Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tiesto

• 20-07-2005 1:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭

I've only recently started listening to dance music an I've become a huge fan of Tiesto. His music is amazing and I'm just wonderin does anyone have any suggestions of other DJ of a similar style, or even reccomend another DJ that you think I should listen to?? Thanx :cool:

Ur favourite DJ 17 votes

Tiesto
    0%
    Kosmonova
    76%
    Nietzschean[Deleted User]garthvStephen PMB44kinkstrtel922001deisedollydrunkenfoolNickibaby*Bowing2BuddhaGijoeBabes/05 13 votes
    Judge Jules
    17%
    trance20042tel1[Deleted User] 3 votes
    Lisa Lashes
    5%
    Lenny 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Alkers

If you like Tiesto try Ferry Corsten. Very similiar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭tel922001

Kosmonova
    Eddie haliwell another good trance / hard trance dj

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭sur_1_nuage

All these guys are BORING!
    Sorry but i m not considering them as DJ's. As much for the music then for the mkt around them...they suck!
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

Armin van Buuren.

If you like Tiesto you'd probably like the In My Memory album from a few years ago. Nice vocals on there from Jan Johnson.

In Search Of Sunrise is a full series to look out for - personnally I find it too mainstream but you should give it a look.

Edit: There's also a series called Magic or Magik or something...and a newer album called Nyana.

Sorry but i m not considering them as DJ's. As much for the music then for the mkt around them...they suck!
    Jesus could we stop this sh!t! I don't give a toss if you don't like them/they're not credible enough for you...most of us are aware what level Tiesto is viewed at. But this isn't an exclusively underground forum so if your not interested don't post.

We've an eclectic enough mixture of tastes in here that you should be able to find another thread your interested in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭kinkstr

Kosmonova

Why does someone always have to piss all over someone elses thread, the guy asked about dj's similar to Tiesto.

Id reccomend eddie halliwell or johan gielen myself. The halliwell essential mix mite be in the kev's essential mix thread sticky. Ill have a look for a few johan sets, havent heard much from him lately.

Ok guys! all my apologies about it!
    i wasnt trying to piss over the thread but i read it and gave my opinion!
    arent the message boards made for that?

I know why you said it but that kind of opinion isn't going to add much to the discussion now is it? Debate is all well and good but your hardly going to convert the guy to Aphex Twin overnight. As I said Tiesto's merits etc. are fairly obvious to most. It's a bit like telling someone that they're favourite girl band arn't in it for the love of the music...and at least Tiesto is somewhat less mainstream and has produced his own stuff. Most people's tastes constantly evolve and I'd prefer to see someone getting into dance as opposed to getting out of it!

We all started listening to dance/electronica from somewhere :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭kinkstr

Kosmonova
    Bri wrote:
    I know why you said it but that kind of opinion isn't going to add much to the discussion now is it? Debate is all well and good but your hardly going to convert the guy to Aphex Twin overnight. As I said Tiesto's merits etc. are fairly obvious to most. It's a bit like telling someone that they're favourite girl band arn't in it for the love of the music...and at least Tiesto is somewhat less mainstream and has produced his own stuff. Most people's tastes constantly evolve and I'd prefer to see someone getting into dance as opposed to getting out of it!

We all started listening to dance/electronica from somewhere :D

Well said mate

right Bri!
    Now if our "little Buddha" wants me to redirect him or convert him to some good fresh stuff, he s more than welcome. I ll "yousendit" some accessible good sets he/you might like!

now if he wants to continue this way i can advise him Paul Van Dijk, Timo Maas,
    Deep dish, ... or more progressive Sasha, digweed..
    There you go ! Have fun

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

If you like Tiesto, then you should also consider...

Paul van Dyk
    Tillman Uhrmacher
    Ferry Corsten
    Armin Van Buerren

right Bri! Now if our "little Buddha" wants me to redirect him or convert him to some good fresh stuff, he s more than welcome. I ll "yousendit" some accessible good sets he/you might like!
    That's very good of you, but don't worry about me I'm currently quite content in my genres of interest at present. Did I mention I'm not actually a fan of Tiesto?!
    now if he wants to continue this way i can advise him Paul Van Dijk, Timo Maas, Deep dish, ... or more progressive Sasha, digweed..There you go ! Have fun
    That's what we're looking for.

Kosmonova
    check out Sasha and Digweed Northern Exposure Vol1
    Northern Exposure volume 2 (west coast edition, dont get the east coast one)

or theres a really good oakenfold album, it got a white cover, think its called 2years at cream

van buuren's and van dyk's stuff lapses into chedderland a lot (i think!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

The poll choices are mighty strange? lisa lashes in with tiesto? YOu do realise they play completely different music yes?

If its stuff from from the likes of tiesto your after then avoid anything that lisa lashes plays. COmpletely different styles. Judge jules is a cheesey tosser.

Anyway as has been pointed out Van dyk is probaly your best bet. Dancing of poltics part 2 is out(or due out) might be worth checking. Part 1 was unreal at the time, bit dated now though.

Ferry corsten
    Markus schulx
    Thrillseekers
    Armin van buuren

tbh the best thing to do is get a recent tracklisting from a tiesto set and see what artists track where on it, then get a few set from those artists.

Avoid Halliwell essential mix. THe first hour is technom the 2nd is hard trance. WOnt be similiar to tiestos style at all.

To the OP: What particular aspect of Tiesto do you like? i.e. Is it his live sets or that remix of Barber's Adagio For Strings?

That'll give us a better of idea of what your looking for. You'll find a few of the DJs above play much very different sets to the albums they've released.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

right Bri!
    Now if our "little Buddha" wants me to redirect him or convert him to some good fresh stuff, he s more than welcome. I ll "yousendit" some accessible good sets he/you might like!
    Will you please point me in the direction of good music, O Wise One.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Why the **** is Lisa Lashes on the poll?

if you want good hard dance, check out the likes of Daley, Mark Maitland, Marc Johnson, Justin Bourne...
    Lashes is a ****ing joke

Will you please point me in the direction of good music, O Wise One.

What do u mean? Do you want me to post a set? :) No problem for this! I ve got some crunchy stuff on my HD.
    just ask me and tell me what kind of style ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Bowing2Buddha

Kosmonova
    Thanks Guys appreciate it.. Loadsa stuff downloading at the min.. I'll be sure to let u no what i think..

Kosmonova
    so what djs do u like then? remember the post is about trance djs so give us ur top four trance djs?

• Advertisement

tel922001 wrote:
    so what djs do u like then? remember the post is about trance djs so give us ur top four trance djs?

I thought it was obvious : I HATE TRANCE :) I think this music is silly and running in circles
    Apologies for the trance-lovers! if u like it, fair enough! i respect ur music

Sorry but ask me my tastes in any other kind of electronic music BUT Trance.

Kosmonova
    I thought it was obvious : I HATE TRANCE :) I think this music is silly and running in circles

Well if u dont like it dont comment on it , im sure there is alot of stuff u like that we would think its rubbish , so if the subject doesnt tickle ur fancy best not to comment on it

tel922001 wrote:
    Well if u dont like it dont comment on it , im sure there is alot of stuff u like that we would think its rubbish , so if the subject doesnt tickle ur fancy best not to comment on it

So clearly u dont read the entire post before adding your comments caus i already gave my reason to comment it.

the title of the post is "Tiesto" so i read it because i m curious and gave my opinion as the message boards are made for it.
    But anyway no worries, i remind you that the post is about Tiesto and not about the way i should behave in your opinion. :D

C you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Loobz

I didnt choose any of those DJ's.

Lisa Lashes was good back in the day. Her best mix cd came free with Mixmag yonks ago.

Tiesto was ok for a while, he has lots of mixes out but all seem the same to me. I can understand why he would appeal to a newcomer to the dance music scene. He seems to be an all-rounder.

That is all.

Edit: Stop with the childish arguements already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Sur_1_nuage, most of us don't listen to trance but we still don't go spamming, "TrAnCE SUX LoL!". Stop being such a nazi.

What are your tastes in any other kind of electronic music but trance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Bowing2Buddha

Kosmonova
    Bri wrote:
    To the OP: What particular aspect of Tiesto do you like? i.e. Is it his live sets or that remix of Barber's Adagio For Strings?

That'll give us a better of idea of what your looking for. You'll find a few of the DJs above play much very different sets to the albums they've released.
    So far i've liked almost everything i've heard.. Traiffic and adagio for strings, sunset on ibiza bein the 3 best so far, sparkles an lethal industry are animal aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Loobz wrote:
    Lisa Lashes was good back in the day. Her best mix cd came free with Mixmag yonks ago.
    Aye.
    anyone that puts drop the dime, the killer and freefall on one cd instantly wins my respect. (3 of my favourite hard house tunes from the glory days. can't wait for drop the dime 2005 to get released :) )
    she did a lot in the following years to lose that respect though.
    she's just another money grubbing muppet who's doing nothing for the scene these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

check out Sasha and Digweed Northern Exposure Vol1
    Northern Exposure volume 2 (west coast edition, dont get the east coast one)
    total class

• Advertisement

Anima wrote:
    Sur_1_nuage, most of us don't listen to trance but we still don't go spamming, "TrAnCE SUX LoL!". Stop being such a nazi.

Come oooon! Dont exagerate, i didnt spam the whole forum and i didnt bullied him because he listens to Trance. and stop sayin i m a nazi you idiot, you dont even know what it means for me to be called like that.
    I was just answering and giving my opinion, as i wrote before i RESPECT his choices so now STOP! please

What are your tastes in any other kind of electronic music but trance?

I m really eclectic i think except for T...ce
    In electronic music, i like house, tek-house, electro-house, breaks, pure electro, tek, minimal tek, even some gabber so who s saying i m not eclectic and close-minded. Even in trance there are some exceptions but they re really rare.
    To give you names i would go for Dr Lektroluv, Vitalic, Derrick Carter, DJ sneak, Marco Bailey, Kanziany, East coast boogiemen, Raoul (1 of my favourites!!), Villalobos, hawtin, Eulberg, Vath, Hell.....

There you go....now we stop the debate over my feeling about trance ok?

Have a nice week end c ya!

Kosmonova
    Loobz wrote:
    I didnt choose any of those DJ's.

Tiesto was ok for a while, he has lots of mixes out but all seem the same to me. I can understand why he would appeal to a newcomer to the dance music scene. He seems to be an all-rounder.

That is all.

Edit: Stop with the childish arguements already.
    Tiesto has been around for a very long time in dj terms , just the last few yrs he has become more mainstream, yes he does alot of remixes but he also does a hell of alot of his own stuff, flight 643 is one of his biggest selling tunes, he doesnt rob and remix an awful lot of other peoples stuff and call it his own, the only one would be adagio for strings, he has won the dj of the year for the last 3 yrs running , other djs that won this have been carl cox ,paul oakenfold, roger sanch , sasha , digweed , and the people who vote for him are other djs , i love trance and in my eyes he is the best since paul oakenfold, and i think he is even better at producing his own stuff, he is also the biggest sellout dj in the world , in one event 250,000 people seen him play and there was no other act just him, in some of his work he has a choir , which in his live sets he has the singing live, also the guy from aqualung plays the piano , in his live performance and he has a full orchestra playing with him, so he is not ur average dj , he is alot more

Kosmonova
    I m really eclectic i think except for T...ce
    In electronic music, i like house, tek-house, electro-house, breaks, pure electro, tek, minimal tek, even some gabber so who s saying i m not eclectic and close-minded. Even in trance there are some exceptions but they re really rare.
    To give you names i would go for Dr Lektroluv, Vitalic, Derrick Carter, DJ sneak, Marco Bailey, Kanziany, East coast boogiemen, Raoul (1 of my favourites!!), Villalobos, hawtin, Eulberg, Vath, Hell.....

There you go....now we stop the debate over my feeling about trance ok?

Have a nice week end c ya!
    its funny marco bailey has many trance tunes out

tel922001 wrote:
    its funny marco bailey has many trance tunes out
    yes ok 10 years ago, and even...listen to 1 of his set you ll notice straight away it s faaaaaaar away from trance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭skkatter

tel922001 wrote:
    he is not ur average dj , he is alot more
    And Céline Dion isn't your average singer.

• Advertisement

Kosmonova
    skkatter wrote:
    And Céline Dion isn't your average singer.
    So do u like Celine Dion? i think ur on the wrong board lol

i also agree with u about the marco bailey stuff but on recent trance releases his stuff is been sold as trance honestly, he is class but some times his stuff can sound a bit he is bangin a bucket , alot of trance djs are goin the way marco bailey went , marco v is a class trance dj and he is goin down the same lines as marco bailey

yes ok 10 years ago, and even...listen to 1 of his set you ll notice straight away it s faaaaaaar away from trance.
    Yeah but not in a good way.

Marco Bailey is an atrocious DJ, and his productions are even worse.

Yeah but not in a good way.

Marco Bailey is an atrocious DJ, and his productions are even worse.

yup yup! good boy pfff :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Nah Tiesto isn't great. His music is very formulaic, which is pretty much the problem with trance these days. The only trance I listen to is usually just random tracks that I hear and think, "hmm thats pretty cool i guess".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭2tel1

Judge Jules
    If your all goin to get into this...

Trance is over produced, thats why its sh1te.

Nobody can say Tiesto is a gifted DJ or anything of the sort. He mixes in every 5 mins or so. WOW :eek: !!! Thats hard... :rolleyes:

Lisa Lashes is just goddam awful. Its just FACT that these DJs play, basically, sh1te.

If I was starting out listening to these I would want *more experianced* people to tell me they were sh1te. I'd be thanking them.

The Sur 1 dude is right (even though these arguments get very boring)...but if Tiesto floats your boat, listen to him and the others mentioned above, bottom line!

• Advertisement

yup yup! good boy pfff :D
    I dont know what you are trying to say here, but I hope you are not defending Bailey.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I can never understand these arguments and slagging of others taste in music, or the selection of one genre and saying its crap and thats then gospel. I have read these types of threads so many times and not bothered saying anything but it actually really annoys me. People come here looking for suggestions as did the OP not for a slagging match of their taste in music. There are plenty of types of electronic/dance music that I can't listen to but I would not for a second say that they are crap because they are not to my taste. The fact remains whether you like Tiesto or not, many people buy his music/DJ sets and thousands flock to his gigs and have a great time. Each to their own, not liking something does not mean its crap, its your personal taste. If its so f*cking easy to produce this music that you are slagging, go and do it yourselves and make a fortune, dont waste your time here :mad:

Edit - and just to add to this rant, this is an age old argument that has been around long before forums existed, I personally have listened to this crap since I first got into dance/electronic music 15 years ago. Back then techno was just noise and vocal house was gay. Oh and a lot of the trance was for scumbags. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

When offering viewpoint on a particular genre its important to separate the genre from the individual. I still like trance but Tiesto like oakenfold has gone down the pan in recent times. Tiesto 's last two Essential mixes (IMO the benchmark by which one should judge current form) were poor. There are other djs such as Jon O'Bir, Above and Beyond, Armin van Buuren and the perennial Paul van Dyk which are better than Tiesto at he moment. Having a mailing list that has 40,000 people on it goes a long way to explaining his ranking in the dj poll.

Advertisement