Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Eircom BB products (of a sort)

Options
  • 20-07-2005 1:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭

Been busy this last week, so I may have missed this - but can't find any references here. Actually looks like eircom are making it up as they go along, having been very much wrong-footed by ESAT. McRedmond is in spin mode, and eircom's "new" products are very much the creation of the marketing department, rather than anything that came from a product development team.

So - the details:

eircom Home Starter:
    WAS: 8GB down, unlimited up, 1MB/128k, €40 per month incl VAT
    NOW: 4GB down, 1GB up, 1Mb/128k, €30 per month including VAT

eircom Home Plus:
    Unchanged: 16GB down, unlimited up, 2MB/128k, €54.45 per month incl VAT

eircom Business Starter:
    NOW: 20GB down, unlimited up, 2Mb/128K, €42.35 per month incl VAT

eircom Business Plus:
    Unchanged: 12GB down, unlimited up, 3Mb/256k, €107.69 per month incl VAT

Conclusions:
    The Home Starter product is now what should have been launched an entry level product. Still €15 per month too expensive. Unlikely to satisfy a lot of current Home Starter users (e.g. bittorrent users), and so it is likely to give McRedmond another reason to kick his product designers up the hole when it drives a truck load or two of Home Starter users into the arms of ESAT.

There are now real differennces between the home and business products.

The Business Starter Product is quite an attractive product.

I haven’t shown the "time" products above because they are of no real interest and I don't want to legitimise them.

I have ignored all the free router offers, discounted connections and all the other red herrings.

I would deduce from the above - eircom were seriously caught off guard by the last round of ESAT announcements. The revamped products above are an attempt to sort out the ensuing mess. Unless they are prepared to sell the business product to home users, they have another fiasco on their hands and will accelerate rather than slow the flight to ESAT.

Note that for comparative purposes I have shown the business products at VAT inclusive prices.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Such a mix. The Home Starter product is downright offensive, but that base business product ain't half bad. If I didn't want to rip Eircom's head off and do unspeakable things to the remains, I'd nearly go for it.

Pardon the imagery.

EDIT: Didn't notice the upstream on Business Starter. I take it all back. Useless.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Where to begin?
    eircom Home Plus:

eircom Business Starter:
    (is the upload supposed to be 256k as a Business product?)

Could someone PLEASE explain to me the utter stupidity of the above pricings???

I must say:
    eircom Home Starter:
    is an idiotic move from a desperate man!!!
    4Gb cap with 1Mb speed is just enough for the absolute lightest of user!

Im flabbergasted by this....eircom could have priced:
    at €20 and actually found a market if it wasnt for their insistence on TIMING your broadband.
    Eircom time is a dead duck as it will rise to just €5 a month less than what eircom has untimed offered at!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

business starter has been 20gB down since the last time,
    nothing has changed there.

business plus has 40gB down, no?

straight facts please?

Some of the prices have changed!!!

As already stated by "De Rebel"
    McRedmond is in spin mode, and eircom's "new" products are very much the creation of the marketing department, rather than anything that came from a product development team.

Its all marketing bull basically....McRedmonds speciality!!!!
    It was all brought in the back door as well!
    I wonder if we will see him on the Last Word/5-7 Live later today talking more crap?

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭SparkyLarks

4Gb Cap is loads for me so 30 quid is great.

eircom Home Plus:
    eircom Business Starter:

What's that abut, why go for home plus over buisness starter? 4 GB less for 12 euro more( and can the buisness can claim the vat back). The mind boggles.

As for "Broadband Time", it wouldn't do me at all but, the gf needs to get a connection into her house. It's only for work maybe every couple weeks she'll need if for a weekend if even that.

There is no way she'll go over 20 hours at all. It's a new house so she was offered free connection (of the phone line) from eircom. so it worked out as the cheapest option for her to get broadband in. There will be people for whom "Time" is the cheapest option for the amount of use they want to get from the internet, those people arn't likely to be foun on Boards though.

My parents have broadband and don;t go over 20 hours a month. Time would have worked out cheaper for them too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭BlueShaun

Since the time product is only time limited, and is (supposedly) capped at €50 per month, is this an unlimited data product from eircom?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

4Gb Cap is loads for me so 30 quid is great.

BT Broadband + line rental is a better bet for you:

1m/128k + line rental for €30 first 4 months, €40 thereafter, with a 16GB cap.

To compare Eircom would cost €30 + €24 (line rental) for €54 per month with a 4GB cap!!!

It is also worth pointing out that Eircoms offer is only available to new customers, old customers continue to pay €40, unlike BT who are offering there deal to existing customers also.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,851 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I'm on the home starter 8Gb limit.
    The new 4gb limit is too low ,while I'm not prepared to pay xtra for the 16Gb cap.
    Can home owners get the business packages ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

I'm on the home starter 8Gb limit.
    The new 4gb limit is too low ,while I'm not prepared to pay xtra for the 16Gb cap.
    Can home owners get the business packages ?

See the post above yours. Go to BT.

Sarsfield wrote:
    See the post above yours. Go to BT.
    I cant M8,I'm tied to Eircom for 5 more months.
    12 month Contract. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭douglasman

There are several inaccuracies so here are the corrections.

Note Eircom Business Starter has actually been downgraded to 1Mb/128k from 2Mb/128k hence the lower price.

Also note Eircom Business Plus has a 40GB quota.
    So - the details:

eircom Home Starter:

eircom Home Plus:

eircom Business Starter:
    WAS: 8GB down, unlimited up, 2MB/128k, €40 per month incl VAT
    NOW: 20GB down, unlimited up, 1Mb/128K, €42.35 per month incl VAT

eircom Business Plus:
    Unchanged: 40GB down, unlimited up, 3Mb/256k, €107.69 per month incl VAT

When are these packages being introduced.
    I am on the Home starter 8gb package.
    Will I automatically change to the 4gb cap ,30 euro package ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

douglasman wrote:

Note Eircom Business Starter has actually been downgraded to 1Mb/128k from 2Mb/128k hence the lower price.

Also note Eircom Business Plus has a 40GB quota.
    So - the details:

eircom Home Starter:

eircom Home Plus:

eircom Business Starter:
    WAS: 8GB down, unlimited up, 2MB/128k, €40 per month incl VAT
    NOW: 20GB down, unlimited up, 1Mb/128K, €42.35 per month incl VAT

eircom Business Plus:
    Unchanged: 40GB down, unlimited up, 3Mb/256k, €107.69 per month incl VAT

Are you sure of this? I've checked their site and they are still advertising

eircom broadband business starter

* Download / upload speeds: 2Mbps / 128 kbps.**
    * Monthly download / upload allowance: 20 GB download. Unlimited upload.
    * Technical support number: low call 1890 260 260.
    * Always on connection: delivers super fast speeds and the ability to work online without disruption.

I've the business starter pack and I won't be happy with them changing my download speed. Will check when I get home.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭douglasman

Go to http://www.eircom.ie
    Click on eircom .ie for your business
    Click on Business Products & Services Information
    Click on Eircom Broadband for Business
    Click on Compare Broadband Options (down at the end of the page)
    Click on Compare Home Products (it actually compares the business products)

and there it is....

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭SparkyLarks

bk wrote:
    BT Broadband + line rental is a better bet for you:

1m/128k + line rental for €30 first 4 months, €40 thereafter, with a 16GB cap.

To compare Eircom would cost €30 + €24 (line rental) for €54 per month with a 4GB cap!!!

It is also worth pointing out that Eircoms offer is only available to new customers, old customers continue to pay €40, unlike BT who are offering there deal to existing customers also.

Very true,

do they give it to you if your 12 month contract is up?? a la mobile upgrades, to entivce you into another 12 month though.

What is the story with connecting a new house. Eircom have an offer wher you get broadband time + free phoneline connection.

does that mean that people with new homes will end up on Broadband time to dave them the Connection fees or can you get a new free connection and a non timed package??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

douglasman wrote:
    I hate to knock you off your lofty perch, but you are talking through your arse. The figures I originally quoted for Business Starter are correct. There are actually two conflicting product specifications on the eircom website.

You quote the figures from a comparison sheet which they obviously forgot to update. It is located at:
    Click on Compare Broadband Options (down at the end of the page)
    The figures I quoted can be seen on the actual product specification page:
    Click on eircom broadband business starter (just over half way down the page, has an "Order" icon next to it
    Click on More Info***
    You will see that eircom broadband business starter is quoted as 20GB down, unlimited up, 2Mb/128K, €42.35 per month incl VAT, exactly as I listed it in my original post. If you want further proof regarding the product specification, check the relevant page in the current Telecommunications Scheme, the definitive list of products/prices. Proof of the current price is shown on page 4 of the current Telecommunications Scheme (Amendment no.18) Special Offer Listing .

I should have spotted 12Gb typo on the original eircom Buiness Plus page that i pasted it in from. Apologies for missing this.
    ***Incidentally, when you are at the last step above (point of clicking on "More Info") take a look at the prices in the blue and white boxes in the centre of the screen................
    Line 1 - eircom broadband business starter Monthly rental:€35.00(exc. VAT)
    Line 2 - Always on Internet access for new low price of €33.05 per month.
    Hello, does anybody proof-read this stuff ?

eircom broadband business starter is quoted as 20GB down, unlimited up, 2Mb/128K, €42.35 per month incl VAT
    Can I change from the Home Starter pack to this or is it only for new customers ?

You should be allowed to "MisterAnarchy" unless they find a loophole to tie you to home products only!
    Damn whoever thought of pricing their Home Plus product at €12 extra a month with a 4GB smaller CAP certainly wasnt thinking properly that day!!!

If I can get that package for 42.35 per month I'll be a happy bunny.
    Seems too good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

If I can get that package for 42.35 per month I'll be a happy bunny.
    Seems too good.
    If you dare to leave beloved eircom, you can get an even slightly better product for effectively €25 per month.

In other words:
    Why not save more by getting line rental + an even slightly better broadband offer from BTIreland for € 50 (and less for new broadband customers)?
    See https://home.btireland.ie/echannel/res.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=res_products&residentialProducts_actionOverride=%2Fpageflows%2FresidentialContent%2Fproducts%2FbroadbandPlus

P.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

De Rebel wrote:
    You will see that eircom broadband business starter is quoted as 20GB down, unlimited up, 2Mb/128K, €42.35 per month incl VAT, exactly as I listed it in my original post. If you want further proof regarding the product specification, check the relevant page in the current Telecommunications Scheme, the definitive list of products/prices. Proof of the current price is shown on page 4 of the current Telecommunications Scheme (Amendment no.18) Special Offer Listing .

They have pulled those off their site :)

Can I change from the Home Starter pack to this or is it only for new customers ?

Looking at the special offer price list, it looks like they want this pricing to apply to new orders only, and that it will run to March 2006. However the "eircom broadband business starter " website page makes no mention of this being a promotional price.

spongebob wrote:
    They have pulled those off their site :)

Still working for me , and I have a copy stored locally if you want to see.

If you dare to leave beloved eircom, you can get an even slightly better product for effectively €25 per month.

In other words:
    Why not save more by getting line rental + an even slightly better broadband offer from BTIreland for € 50 (and less for new broadband customers)?
    Hmm
    I know this ; but I have a 12 month contract with Eircom and I am trapped for another 5 months so I have no choice.
    I'll be off then.

In other words:
    See https://home.btireland.ie/echannel/res.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=res_products&residentialProducts_actionOverride=%2Fpageflows%2FresidentialContent%2Fproducts%2FbroadbandPlus

P.

Sound advice. In principal. However there are 2 issues that cause me to hold back.

(1) ESAT are not always the best to deal with, and not always the most efficient.
    (2) BY ESAT's own admission, you can be withour connectivity for up to 3 weeks while you transition from eircom to esat. Some people have been offline for even longer (ask adam)

ESAT have put down a marker with their new products, and full marks to them for doing so. But I would like to see them follow through on the announcement (which is that part that esat was always good at) before I would trust them to enough to transfer.

Advertisement