Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

After Hours is like a bad teenage disco lately

Options
  • 20-07-2005 11:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭

What with "the echo", threads about how you "smell down there" and the most popular and hated people on Boards: its like a playground with loads of 15-19 year olds who need to get out more often.

Are Mods going to step in or what?

Roll on September when all the kids go back to school :rolleyes:
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

What the hell are you bitching about, after hours is supposed to be laugh if you want somewhere serious go elsewhere , and with someone whom of which only joined in may wit 78 posts to their name you can hardly speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

[frightening voice]I'll shall crush them with my mighty mod pants![/frightening voice]

• Registered Users Posts: 24,247 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I miss Monty!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Willem D wrote:
    What the hell are you bitching about, after hours is supposed to be laugh if you want somewhere serious go elsewhere , and with someone whom of which only joined in may wit 78 posts to their name you can hardly speak.
    He is as entitled to comment on the site as you, or any other member is.

Also his points are somewhat coherent ... Unlike your's.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Amz Amz Amz, I love you I love you. LOL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Roll on September when all the kids go back to school :rolleyes:
    It actually gets worse.

The amount of spam crap posted on boards is unreal, mainly by users with less than a 12month join date

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

Amz wrote:
    He is as entitled to comment on the site as you, or any other member is.

Also his points are somewhat coherent ... Unlike your's.

ohh, layeth the smack-down!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

What with "the echo", threads about how you "smell down there" and the most popular and hated people on Boards: its like a playground with loads of 15-19 year olds who need to get out more often.

Are Mods going to step in or what?
    What would you have me do? Seriously. Every time this pops up, it's of the form, "Mods! Do something!", "Do what?", "I dunno, you're a mod, moderate!". :rolleyes:

If a topic has a vague point, it'll stay. Also, if I manage to miss one which I would otherwise have locked, and there are loads of posts which have managed to build a topic out of an otherwise stupid title (e.g. the smell one) I'll leave it. I still think it's a hell of a lot better than 2 or 3 months ago. It's a noisy forum and always will be. If you don't like it, don't read it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

Willem D wrote:
    ... after hours is supposed to be laugh ...

Hmmmmmmmm, don't really agree. I find After Hours boring and a bit to strict about what you can post there. Just try posting a 'Cockoo Nest's' style post there and it won't be long before your ass gets banned.
    Then you see posts about 'does my crotch smell funny to you?' and others, and they're tolerated???!!!

If you want to have a bit fun and you don't want to take the world seriously there's no better place than the "Cockoo's Nest" (though technically speaking cockoo's don't build or have nests).

PH01 wrote:
    If you want to have a bit fun and you don't want to take the world seriously there's no better place than the "Cockoo's Nest" (though technically speaking cockoo's don't build or have nests).
    I agree actually. If you want somewhere just to chat and talk crap about random stuff, all in the one thread, go to the cuckoos nest or PM your mates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭oneweb

I was trembling with fear...
    Doodee wrote:
    [frightening voice]I'll shall crush them with my mighty mod pants![/frightening voice]
    ...'til I continued reading the sig
    Pandora: Oh, that sounds pretty!

rofl :D

It is what it's.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

seamus wrote:
    What would you have me do? Seriously. Every time this pops up, it's of the form, "Mods! Do something!", "Do what?", "I dunno, you're a mod, moderate!". :rolleyes:

If a topic has a vague point, it'll stay. Also, if I manage to miss one which I would otherwise have locked, and there are loads of posts which have managed to build a topic out of an otherwise stupid title (e.g. the smell one) I'll leave it. I still think it's a hell of a lot better than 2 or 3 months ago. It's a noisy forum and always will be. If you don't like it, don't read it.
    add me as a mod of the forum and i'll show ya how its done :P

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Well Dr. Cox, there doesn't seem to be any rules against juvenile posts like the ones you mention so there isn't really much that can or should be done about them.

Your best bet is to stop complaining and either ignore them or do something to counteract them (by which I mean you should post something you'd consider to be more worthy in the hope that you end up with a thread you want to read. You never know, it might just catch on.)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Stop reading AH.
    I did and I lost 4st in a week.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

I can assure you that the AH mods are working as hard as they can to turn AH into a very very good teenage disco with plenty of non-alcoholic beverages on offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Dr Cox's Ego

How about a Teenage forum so they can talk shíte there?

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Oh dear, the very thought of the crap that would brew there sort of brings a bit of sick up into the back of my throat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

Stop reading AH.
    I did and I lost 4st in a week.

rofl

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

well they have teen ireland, so they should stay there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭ClareBear

Sure you get crap like that on every message board. But I do think a teenage forum is a good idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

ClareBear wrote:
    Sure you get crap like that on every message board. But I do think a teenage forum is a good idea.

Who in their right mind would want to moderate a forum so awful though, if not solely for power?

Spending the day reading through hundreds of posts of "newere gud 2 go dese dayz?" is not exactly top of most people's "Things I enjoy" list. But that's off topic, After Hours has always been the way it is, every few months people put up a thread whining about how it's been deteriorating of late, but fact is that it hasn't. Look at After Hours in 2002 - same style stuff in it (though not as many "I hate scumbags do you have scumbags let's kill scumbags" threads).

Maybe those complaining should stop and consider whether it's the quality of threads deteriorating, or simply them growing up.

Fobia wrote:
    Maybe those complaining should stop and consider whether it's the quality of threads deteriorating, or simply them growing up.
    Well said Fobia.

On top of that, you also need to consider the growth in the size of boards.ie. When I joined there were 4000 members. Now there are over 40,000. AH was busy when I joined, though it was usually the same people talking. Now the noise and volume of posters has increased tenfold. It's not necessarily always the same people, and the amount of really good topics gets more diluted. In the last year alone, membership has almost doubled, and accordingly, the noise on AH has doubled.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Shouldn't the likes of this:
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=280916
    be moved to a more appropriate forum, i.e. Animals / Pet Issues
    Trojan was the first to reply but saw no need to move it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

A teen forum sounds like a good idea. We could observe their behavior in their natural habitat and keep an eye on what they talk about about when they think the grown ups aren't listening. You know what they would love (if it were technically possible)? How about an on-screen keyboard but not a PC keyboard, oh no. A mobile keypad with some really ****ty predictive text would be nice so they have no option but to communicate in their beloved txt spk. It would have to be compulsory to post in txt spk on the teen forum to avoid any confusion.

rkm wrote:
    Shouldn't the likes of this:
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=280916
    be moved to a more appropriate forum, i.e. Animals / Pet Issues
    Trojan was the first to reply but saw no need to move it...
    Ah yes, thanks for reminding me. I intended to do it, but then I read it and closed the tab. We're no perfect :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

seamus wrote:
    Ah yes, thanks for reminding me. I intended to do it, but then I read it and closed the tab. We're no perfect :)
    But my whole theorem for boards depends on you being Gods, DAMN IT!
    Back to the drawing board...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Despatch wrote:
    A teen forum sounds like a good idea.

Isn't there a little monsters forum already? recall seeing something in the biki about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

Hobbes wrote:
    Isn't there a little monsters forum already? recall seeing something in the biki about it.
    I think that's in relation to the Junior Cert Forum.

Advertisement