Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there anyway

Options
  • 20-07-2005 8:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭

That if I leave my browser open, while in work, that the new topics will stay new until I go to "Mark all Forums Read". I get distracted in work, then when I click on a post and go pack to the forums, obviously it's refreshed and all the "New Posts" are not not bold and marked. Is it a setting or is it just a wondows thing? I know I could go by the time etc, but just wondering if it's possible.

Sorry if that sounds like a ramble.

John
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Happens to me too.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

If you idle for 15 minutes your session times out and the "new" topics won't be considered new any more. If you can get your browser to refresh some page every 5 minutes or so then it'll keep the session active.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

There's an extension for Firefox that can do that... I think it's called ReloadEvery?
    I have the opposite problem though where posts that I read show up as unread again. Maybe it's related to tabbed browsing or something, I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Steveire

I wonder how it figures out if you've read something? If i click on a page on a thread, will it assume i've read all posts on that page?

NotMe wrote:
    There's an extension for Firefox that can do that... I think it's called ReloadEvery?

Which is grand until you're writing a reply to a post and it goes for a reload in the middle of it........there it was ....gone..... aaaaaahhhhhhhh :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I find it a little finnicky. If I do a search for new posts, for example, and then go away for twenty minutes, and come back and click on a topic, it marks all posts up until I clicked on that topic as read. If I do a search then it brings up maybe two threads. But if i go away for twenty minutes and then do a search, it brings up all unread posts in those last twenty minutes.

I find it a bit of a bitch with the PM monitor installed. When you open the browser, the monitor immediately checks your PMs. If you don't do a search almost at the same time, all topics are marked as read, and the search is useless. Horrible when you sit down on a Sunday night after not looking at boards all weekend.
    It's actually why I removed the monitor in work. Every time I closed the browser and reopened it, all topics were marked as read.

It's not that big a deal though. Once you understand the beast you learn how to control.

I was wondering had someone got my password 'cos there are threads with posts that I know I definitely haven't read but they're marked as if I had

Seems to happen to others too,so I can stop being paranoid........can't I .....?

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

You can stop being paranoid, I don't know the specifics, probably something to do once again with session timeouts, etc, but it's only recently posted topics that show up as being unread (presuming you haven't read them).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

Which is grand until you're writing a reply to a post and it goes for a reload in the middle of it........there it was ....gone..... aaaaaahhhhhhhh :(
    Ah yeah but you just have the main forum page reloading every X seconds and when you want to reply you open the post in a new tab.

Advertisement