Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB question

Options
  • 19-07-2005 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if the local AIB branches keep records of past lodgements as i need proof that i lodged money into a certain account on the 7th of june as i bloody forgot to keep the lodgement stub and now my landlord has turned around and said i owed him 215 euro.

Im dropping into the branch tomorrow to find out.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭Thomond Pk

Don't bother ask him to request a statement which you will need to pay a small fee for and stick to your guns. Remember he is the one trying to recover the 'so-called debt' once you have the account number and did genuinely make the lodgement it is up to him to disprove it as he is the one with access to the protected information. If it transpired that you didn't make the lodgement his bank manager could and probably would produce a letter to that effect. It sounds like your landlord has too much money or is very disorganised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

Of course they keep them, even have to do so by law (afair). Do you have online or phone banking?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

i have online banking but with BOI and not AIB.I took out 200 euro that day from the atm which i have proof and then i walked across the street and lodged it into the landlords account in the AIB. Im not really stressing as the AIB should have a record of it as i have the account number and everything.Its not just annoying as its stressing out my GF for no reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭CCOVICH

Did you lodge it over the counter, or through the quicklodge facility?

You should be ok, but your life would be a lot easier if you had the stamped lodgement stub (I'm sure you don't need to hear this, but it's worth reminding everyone else-keep stubs for a few months, just in case, especially when you are dealing with cash).

I would be surprised if the bank will tell you that a lodgement was made to the landlord's bank account, but they should be able to confirm to him that it has been.

The same thing happened to me a few years ago, the landlord rang looking for the rent, and while I was explaining to him on the phone that I had lodged it, hey presto-it 'appeared' on his internet banking screen before him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

yes defothey keep records.i heard they keep records of over 7 years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭Thomond Pk

Under the Statute of Limitations they are required to, however they have no obligation to disclose any customers financial affairs. They shouldn't do it as it would put them in breach of the data protection act. As I said in my post above you hold the whip hand it is up to your landlord to prove that at a particular hour on a particular day that a lodgement was not made to a particular account at a particular bank in cash. The only thing you lack is a stub an item that often disintegrates in a load of washing or is discarded in error and with such specific detail a transaction that is verifiable in one phonecall.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

?? Generally it is up to the person paying to prove that they made the payment and not up to the recipient to prove thay he didn't receive a payment.

If it comes to a row you have to show that you paid...

IN Canada the onus of proof of payment is on the person making the payment:

http://web2.gov.mb.ca/laws/statutes/ccsm/l080e.php

"The onus of proving that a charge or fee has been paid is on the person alleging that it has been paid.

S.M. 1999, c. 11, s. 6. "

Advertisement