Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV: need to send back modem at end of contract?

• 20-07-2005 8:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭

My 12 month contract with utv clicksilver is ending in a few days (moving to ntl cos I don't want a phone line). I sent them a mail asking to terminate it a few weeks ago and they told me that I couldn't (because I had entered into a contract of 12 months). So they said I had to wait until the end of the contract, which luckily, is in a few days.

The thing is, they haven't mentioned anything about sending back the modem of filter. Will I get charged for this if I don't send it back?

Any experiences?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭ai ing

When I cancelled with them they specifically asked for it back and gave me the address to send it to (dont have it on me). I am pretty sure that the T+C's state that you will be charged if you dont return it as it reamins their property at all times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

dal wrote:
    My 12 month contract with utv clicksilver is ending in a few days (moving to ntl cos I don't want a phone line). I sent them a mail asking to terminate it a few weeks ago and they told me that I couldn't (because I had entered into a contract of 12 months). So they said I had to wait until the end of the contract, which luckily, is in a few days.

The thing is, they haven't mentioned anything about sending back the modem of filter. Will I get charged for this if I don't send it back?

Any experiences?

Do you have the Zyxel 630 USB modem???
    Well UTV are scrapping the thing...but definitely send it back as UTV would love to take every cent they can from you!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭dal

It is a Zytel USB modem. If my contract is actually up in a few days, then perhaps thats when they will send the mail asking me to send it back.

dal wrote:
    It is a Zytel USB modem. If my contract is actually up in a few days, then perhaps thats when they will send the mail asking me to send it back.

The USB router/modem's are pretty useless these days as you can get much more use from the ethernet connection(multiple PC's connection to a single DSL connection) than the virtual ethernet connection that USB emulates.

I think eircom Time is the only product these days being sold with a dedicated USB router as it is the cheapest option for a useless product that eircom now wish they never tried to offload!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

According to their the contract hey are entitled to charge you €150 for not returning that pile of sh*** :eek: . Send it back. The address is:
    UTV Internet Limited,
    Havelock house,
    Ormeau Road,
    Belfast,
    BT7 1EB.

• Advertisement

I hope thats a freepost address!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

zuma wrote:
    I hope thats a freepost address!!!
    Nope and it's their only address.
    Still, postage will be cheaper than €150 :)

Blimey, thats a bit much to ask.

Has anyone sent it back and how much did it cost?

So UTV run their operations from the Uk with no offices in Ireland that they could be returned to as a means of saving a few €€€???

A 2KG package to Belfast....that would probable be €20-€30(at least) depending on distance I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

zuma wrote:
    A 2KG package to Belfast....that would probable be €20-€30(at least) depending on distance I guess.
    More like €6.50 with An Post

But a Zyxel USB modem weighs only 250g so it actually works out more like €2.50 excluding the 50 cent padded envelope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

kaizersoze wrote:
    According to their the contract hey are entitled to charge you €150 for not returning that pile of sh*** :eek: . Send it back. The address is:
    UTV Internet Limited,
    Havelock house,
    Ormeau Road,
    Belfast,
    BT7 1EB.

I was told to send it to UTV Internet Returns at the above address and to make sure i put my utv account number on the outside of the package.

Christ i hope BT get the finger out and get me connected.

Just to let you know, it has been about 3 weeks since the contract ended and utv haven't asked me to send anything back, and they have not taken any money out of my account. So my advice is; don't bother sending it back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

dal wrote:
    Just to let you know, it has been about 3 weeks since the contract ended and utv haven't asked me to send anything back, and they have not taken any money out of my account. So my advice is; don't bother sending it back

i sent mine back. tbh, tis a piece of junk and i don't want them to have any excuses should they try to get more money out of me.

dal wrote:

Its in their interest not to ask it back as you have already agreed to pay them €100-€150 for the router if its not returned to them in a timely fashion.

Why have you kept it anyway as its of little use to you now?

Its in their interest not to ask it back as you have already agreed to pay them €100-€150 for the router if its not returned to them in a timely fashion. Why have you kept it anyway as its of little use to you now?

I just haven't had time to send it back. I think even if they did try to charge me I could just ring up and say that I will send it back.

Its in their interest not to ask it back as you have already agreed to pay them €100-€150 for the router if its not returned to them in a timely fashion. Why have you kept it anyway as its of little use to you now?

I just haven't had time to send it back. I think even if they did try to charge me I could just ring up and say that I will send it back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Gegerty

dal wrote:

I don't think even UTV will have the balls to charge you without asking for it back first, but to be honest when I'm done with them I don't want to have to keep checking my balance to make sure they haven't charged me, its going back to them asap. Mines still in its packaging I told them when I signed up I didn't want it and they sent it to me anyway. Little did I know it was the start of a beautiful relationship :p

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

kaizersoze wrote:
    Nope and it's their only address.
    Still, postage will be cheaper than €150 :)

Postage cost me 5 Euro I think.
    They never asked me for the modem back (Zyxel 630) but I heard of stories when people got charged 130€ for not sending it back so acted preemptively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

If you want to send back a rented phone to eircon they send you a postage paid envelope to send it back to them. Shouldn't UTV do the same for their modems?

I had eircom's BB trial at the end of last year and they gave me a FREEPOST address to return it to.

Packed it back into its box and wrote the new address on it...returned it to the post office and never heard a word from them again.

Why UTV couldnt do that I dont know as Im sure that a FREEPOST address for their ROI customers could be easily setup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 887 ✭✭✭wheresthebeef

you do need to send it back.
    they are entitled to charge you.
    you are responsible for the costs of the postage and packing.
    and they do have a dublin address, cos i sent mine there.
    you will need to ring them and ask for the address, i think its somewhere near ballsbridge.

i know it might seem stupid. but dont take the risk of being charged 130euro for a ZyXel USB modem that is worth nothing to you.

Advertisement