Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Washington St - Old Cinema

Options
  • 20-07-2005 1:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭

Hi, Can anyone remember the name of the old cinema that was on Washington St ( roughly where The Long Island Bar is now) ? Have been trying to remember for days and all the memory cells have come up with is 'Apollo' but not sure....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭tirl

was it the Cameo?

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

I think it was the Classic. The Cameo was up in St Luke's, but that was before even my time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Jim Comic

the classic i think

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Yip, the Classic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭smileygal

Thanks. Memory cell mystery solved. :D

• Advertisement

P.S. Where in St Luke's was the Cameo -is the building gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

It was on Military Hill, on the junction with Old Youghal Road as far as I remember. I think it has since been demolished and replaced by apartments. After the cinema closed down it spent a few years trading as the "Cameo Used Furniture Centre". The guy who ran the cinema also ran the furniture centre and also used to run a pirate radio station from the same building. I remember hearing numerous ads for the furniture centre - "used cinema seating now available!". I'd say it wasn't too hard for the guards to track down the station...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭pma-ire

Thanks smileygal !!

I've been having this debate with my father-in-law about the fact that there was a cinema on Washington street at all!

Never mind the name!

I was right BTW :D

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭reic

Wasn't there one called the Ritz, where the Stephen Pearce building is now on Washington Street?

Glad it helped you win the debate, Paul!

Not sure which Stephen Pearce building on Washington St - the one I was referring to houses 'Acorn Life' and possibly/next to the Long Island Bar (mmmm, cocktails) and if you look up high, has two hideous red poles as part of the new building.

• Advertisement
Advertisement