Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Acceptable packet loss?

• 20-07-2005 11:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭

I have a WRT54G wireless Linksys router, never really tested it so don't have anything to compare it too.

Anyway in short was having some problem with my connection so reset it and updated the firmware, running a lot better now, however did a contineous ping, sent 112 packets, received 110, lost 2. Would you think that's acceptable / normal?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭lazygit

i have the same one, when you say you are pinging are you pinging the router from your PC or using the Routers inbuilt ping console to ping a website.

if your pinging from your PC to the router you should have no packet loss. and a response time of 1ms or so. Make sure you signal strength is high as this can cause latancy issues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Pc to the router, signal strenght is excellent (think it was 'very good' last time), so just ran another one, didn't loose any out of 100, however ping stats: min 1ms, max 11ms average 1ms.

Althought the average is 1ms, it did go above a few times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭lazygit

i would not worry about the odd spike.. put anypacket loss is a pain is the ass for gameing. my pings to my router will go to 50ms if the signal strength is low

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

So long as you are a big online gamer you should be ok with those response times, and 2 out of 100 packets lost wont be noticable unless you're playing online..

Advertisement