Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Petrol Prices - Time to Name and Shame

Options
  • 20-07-2005 9:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

Petrol Heads of Ireland, Its time to name and shame...

Please note, all posts including petrol prices must be dated with factual information as per that date in order to avoid these companies proclaiming incorrect info.

Statoil (Cassidy's Garage)
    Dundalk Rd
    Carrickmacross
    Co. Monaghan
    Unleaded 108.9 (20/07/2005)

Texco
    Carrickmacross Rd
    Dundalk
    Co. Louth
    Unleaded 104.9 (20/07/2005)

I filled up this morning before the tank went dry in Statoil as above and was shocked at the price, while thinking that 12 miles down the road in Dundalk its 4 cent cheaper, whats the story?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

jeez I used to get diesel at 75cent a litre before Bush invaded Iraq

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

ANDO thats true,:D
    also i got petrol in shankill (texaxo)for 107.9 where as in deansgrange its 102.9
    now thats a difference in price.
    its not that much saving when you think about it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

[QUOTE=kluivert
    I filled up this morning before the tank went dry in Statoil as above and was shocked at the price, while thinking that 12 miles down the road in Dundalk its 4 cent cheaper, whats the story?[/QUOTE]

Competition?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Jelvon

Try living in northern ireland. Per litre of petrol i'm paying 91.9 pence sterling or 131 cent in euros.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Shell, Ballysimon Road, Limerick. Regular Unleaded - 116.2c per litre last Friday. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Egan007

Theres a difference between competition and cartels.

At least with competition the prices go down in most cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

@Kluivert

Is there more garages in the locality of the cheaper one in Dundalk? That's the way I took Egan007's post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Esso, motorway exit of Blanchardstown SC, 109.8 on Saturday. The most expensive I've personally seen in Dublin for Regular Petrol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Macroom Cork, 1.14

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

I don't understand some people unleaded in maxol Templeouge as of yesterday was 108.9 yet a mile down the road in harolds x it was 102.9, as a Taxi driver i will look for the cheapest were feasible, afaik the cheapest is in finglas for diesal anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Enygma wrote:
    Macroom Cork, 1.14

Holy **** - thats pricey! Texaco in town has gone up to 108

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Jelvon wrote:
    Try living in northern ireland. Per litre of petrol i'm paying 91.9 pence sterling or 131 cent in euros.

robbery i filled up in wales yesterday at 80.9stg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

drdre wrote:
    its not that much saving when you think about it

It bloody can be though.
    A 5 cent different in price means that, if you buy 50 litres, you could have got
    €2.50 more fuel in the cheaper place!

10 cent cheaper means a 5 euro saving.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭CTU_Agent

passed a garage under construction the other day.... price board showed 60.9 cent p litre for unleaded and diesel.... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I saw 1.17 somewhere recently and the next price i saw was 1.03 so thats some difference.
    I try and get all mine at Tesco as they are the cheapest i know of. If i do need to get some i put in about €10 enough to do me till i can get to tesco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭thatkindofgirl

Someone was telling me that Tesco petrol isn't very good quality petrol? I figured all petrols would be more or less the same?

Anyone know anything about this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Gegerty

Someone was telling me that Tesco petrol isn't very good quality petrol? I figured all petrols would be more or less the same?

Depends what car you have. with most cars you won't be able to tell the difference. I used to drive an Audi A3 and it has a throttle body flaw which meant it got clogged and fecked up the cars performance. If i used the likes of Statoil the problem intensified because (so I've been told) there is more crap for the engine to burn off. It ran smoothly on Texaco petrol.

People say there's no difference and that the petrol comes from the same place but I think that proves otherwise if you ask me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭comanche

rubbish. all petrol is graded. whoever told you this is buying into marketing & brand nonsense.

anyhows tesco would buy their petrol off someone else in bulk that's how they get it cheap so its prob supplied by shell, texaco or someone.. its not like the pump it and refine it themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Texco v Statoil comment there.

I am of the same opinion. My car "feels" better when i put petrol from Texco in her, when there's Statoil petrol, it doesnt run just as smooth, now theres not a big difference but you do notice the difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭faigs

That little Texaco in Drumcondra across from the Ivy House is the most expensive I've ever seen. It changes all the time but the last time I saw it the price was €1.17. Absolutley ridiculus, it should be boycotted and I don't know how anyone could be stupid enough to buy from there. About a year and a half ago I used to get diesel at 72.9c at Esso Ballymun Road, but generally stick to Finglas/Glasnevin garages coz they're the cheapest in the country. Regulation is needed, as every week the prices seem to go up.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Notice how very slow it is to go down when the price of oil drops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Gegerty

Anybody know anything about the alternative fuels that are being harvested in Ireland? There's some kind of primrose oil or something used for diesel and I think they use alcohol(?) for petrol. The oil can be mixed with regular diesel so that you don't need to get a convertor. Supposed to be very cheap and available in ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Newfie Bullet

comanche wrote:
    rubbish. all petrol is graded. whoever told you this is buying into marketing & brand nonsense.

anyhows tesco would buy their petrol off someone else in bulk that's how they get it cheap so its prob supplied by shell, texaco or someone.. its not like the pump it and refine it themselves.

To be honest, I can't taste the difference at all. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 44 bunker

Come down to dingle unleaded 109.9 and diesel 106.9 three different stations all the same price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The Castle Service Station (ESSO) at the Cork rd/Tramore rd split in Waterford are charging you 112.9 for diesel and petrol! :eek: No wonder its earmarked for closure.

Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭528i

Try 9mpg and see how far €20 gets you ! anyone know anything about hydrogen/fuel cells and how to convert uberpanzers ? man down the pub says a good nissan patrol diesel injin conversion set to run on burnt chip oil is the only job :confused:

Advertisement