Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creaky floors

Options
  • 19-07-2005 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭

Our 3 bed semi has t&g floors upstairs. While we have carpet on the landing, the bedrooms and bathrooms are bare varnished boards. Only problem, apart from dust gathering in the joints since the boards shrunk, is that the master bedroom floor creaks something rotten, just from walking on it. Obviously don't want to go re-hammering nails in (I like the downstairs ceilings just as they are) but is there any way of stopping / reducing the creaking? (No coarse comments please!)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bamboozled

Turn off the heating for a couple of days and let the boards settle back to natural without heating. Sprinkle baby powder into the cracks and brush it over where it creaks. When you turn on the heating again, the boards will slightly expand annd the baby powder will stop them creaking.

You have to turn off the heating though. I tried it witout turning off the heating and it didnt work and I couldnt breath for days as i'd loads of talc with no where to go. When i turned it off, they shrank very slightly back to natural (almost indetectable) and it worked then.

Try it - you've nothing to lose. Buy either baby powder or a big tub of it in a poundshop or discount shop. Once its small grains of powder it should work.

Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭gregos

Was that reply a joke?

Dilbert, if you're concerned about disturbing your ceilings, you can re-nail your floor-boards very easily using a compressed-air nailer. It won't affect the ceilings and it will eliminate the creaking problem permanently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bamboozled

I tried it witout turning off the heating and it didnt work and I couldnt breath for days as i'd loads of talc with no where to go. When i turned it off, they shrank very slightly back to natural (almost indetectable) and it worked then
    No it wasnt a joke. sometimes the strange does work. It didnt work for every creak but certainly damped down the worst and stopped others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭gregos

Dilbert. If you don't mind the appearance of this, you could simply drill 45-degree pilot holes through the boards at the joists, and screw them back down, carefully. You mightn't need to do more than five or six locations to stop the creaking. Plug the holes with the same diameter of dowel. Sand them flush and re-varnish.

Advertisement