Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Age Are You When Doing The Leaving Cert?

Options
  • 19-07-2005 10:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

Okay, well im starting school on the 29th of August at Galway Community College, But I Dont Know If Im Going To be Doing The Junior or Leaving Certs?
    I will be 15 on the 10 Spetember 2005. Some people i asked dont know either, so i was wondering if anyone could help.

Thank You.

- Stuart :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Shyster

If you're fifteen, then depending on how far you've studied wherever you were living, you will probably be doing the Junior Cert.
    The usual age for sitting the Leaving Cert is somewhere between 17-19... and the usual age for the Junior is 15 or thereabouts. Hope that helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I was 16 during the leaving, so theres a very slight chance you could be doing leaving....

I was 16, some in my class were 15, so yeh you could be.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Shyster

i still dont understand that, does that not make them 2 starting school?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Galway22

I am a bit confused, did anyone or is anyone, going to galway community college, taking there leaving cert. If so how old are you. This is my first time in an irish school, but in english schools when fifteen u take GCSE'S. So are they the same as leaving certs.

Thanks For The help

- Stuart :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭Zukustious

The first exam you do is Junior, the second is leaving. I think the leaving is more like the A-levels, and the GCSE's are like the junior cert. So if you were going to do yer GCSE's, then I reckon you'd be doing the junior. If you've already done them, you're probably gonna do the leaving cert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭chickens

I do a little while in English school. I would say it be less your age that matters and more if you do GCSE or not. If you did GCSE you have deffinitly done the junior cert work but the A level course is bit different so if you not start that then you could be going into 5th year (first year of leaving cert).

If you havn't done GCSE then it depend what you want I suppose, I would go and find out how much of Junior cert you have covered and so on. I sure that the school principle would put you into year to suit what you do, maybe shck with your school in england?

In answer to age, I was just nearly fifteen when I did Junior Cert and I will be 17/18 whe I do leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

I started the leaving cert course when 16, I sat the leaving at 18.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

21 and it was a waste again .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Sat the exams at 18 years of age... thats about normal from what ive seen

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭eskimo

I was 16, some in my class were 15, so yeh you could be.....

There were 15 year olds in your class doing the leaving???? Or the Junior? If it's the leaving, that doesn't sound right at all!! Sure you have to be 17 in your first January in college... :confused: Although I know a guy who started secondary school at 11, so I guess it's possible... but still.... :confused:

Anywho I was 16 when I sat the leaving. I didn't think it could get any younger.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Ooly

most people doing junior cert are 14/15 & the leaving varies from 16 - 19, Me i'll be 18 doing the leaving & was 15 for the junior

eskimo wrote:
    There were 15 year olds in your class doing the leaving???? Or the Junior? If it's the leaving, that doesn't sound right at all!! Sure you have to be 17 in your first January in college... :confused: Although I know a guy who started secondary school at 11, so I guess it's possible... but still.... :confused:

Anywho I was 16 when I sat the leaving. I didn't think it could get any younger.

There was only 2/3 of them, and they turned 16 in the summer, but they still wouldn't be 17 by January, so I don't know. :(

From what i make out from this topic:

Junior Cert 15-16

Leaving Cert 17-18,

But i do not know how much of the junior cert i could have covered in year 9, such as the s.a.t.s exams that we had to do in the uk?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

Coming from England having done my GCSE's then made to go into junior cert, I can safely say that the junior cert is below GCSE, the leaving cert better than the GCSE, A-Levels the standard of a 2 year certificate in college. Most of my mates were 18-19 even 20 doing the leaving cert.

So you are certain that i would be in junior cert and not the leaving cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Also take note, that if you intend on doing the history course over here it will be very different from the one taught in English schools regarding Irish history.

Btw i was 16 when i done my junior but only done my leaving this year, at 24! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭dr.barbie

I was 15 sitting the junior and 17 sitting the leaving cert.Going back to repeat this year-Ill be 22 by the time the leaving rolls around again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

I got my leaving this year, so I'll be 18 when it starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

19 doing my leaving last june. and was 16 doing the junior i think, i done 4th year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I was 14 doing the Junior Cert, and 17 doing the Leaving Cert. Go having a summer birthday.

Im guessing that the most common age to take the leaving cert is 17-19. And the Juniro cert 14-16? Does that sound right to anyone here?

- Stu

Advertisement