Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone socket wiring

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ropers

Solair wrote: »
    Ireland basically uses the same wiring scheme as the United States and Canada for telephones

jack-diagram.gif

(...)

Hotlinking images is Evil™. You should have just liked to the original article page that that image is from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 CorballyHouse

HI,

I only have the old cheap type phone socket, not the "official" Eircom NTU. I am switching to Vodafone Broadband soon and reckon I'll need a "proper" socket. Can I buy these somewhere andinstall myself?

Advice appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60 ✭✭royan

royan wrote: »
    and again (or, they've changed their webserver config so you have to have the www. on the front)
    http://www.reci.ie/Portals/0/RECIDocuments/technicalinfo/eircominterface.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You don't really need one. Just make sure the socket has ONLY the the pair from outdoors inside it. Remove all other extension wiring.

There should be a "micro-filter" with the Modem. If not, buy one. The DSL modem plugs in either direct to "Modem" socket or via a single extension wire connected to the rear of socket and the Microfilter at Modem Extension point.

If there are any extensions for phones they should connect via a plug into the "phone" port of a microfilter connected to 1st socket.

This way, you either need either only one micro filter or only two, no matter how many extensions there are.

watty wrote: »
    You don't really need one.
    I guess noone really needs one, but I've often seen it claimed that the faceplate makes a marginal difference to the signal and speed cf. the soap-on-a-rope type. What's your take on that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Only on the UK system, provided no extensions wired to the 1st box except via a filter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Guys hoping to get BB in with BT soon.

However my main socket is broken and my line is not currently active. BT guy told me to replace it myself! I got a new socket in woodies, and it says to wire red to red and blue to blue.

However there are THREE red wires, a blue one, an orange one and a white one, how do i wire it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Anyone?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

eh , reds ??

not standard wiring , red cables .

Can you take a pic of these and upload , ta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

One wont be used, its most likely the old cable for the old rotary dial phone. It may be the red, so you would use the orange and white and connect as you please, doesn't really matter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 solat

Hi

Getting Broadband with BT. I assumed that eircom would install a phone jack as there wasn't one in the house (I thought at this stage that the house didnt have a phoneline, and eircom would come and do a full install). I rang BT to get info and they told me that my phone line was "active". I searched my house again and found 4 wires coming in a whole 6 inches past my front door, painted over, which was my "active phone line". BT says I need to employ an electrician to fit a Phone Socket.

I bought this http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=22933 in Maplins and wired it up. Is this the correct socket?

Can I get BT to force Eircom to come a replace the wires / socket?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

It's BT's job to fit at least a master phone socket in the house. If BT won't fit a single phone socket for you, contact ComReg and say that your telephone provider is billing you but will not install one phone socket in your house. That should then work.

To be specific, BT are supposed to get eircom wholesale to have a phone socket installed.

Are you absolutely certain there's no socket in the house at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Pauley2

Hi,

House was renovated about a year ago and although it's been rewired internally for phone outlets (some daisychained, others in a "star" configuration) I never bothered turning on the landline. It does work though as when I plug a phone in I get dial tone and if I wait long enough a recorded voice explaining how to sign up w' Eircom...

My question is this:

The original Eircom jack (I still have it - an old surface mounted "Telecom Eireann" 4" square box with as far as I can see no component whatsoever in it), was replaced with a basic wall recessed jack.

The only other part to all this is a truly ancient bakelit box, about 1.5" x 3" in the porch that sits between the incoming line (old copper twisted pair) and the newer house wiring. There are what looks like two long "fuses" in this box that each leg of the line goes through before connecting to the internal wiring.

Is this the NTU? and seen as it works should I bother having it replaced in case it interferes with a possible future broadband connection?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Shouldn't be an issue. That's not the NTU per se. The NTU is meant to be the master socket in the hall that exists if your house is wired up to modern standards. Once wires are properly tightened, there shouldn't be obvious issues with DSL. If there are, this thread will help ya out.

Also, the "NTU" as it's described today, is a 2 part socket that allows the user to disconnect the faceplate and all the extensions in the house for troubleshooting. You can plug a phone into the actual socket behind the faceplate and this lets eircom know if the problem is still there (meaning an eircom fault) or if it goes (meaning it's your problem/eircom will charge you to fix it)

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Bulmers

wondering if someone can help with a question, folks getting broadband but i was looking at their Eircom NTU socket ( one of the new ones ) and it only has two wires connected to L1 and L2 ( orange and white ) The other two wires are not connected and nothing connected to S1 and S2 on the NTU.

Are the two wires connected ok for broadband, or do the four need to be connected, or does a different combo need to be connected to L1 and 2?

tks

L1 and L2 are the start of your internal wiring , the eircom side is fine or you would have nothing . See eircom NTU notes and diagrams here .

http://www.reci.ie/Portals/0/RECIDocuments/technicalinfo/eircominterface.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 7 seamuslawless

Hi all,

I've just moved into a new house and the master phone socket is not connected.

This is the main wire entering the house http://twitpic.com/x1cvz there is an orange wire, black wire, white wire and green wire.

Will either of these sockets be ok to wire up as the master? http://twitpic.com/x1ctu http://twitpic.com/x1cut

if so, what order should the wires be in?

Thanks!

Let eircom piack a pair when they install. Your wiring starts as shown in the NTU schematics above somewhere.

Unfortunately the phone line was installed and we successfully switched to vodafone, so the line is active..... however during renovations the master socket was removed.

pick a pair and just keep at it till you hear a dialtone . the order of the pair is irrelevant.

most likely orange and white from the photo

• Advertisement

Thanks spongebob.... does it matter what points I connect them to on the socket?

read the NTU wiring linked upthread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Seamu$

Hi folks,

Having a problem with an Eircom NTU in a rented house. This is a good thread but I'm not very familiar with all the terminology/technical info so Im struggling a bit!

My broadband initially worked fine but now doesn't work - the Netopia 2247 DSL green light flashes & doesn't go solid, the Internet line doesn't come on at all. I rang Tech Support & they sent me new filters/splitters but this hasn't solved the problem (they have tested the line and say the line is fine & I have been able to use the phone when plugged directly into the socket). They then suggested it's a problem with the main socket in the house & will come out in 5 working days & charge €150 to fix it if it's an internal issue. Therefore I'm trying to fix it myself!

I've opened the NTU & there is simply a blue and a white/blue wire connected to L1 & L2. All the other cables are bundled up unconnected. The front of the socket just snaps onto the back - no cable connected directly to it.

Is that basic setup ok? Any suggestions as to what the problem might be? Could the contacts be lose - do I need to tighten them perhaps? I would be grateful for any suggestions. I have some grainy phone pics if required but the existing setup is as basic as I've outlined.

Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 15 GearoidOM

hi lads...i have two phone lines in my house,one home line and the other a business line..i want to move from my "office" in my home out to my newly converted shed as i need the space...rather than pulling out my business line and re-routing the cable back through the house and out to my shed (as it will be a huge hassle) can i plug in a telephone extension cable into where my work phone is plugged in inside my house and then run the extension cable out to the shed,then plug a splitter into the end of the extension cable where ill have a telephone,fax and a printer...does this sound okay to you guys/gals?.....appreciate any comments...thank you:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

I have just ordered Magnet Broadband, and apparently my line has tested fine for up to 24mbit BB.

Now, I have not had a phone (apart from NTL) sionce moving to this Duplex (it is new).

So, I have discovered I have no NTU installed, but the line is active.

I have a blank over a socket (I'm assuming is Eircom wiring) with 4 pairs of wires - all white :rolleyes:

1) Are Eircom obliged to send an engineer out to install the NTU?
    2) If not, can I get an NTU and install it myself?
    3) Should there be any signal coming through the phone line, so I can use a multimeter to test which pair is carrying the signal?

I have the Eircom NTU guide PDF, its fairly simple stuff, so no worries connecting it myself if needs be, but I need to somehow test which pair is carrying the line....

Any help mucho appreciated!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I'm wiring up my eircom NTU as eircom have just reconnected the line but haven't connected the NTU. I just want to clarify a few things. On the eCU I just connect the pair to L1 and L2. This is my incoming line and then it splits the phone and broadband signal on the face of the CCU. To connect my second line I just connect the cat 5 to L1 and L2 of the connectors labelled 'extension wiring' on the eircominterface.pdf. Any advice much appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I have just ordered Magnet Broadband, and apparently my line has tested fine for up to 24mbit BB.

Now, I have not had a phone (apart from NTL) sionce moving to this Duplex (it is new).

So, I have discovered I have no NTU installed, but the line is active.

I have a blank over a socket (I'm assuming is Eircom wiring) with 4 pairs of wires - all white :rolleyes:

1) Are Eircom obliged to send an engineer out to install the NTU?
    2) If not, can I get an NTU and install it myself?
    3) Should there be any signal coming through the phone line, so I can use a multimeter to test which pair is carrying the signal?

I have the Eircom NTU guide PDF, its fairly simple stuff, so no worries connecting it myself if needs be, but I need to somehow test which pair is carrying the line....

Any help mucho appreciated!
    You'll get 50V DC on the pair carrying the line.

Solair wrote: »
    The concept of 'master sockets' and 'slave sockets' was basically abandoned by eircom / telecom eireann quite a long time ago. BT persists with it today.
    [...]
    Basically the line coming into your house is carried on 2 wires. The 'master socket' had some circuitry in it which was used to remove the AC ringing signal from the line and 'shunt' it down a 3rd wire.

IIRC the BT master socket also includes a surge arrestor component, where secondaries don't. Is that also missing from the Eircom NTU?

Our connection here terminates in a once-white oval junction box which does appear to contain some kind of surge protection - it has an earth wire connected through a component to each side of the line (picture) - Is this obsolete / detrimental (for DSL particularly)? If a modern socket were wired in would that be ditched?

Our DSL has been pretty stable for the last year so I've not wanted to disturb anything, but the signal is marginal and we've been having more disconnects recently, so I'm looking again at making whatever changes I can to compensate. They recently upgraded the exchange for LLU, which seems to have had a slight negative effect on our line quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭alanc

I have connected up the master socket which is working ok, but when I put on the front of the socket I can get a dial tone and everything seems ok. But when I make a call I can't hang up the call???

Any ideas?/

AL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 830 ✭✭✭ArrBee

Not sure if this thread is very active anymore, but I'll chance it.

The info on the 1st couple of pages has been pretty good and got me to the point where I can wire an extension off the main socket.

My problem is that there appears to be wires already laid to another room, but in the main box there are 2 sets of cable.

No bother, I thought, I will connect one and if that doesnt work try the other. But neither work.

Any ideas for testing wires to find out where the other end is, or if it is good?

I used speaker cable to wire up a 1ft extension just to make sure I was dioing it right and that was fine.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement