Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Certifying network patch cables

Options
  • 19-07-2005 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭

Hi I had a query since yesterday about making some cat 6 patch cables. Now I can make them no problem the only thing that I would have to certify them as they are for the health board. I'm just wondering does anyone know how to certify patch cables that they have made? Is it just a matter of testing them with a network cable tester or is there something else that has to be done to certify them?

Thanks in advance,
    Galwaydude18 :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭jjmax

Hey Galwaydude,

To certify Cat5E cbales you use a tester called a DSP-4000 from a company called Fluke.
    This will also certify your Cat6 cables, or maybe you'd need to use the DTLsomethingorother also by Fluke.
    There are other testers, but these ones are the industry standard.
    The test will give you two pages of info on the cable, with results for attenuation, NEXT, AUI, FEXT, Connection Map, Length, etc....
    If you need the tester let me know and I'll try and sort you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

jjmax I will get back you about this! I just need to send a PM back to yer man to let him no that I would be able to sort out a tester and certify the cables for them! Thanks for advice and help! PS would it be possible to get the lend of this off you if they still need the cables? I will sort you out for it! Thanks! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭jjmax

Sorry mate I can't loan the thing out (it's worth about €8K), but if you wanted them tested I'd do it...for a small(ish) fee.
    If you let me know how many cables you want done, we'll work out a price.

Advertisement