibb first and if they say it is within service reg and content they cant do anything but found a flaw in the Terms and Conditions no where does it mention anything about contention/speed etc so they cant say its within service standards. So anyone is within there rights to cancell, i lodged my complaint yesterday they have 5 days as far as i no.

http://www.irishbroadband.ie/htmdocs/faq/code_of_practice.htm
    andmor wrote:
    PlasmaFish wrote:
    Broadband Options without phone line.RE: Irish Broadband

All there Breeze packages are symmetrical so upload speed is the same as download.

Sorry no they ain't.
    We are supposed to have the 2Mb up and down Breeze business connection from Irish Broadband. Worked well for the honeymoon first month and since mid- May speeds have collapsed completely.

This afternoon we are getting:

472 kbps download
    68 kbps upload

from www.irishisptest.com

We have lodged an official complaint with the Commission for Communications Regulation. Tel: 1890 229 668

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

PlasmaFish wrote:
    www.ntl.ie
    probably the cheapest if you have NTL cable TV, although the speed is OK if not many of your neighbours have it. About 128kbps upload and a dynamic IP, cheap there site for prices

That is incorrect, the products they offer are:
    1m/100k @ €25
    2m/200k @ €35
    3m/300k @ €45

They also offer first 3 mnoths free at 3m (to get you hooked), free install by engineer, free equipement and your NTL analogue TV service free for 12 months (worth €20 per month).

The quality, speed and relability of the service is excellent (better then DSL) as long as you are not in D15 where they have had problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭popey21

what about Satellite Broadband

http://www.teles-skydsl.com/

or

http://www.teles-skydsl.co.uk

any one if its any good 16 mb download

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

I want to move from UTV to BT's BB Plus product @ €50 incl line rental. The site mentions BT talktime in the product description. Is that another sub on top of the BB Plus sub and if not is it necessary to take BT talkTime at all. I'm sure its great value and all that but tbh we make about a fivers worth of calls on the house phone a month and the line is mainly just used for BB. ie No point paying €20/m for Talktime for example when we'd only make €5 worth of calls.

To make sure we have no downtime, I presume I contact BT and get the DTAF form or whatever its called to authorise BT to take over the line and line rental and then when BT let me know that the line transfer is nearly complete I would then notify UTV of cancellation even though I then have to pay the 29.99 advance sub for the next month probably, ie thats the price I pay for no downtime.

Finally, I have my own adsl router. Would BT waive the setup fee if I already have my own equipment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭SparkyLarks

Which is the best broadband is kinda subjective.

Depends on what you want to do with it.

the best package to get is the cheapest one that meats your requirements.
    If with working from home and hosting a website you'll probably need to get a package with a high upload.

How busy will the website be. Is it a local newsletter and mainly text or is it a graphic rich website where alot of people will be downloading simultaneously??
    If so you'll need a bigger upload

Wireless broadband tends to have higher upload speeds, many of them are symmetric. If some can vouch for the reliability of an wireless provider in Galway( wher in Galway btw) That might be your best option.

If your hosting something on a commercial basis, reliability is very important too

If your wife's working at home( not sure from your post) will she be connecting into a main office somewher , that will put other requirements on the connection

Calibos wrote:
    I want to move from UTV to BT's BB Plus product @ €50 incl line rental. The site mentions BT talktime in the product description. Is that another sub on top of the BB Plus sub and if not is it necessary to take BT talkTime at all. I'm sure its great value and all that but tbh we make about a fivers worth of calls on the house phone a month and the line is mainly just used for BB. ie No point paying €20/m for Talktime for example when we'd only make €5 worth of calls.

Talktime is free, it basically means your calls will be with BT. THey are slightly cheaper then Eircom.

They also have another product called Talktime Plus, which is where you pay an extra fee and get freee local and national calls at any time.

Advertisement