Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

LPG Autogas

Options
  • 20-07-2005 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

Just been over in England and spotted a few petrol stations starting to advertise that they sell LGP Autogas. Havent seen that over here before. Might just be becuase I hadnt been looking before hand. Point is it was nearly half the cost of the unleaded.

Started looking for information about it when I got back. Found a few good places from googling eg ILPG with information about Ireland. There are 300 petrol stations that sell the stuff!

Just wondering why more people are not looking at is as an alternative fuel? I know there is an initial cost to convert a car to use it (for my Alfa 147 I have been given an estimate of €2500! Which is a bit steep, still looking around.) but in the long run, with petrol prices rising, it should be worth the investment?

What do ye think?

Squishey

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Used to be very popular in the Netherlands (as in the vast majority of fleet cars used it)

All depends on the taxation regime really. You've got to work out the break even annual mileage compared to an equivalently powered petrol or diesel car, i.e. the MPG on LPG is worse than petrol and way worse than diesel. The fuel costs is typically lower than petrol / diesel because the excise duty is lower. The initial outlay (although it might be subsidised in some countries) is higher on LPG / diesel compared to petrol

Also you lose power and obviously a lot of space with LPG. At high annual mileage, lpg and petrol engines won't last as long as diesel and depreciate more

With modern diesels, high mileage drivers are probably better of with diesel, but you need to do the sums!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

In the UK LPG is much cheaper and there are significant grants for converting your car. Here the figures don't really add up.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭green-blood

this is not new, you can buy dual fuel cars from Volvo. My father had a dual fuel Renault 18 estate (woudl love to have one of them for a laf) Brilliant economy, we toured France in it, no probs getting fuel.

you'll hear all the rubbish about it being a baomb in the boot....eh is that not exactly what that tank of petrol under you back seat is!!??!!?

Advertisement