Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A nice romantic resturant in Dublin

• 09-07-2001 3:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭

Right heres the story myself and the gf will be together for 4 years in Augest and we're going up to Dublin to celebrate (normally go abroad but the holidays are a bit late this year). Anyway what I'm looking for is a nice and romantic resturant with good food preferrably on the south side around Stephan's Green area (its sad I know but I don't know dublin that well plus we're staying around there). We both love Thai and Indian food but are up for most types of food. Anyone have any suggestions? Preferably somewhere you would take your gf/wife/bf/husband to take you. BTW pls dont suggest somewhere that will cost an arm and a leg for two slices of carrot and a pea smile.gif

kayos

When you get to hell tell them I sent you,
    you'll get a group discount...

tribes.gameshop.ie

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

for something a bit different try
    Khyber Tandoori Restaurant
    44/45 South William St Dublin 2
    Phone (01) 6704855/6704865
    Fax (01) 8735202
    its Pakistani.

/me goes for further thought

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

Yup, Khyber's good. Also, if you like Indian, the Shalimar on George's Street is good - great food and service, low lighting etc. Had a romantic meal there recently and would recommend it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

trocadero, cafe rouge or whatever the qv2.
    all three on er, the street that runs of suffolk street that the international bar is on.
    basically the bottom of grafton street ok.
    all very nice. quiet expensive (90 quid easily, and thats only 1 bottle of wine)
    but well worth the quids if you want o impress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by WhiteWashMan:
    the street that runs of suffolk street that the international bar is on.</font>

I think its Andrew Street - at the side of the tourist office.

Too many freaks, not enough circuses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,709 ✭✭✭jd

Try moes on baggot street-small but good food
    eat ther with my gf and 2 other women which helped (3 blonde cuties) smile.gif
    http://www.moesdublin.com/
    jd

• Advertisement

The Thai Orchid on Westmoreland Street is nice enough (make sure you are away from the door). It's on the edge of Temple Bar, but doesn't have a Temple Bar reputation.

Too many freaks, not enough circuses.

[Too many windows]

[This message has been edited by Victor (edited 11-07-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kayos:
    We both love Thai and Indian food but are up for most types of food. Anyone have any suggestions? Preferably somewhere you would take your gf/wife/bf/husband to take you. BTW pls dont suggest somewhere that will cost an arm and a leg for two slices of carrot and a pea smile.gif

</font>

Trying to mix oriental with romantic can be a bit tough. Hmmm.

If you go out Baggot St (almost to Jurys hotel), there is what I would consider to be one of the two top Chinese restaurants in town - the Orchid Szechuan. Nice and romantic setting with incredible food.

Closer to town, Dobbins is quite good - especially if you can get a booth table. More traditional European.

For Thai - consider the Chili Club - Sth Anne St I think.

All of these are somewhat expensive, but there is no fear of "two slices of carrot and a pea". Youll get at least a whole carrot, and a pea-pod.

Seriously tho....there is no shortage of good resto's about that part of town. All you gotta do is match to your budge and taste.

jc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

try Turkish,

Sinners just off Dame street, opposite the Turk's Head.

don't know the name of the street, sorry!

Thursday nights they have a bellydancer smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

If you havetn gone yet i would highly recommend the Sagaar Restaurant on Harcourt St. Im sure you know where that is - if not its the road past the Eircom buildings as you come up from Stephens Green S.C. Stay on the right and youll see a little sign about 50m up the road which leads you down to the restaraunt below. Its very reasonable and serves excellent Indian cuisine. I highly recommend it.

Alternatively, directly across from Pasta Fresco off Grafton St. there is another excellent Indian. I cant remember the name of it as I've only been once, but it is fantastic. Better than the Sagaar, but more expensive. Myself and my g/f went there once after not being able to get into Pasta Fresco and we were delighted with it. At least she was cause it cost me 100 squids for the meal, 2 bottles of wine and a couple of drinks. But a sure winner if you want to splash out a little more smile.gif.

Btw, we made our 4 years a couple of weeks ago biggrin.gif. I know what you've been through and i feel your pain :P. *chuckles*

Eh, is this the dinner?

Kill, kill, kill the laser mice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Zaltais

For something different try 'The Mongolian Barbecue' its in Temple Bar, but a bit hidden behind Blooms Hotel. It's essentially like a buffet, you go up and choose what you want from the dishes, and they cook it there in front of you (only takes a minute so you're not standing around like a div). You pick your own ingredients so you can only blame yourself if it's not nice. You can go up as often as you want - you only get a small plate, so you usually have to go up about 3 or 4 times (at least!!!) But it's nice and cheap (£12 for all you can eat plus drinks last time I was there), but it might not be the most romantic place in town.

Good if you're planning on staying in Dublin for a few nights and want to save some cash . . . . wink.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Up she goes Right the time is coming soon and I was just wondering if anyone else has any suggestions??? You know you do and hey there migh be some karma in it for you smile.gif

kayos
    When you get to hell tell them I sent you,
    you'll get a group discount...

tribes.gameshop.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Sure call out to me and I'll make you one of my lovely curries smile.gif

Here's one that I wanted to recommend to the board:

101 Talbot is not what you're looking for, but is a nice, inexpensive Italian style place: decent portions, nice food, good wine selection, and you can get a meal and wine for less than a tenner a head if really necessary.

It's #101 Talbot St. and has received a lot of awards etc.

Al.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Well the weekend has passed and it was a good one. We ended up going to Thai Orchaid (cheers Victor) It was a lovely Thai meal and a reasonable price too around the £60 mark for 2X 3course meals and coffe and a Bottle of Wine. I can see what you mean about being at the door we were lucjy as we got a nice seat upstairs. Anyway cheers for all the help folks......

kayos

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Victor:
    Eh, is this the dinner? </font>

Your welcome for the suggest. smile.gif So was this the dinner? wink.gif

Kill, kill, kill the laser mice.

[This message has been edited by Victor (edited 21-08-2001).]

• Registered Users Posts: 1 reviewer

It was one of our best friends' birthday, and we decided to mark the occasion at the Khyber Tandoori Restaurant. A table for 12 people was booked a month in advance.

We arrived at 20.30pm, as planned, and after a few minutes we were given the menus. Time passed and it was 22.00pm and we were still trying to order. That is one hour and a half later. We managed to get drinks, after nearly an hour. I asked the waiter if I could have some water, as I was driving, but he never brought it. I stood up and went 4 times to approach staff, and asked another two waiters if they could please bring some water to the table. They never did. Finally one of the men at our table asked them again, and they brought a jug of water, with a funny colour and a horrible taste - we couldn't drink it.

We ordered just after 22.00pm. The waiter was rushing around, complaining and grumbling. He refused to take an order for food and drinks "food only, food only" was his response. Most of the tables around us were very agitated and angry (which made us feel even more uncomfortable). The same thing was happening to them. But yet, some guests that arrived after we did were finishing their meals before we even got to order ours.

The starters arrived. The one that was supposed to be crab was completely inedible. It was no more than a piece of fried salt. Two hours waiting, and the food wasn't even edible! The waiter also said he would give us 5 free beers for "no complaints, no complaints".

Another 30 minutes passed with no sign of the main courses, and at that stage it was nearly 23.00pm, we decided we had given the staff enough time and consideration and decided to leave. The bill was 160€.:confused: :eek:

That it was the worse customer service experience I and my friends have ever had the bad luck to experience. The restaurant was under-staffed (considering that it was a Saturday night, bank holiday weekend, and we booked a month ago, so they were expecting us). The staff were very rude, intimidating and unhelpful.

The service was disgraceful. Drinks were all thrown at the middle of the table; I wasn't served at all; the presentation of the food was awful; the food itself was not edible.
    Our birthday dinner was ruined; the organiser was really upset he had brought us there; we didn't eat and it was too late to go somewhere else. Some members of our party travelled from outside of Dublin for this 'special occasion', only to be bitterly disappointed.:mad: :(

I have taken some time to let you know about our experience because this shouldn't have happened. There were many angry people at the restaurant that night. The atmosphere was extremely unpleasant.

I hope this review will be useful, and hopefully some actions will be taken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,799 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

What did the manager say when you complained?
    What did the charge of €160 cover?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

All of the above, and did you reconfirm your booking closer to the time?

Sometimes good restaurants - and I've heard mainly good things about the Khyber, if you're talking about the one on Sth William Street - have pearshaped evenings where a bunch of their staff all pull a sicky at once, or their chef doesn't come in etc. In that case it's really up to the manager to close the kitchens, apologise to diners and send them all away (which would be annoying, but better than the experience you described above).

I can't really understand why you put up with it though - 45 mins to an hour is my limit for being ignored by waiting staff, and it's only ever that long if they've brought me a drink.

Advertisement