Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hot spicy curry

• 23-08-2001 10:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭

last night i had a hot curry for the first time in a good indian restaurant, it was a Hot Chicken Madras.
    I never knew the effects the spiciness could have... in my ignorance i took a few big forkfulls of the madras much too quickly. I had been anticipating the burning mouth, but jaysus... my eyes started watering like mad, and my nose nearly started running. i was also sweating and my mouth was really burnt smile.gif
    does that happen to everyone if you take too much of it too quickly, or is it just me?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,470 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I remember reading somewhere that spicy food, is not like swwed or sour flavours which stimulate specific areas of the tongue, it affects them all ..at once, which probably comes as a shock to the senses to the first time eater.
    I bet you gulped water to try and quench it?...worst possible thing to do...it just makes the sensation stronger in my experience...bread is better than water (or pappadums will do the trick)
    Or try smoking..yer tongue becomes like leather and you need a good curry to taste food biggrin.gif

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Zaltais

Best thing for spicy foods is actually any dairy produce. Which is why they serve things like spicy chicken wings with creamy cheesey sauces. And them funny yoghurty sauces you get in the indian restaurants.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

dairy products.. yes - and also bread, so the best thing u can have is bread and butter.

i actually shoved a load of naanbread down my throat but that was physically hot so it didn't improve things much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Love Keema Naan bread with a nice hot Chicken Biryani..... mmmmm...

Best Indian in cork is the Eastern Tandoori Palace, if you're ever in the area, wuite nice and a fully licenced bar.... nothing like a good pint of larger with a curry biggrin.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

Science Bit: The flavoursome parts of the spices are oils so you need something that will soak them up or dissolve them. Bread will soak them up. The cholesterol in milk will emulsify oils and so wash them out of your poor mouth. Water will just wash across oil and won't dissolve it so it's pretty much useless. Beer is far better. Like you need an excuse smile.gif

K

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

Actually I quite like really spicy (hot, whatever) food. But I think that it's over time you build up an immunity to the heat. I know this might sounds bad, bit I often use raw chillies as ingredients in my sandwedges. I also have quite an extensive spice rack, containing everything from crushed chillies, paprika, and cumin.

Ones initial instinct is to pick up a glass of water, and you guys are right that won't do the trick. But what I've always done is tried to save the drink until I've finished eating (withstand the pain, you will appreciate the food more). I'm sure kayos will agree with me there.

;-phobos-)

Advertisement