Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi A3 1.6 Ambition = first car

Options
  • 20-07-2005 11:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

This will be my first car. Is a 1.6 any fun? Kinda wishin i could get bigger engine. but 1.6 is gud right?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

1.6 is big enough for a first car...lucky you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 smashingpumpkin

Thanks fletch, thats re-assuring

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭full forward

I test drove the 1.6 A4 and it was so slow I thought it was broken. But the A3 is lighter so it might be ok.

Yea, the A4 is a big car,

I could get a 1.8 golf for alot less, but it doesn't have the class of an audi :)

Any opinions on Audi A3 V Golf ??????????

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Just enjoy your car and don't crash it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Yea, the A4 is a big car,

I could get a 1.8 golf for alot less, but it doesn't have the class of an audi :)

Any opinions on Audi A3 V Golf ??????????

Both cars use the same running gear along with the Bora/Toledo/Leon and Octavia. Are you talking about a MKI or MKII A3?

And if you mean fun as in "entertaining to drive" then look for something else, the Seat Leon/Toledo were probably the most entertaining of that group at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭ubu

Is it new? is it 1.6 or 1.6 FSI?, the FSI has more power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

i got a 2005 vw golf 1.4, i prefer the golf to a a3.i test drove a 1.6 a3 for 3 days but just didnot like it.are you gettin a 05.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

ubu wrote:
    Is it new? is it 1.6 or 1.6 FSI?, the FSI has more power.

Like UBU says, are you talking about a second hand '96-'03 generation A3 or a new generation 03-> A3. If its an old model A3 then the 1.6 is grand for a first car. Nippy enough. If you are talking about a second hand new model A3 then I would look for a 1.6FSI. You can get the old version 1.6 engine in the the new model A3 too but the extra weight of the new model means it loses some of its sparkle. The 1.6FSI has that bit of extra power to counteract the extra weight of the new model to give the same nippyness of the old 1.6 in the old (lighter) model. Ja get meh! :D

If you are buying a brandnew new model A3 then go for the 1.6FSI Ambition and also get the armrest, dash mounted cupholder and the Interior Light pack. The rest of the options I'll leave to you! :D

I asked my dealer what the €200 interior light pack was and the eejit replied, "Vanity mirror lights or something like that". I said feck that and didn't pick that option. Turns out its, footwell lights, cubbyhole lights, door puddle lights, ambient lights (Leds mounted in the reading light roof cosole that bathe the dash in a cool red glow) Apparently its well worth the money and really lifts the interior.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭astec123

I would take the golf, fun to drive especially if you can get a turbo model, but the Leon is nice along with the C4 3 door. I would save my cash and get a cheaper model with a bit more pep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

The A3 is a classy motor and mated with the 1.6 should be adequate for most drivings conditions. ;)
    Considering most golfs are 1.4 and are abit on the pudgy side I'd go A3 everytime. Plus they are a much more rare sight on the road than the VW :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Tech Pete

First car as a 1.6?
    What age r u?
    What licence do u hold?
    How much money u got for insurance! :eek:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

Tech Pete wrote:
    First car as a 1.6?
    What age r u?
    What licence do u hold?
    How much money u got for insurance! :eek:

Thats what i was thinking.. although i currently dont know of anyone who would insure over a 1.3 standard on a first time policy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Tech Pete

The highest i have heard of is 1.4
    Since they class 1.1-1.4 the same category.
    I tried getting insured on a 1.8 as my dad was giving me the car for free.
    Nowhere would insure me.

I did an on-line quote , and got quoted 2,100.00 for insurance. im 24 male.

It was with Quinn.

Im planning to get a new audi but can't afford the FSI version, its a couple grand extra, too much for a few BHP.

I think the Audi looks alot cooler than the new Golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

I've a '05 1.6 Ambition, and I used to have a an '02 Attraction. They're a great car and I find the engine more than nippy. I did think about the FSI, but the specs say it has to run on 98 octane fuel so I stuck with the regular. Apparently, it does run on 95 but I don't know if you get the same umph.

Hmm - interior lights pack eh? Now you tell me!

aodh_rua wrote:
    I've a '05 1.6 Ambition, and I used to have a an '02 Attraction. They're a great car and I find the engine more than nippy. I did think about the FSI, but the specs say it has to run on 98 octane fuel so I stuck with the regular. Apparently, it does run on 95 but I don't know if you get the same umph.

QUOTE]

Cool, yea i think there are too many negatives with the FSI, higher insurance too no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

Are you going for the Sportback version?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

I hate you. Im on my second car, which is a punto 1.2 because my insurance is €10,000,000 a month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭css

Isn't the A3 a girls car though.. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

css wrote:
    Isn't the A3 a girls car though.. :rolleyes:

What is the basis for a girls car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭css

Squirrel wrote:
    What is the basis for a girls car?

Check out who drives them primarily.. ;)

css wrote:
    Check out who drives them primarily.. ;)

Have you seen the new models??? I don't think you'd say that if you saw em.

I agree though the old ones look a bit girly.

I worked cleaning them and about 80% of the A3's were bought by men

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

A well spec'd A3 is nice, the 1.6 is a fine engine, will take a hammering. fairly thirsty at anything above 120kph. For every day driving you cant go wrong, and it will be easy to sell on.

Test drove the sport-back a while ago, very nice car, I just think they are overpriced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭IrishRover

I "extensively test drove" an '04 1.6 FSI Golf. I was pretty unimpressed with the car as a whole. Of course, your perspective depends on what you're used to but I certainly wouldn't call the car quick. I just kept thinking, this car has 6 gears and not one of them seems to propel the car forward!

On VW's website it says the FSI technology is the most significant development since fuel injection. Big chest beating there, but a preposterous overstatement as far as I'm concerned!

Are you buying this car outright or borrowing to buy it?
    Why not buy an older cheaper car for your first? Less financial strain and less worry. Also, for probably a tenth of what you are paying you could get a faster, higher specified and all round better car. The only downside would be that your reg plate wouldn't say 05 D. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

The FSI only works on 98 ron fuel I think, my problem with this is I think every car gains a little extra poke from super unleaded. I used it on my 1.6 and it made a big difference. But the price is mad, cant see the point in getting an FSI, says 10 bhp more than a normal 1.6. I'd like to see them both off at the lights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Gegerty

I drove a 1.6 A3 (old model) for 6 years. great motor but I switched to a brand new Ford Focus this year. Performance wise there's nothing in them (i actually prefer the focus but that could be because its sports suspension in the zetec :-)) and once the A3 hit the 3 year old mark I had to pump alot of dosh into keeping it in good nick and parts and services aren't cheap believe me! The old A3 model has a flaw in the throttle body which meant it had to go to the garage every 6 months. I'd check that its sorted in the new model before i buy one if i were you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 joeL

I own a 3-month old 1.6 FSI A3 Ambition. Very happy with it. As mentioned, the FSI has a 15 BHP advantage over the older 1.6 unit, which is also only an 8-valve unit. Also, the FSI comes with a 6-speed gearbox. I test drove the old 1.6 and it is noticeably slower! I've been using standard '95 unleaded, as '98 is unavailable anywhere I've looked.

As Calibos said, the lights pack is lovely. I got it in mine, really finishes it off. The interior looks amazing at night! Everything lit up red, including the door handles!
    Armrest good too, but tends to get in the way sometimes, as its positioned over the handbrake.
    But the most valuable option of all is Climate Control. Do not buy a new one without this! It is pricey but absolutely fantastic, especially with the weather last week. Audi package Climate control (or a sunroof) along with ESP braking for some reason.

The Ambition spec is well worth the dosh too. The few touches like the sports seats, leather wheel/gear knob and the wheels really make a huge difference.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭full forward

Is it true you need to use super unleaded ron 98 to get the extra 15bhp from the FSI model? If you dont use the expensive petrol is just the same as the non FSI model.

Advertisement