Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Equipment with BT

• 20-07-2005 10:48am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭

What type of equipment is supplied with BT broadband.

Is the modem BT give also a router - which will allow me to connect with a laptop.
    Or do I have to connect a wireless router to the modem also.

thx

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Hmmmm!

Zyxel 623 Router
    USB Cable
    Cat 5e Cable
    Power
    Manual
    3 Filters
    Manual
    Norton IS CD

The router can be connected to a Switch/Hub to provide BB to a couple of dozen separate computers.

===========================================
    Info is 100% accurate until Feb 2005...no sure about now but I presume its pretty much identical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭ButtermilkJack

I've ordered BB Plus too and was told over the phone that they don't supply any wireless routers, noy even as a 'pay-extra option'. It's just a regular DSL modem!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

zuma wrote:
    Hmmmm!

Zyxel 623 Router
    USB Cable
    Cat 5e Cable
    Power
    Manual
    3 Filters
    Manual
    Norton IS CD

The router can be connected to a Switch/Hub to provide BB to a couple of dozen separate computers.

===========================================
    Info is 100% accurate until Feb 2005...no sure about now but I presume its pretty much identical.
    Plus a webcam :) but maybe thats just on the plus package.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

***The router can be connected to a Switch/Hub to provide BB to a couple of dozen separate computers.***

Sorry lads - new to this - what is a switch/hub ?? where can I get one etc.

Is a s/h the same as a wireless router ??

thx again

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭8track

kaizersoze wrote:
    Plus a webcam :) but maybe thats just on the plus package.
    received eqpt (for BB plus) on Monday, but no webcam. Router is Zyxel Prestige 600, not 623 as received by Zuma in Feb. As posted in other thread, router not working / no dsl signal yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

karltimber wrote:
    ***The router can be connected to a Switch/Hub to provide BB to a couple of dozen separate computers.***

Sorry lads - new to this - what is a switch/hub ?? where can I get one etc.

Is a s/h the same as a wireless router ??

thx again
    Well, a switch/hub is a, uhm, switch or hub. A switch or hub lets you connect multiple computers together through their ethernet ports using cat5 cable. A wireless router is also a switch/hub, just that you can connect to it without wires. You can also usually connect to the wireless router via Cat5 cable as they normally have a few ethernet ports on them too. This is how you would connect the DSL router to it.

If you get a Zyxel 623-R DSL router from BT then you can connect this to a switch, hub or wireless router to share that DSL connection to many PCs. The 623-R has a USB and ethernet connection on it, however some other DSL routers don't have an ethernet connection, just USB. This is no good to you as you can't connect it to the second router.

I don't know if the Prestige 600 has an ethernet connection, perhaps you can request and ethernet DSL modem/router when you order, though I wouldn't count on BT to get that right :(

Advertisement