Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Filmmaker Most likely To Become Legendary

• 20-07-2005 1:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭

What filmmaker with only a few films to his name r is at least not that well known yet is the most likely to gain legendary status in the years to come:

as many as u want and reasons too if you like,

My 3 are

Wes Anderson
    Michel Gondry
    Spike Jonze
    Jonathan Glazer

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

My 3 are

Wes Anderson
    Michel Gondry
    Spike Jonze
    Jonathan Glazer

That's 4 choices.

Might as well be constructive though.

Neil Marshall - seems to have the knack for making good horror movies (a rariety these days)

Christopher Nolan - Batman Begins, Insomnia and Memento says it all really

Of your 4 directors I think only Michel Gondry and Spike Jonze could become legendary. Even Spike has only really made Being John Malcovich and that was 6 years ago. It'll be interesting to see what Michael Gondry's next movie is like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Alan Smithee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Uwe Boll for the same reason Ed Wood is legendary today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

i dont really think uwe boll will reach the levels of ed wood. Ed Wood made bad films, but they were absurb bad films from the beginning storyline, premise...everything. Uwe boll bought Game Licences and took a nice big d*mp on them.

so shockingly Ed Wood can at least be original, Uwe Boll is just sh*te from beginning to end...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

My opinions:

Christopher Nolan (loved the fantastic 'Memento' and 'Insomnia' to bits.. and the man wowed me with 'Batman Begins' - looking forward to future projects)

David Fincher (yeah.. disappeared after Panic Room but currently in pre-production of a new film chair again. Look at this guy's filmography though: Seven, Fight Club, The Game... fantastic!)

Quentin Tarantino (love the man's films and has probably already achieved legendary status with the 5 films he's made, not to mention all he's wrote)

M. Night Shyamalan (yes.. i know you all hate 'The Village' but the guy continues to impress me. Not with the twists but with the ways he's different elements of his movies - paranormal drama, comic book movie etc.

Peter Jackson (the man became legendery after 'Bad Taste' in my opinion but with the 'Lord Of The Rings' under his belt and 'King Kong' on the way,

Wes Anderson (very unique director and has a great style to his film-making)

Richard Kelly (yes.. only one film but 'Southland Tales' sounds promising!)

- all great director's but whether they become legendery depends on their future films!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Kazaanova

Fincher is a brilliant director, and would be my pick. His films are already legendary. Its easy to overhype the guy, because the Game, Se7en and Fight Club were so well written with very unique stories, but I've seen all of his films, music videos and nearly all his ads and hes a very talented director. It will be interesting to see if he can top Se7en with Zodiac. I've heard his name being attatched to a lot of films that would of been brilliant under his direction, like MI:3.

Quentin Tarantino is already a legend. I always thought the guy was kind of a fluke, but Kill Bill showed me that he is without question a great filmmmaker.

Michael Gondry...I've really only seen Eternal Sunshine, and that was written by Charlie Kauffman. Michael Gondry did a great job though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Wes Anderson - all pure gold, and I believe he'll continue to release great films

Tarantino - he's already a pop culture icon of sorts, Pulp Fiction is a classic, and secures his place

Tim Burton - wonderful and very distinct style, I believe it deserves him a place on my list

I would like to say Takashi Miike, but he's not mainstream/well known enough to become legendary.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Lochaber

I suppose it depends on what you mean legendary...

I'd definitely go with Tim Burton however he already is pretty well known so I don't know if it fits your criteria...

I'd like to think Wes Anderson but as much as I love his films I know that lots of people don't so... legendary? maybe in a cult kinda way...

Michel Gondry - big fan of his music videos and Eternal Sunshine... definitely a contender I think!

Peter Jackson - he's on the cusp already, if King Kong turns out well then he's there.

Miike Takashi's already a legend ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

'Park Chan wook'
    'Takashi Miike'
    and possible Reiuhi Kitamura (i hope so anyway)
    will achieve cult legendary status if that counts, like the way john carpenter is now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

nadir wrote:
    'Park Chan wook'
    'Takashi Miike'
    and possible Reiuhi Kitamura (i hope so anyway)
    will achieve cult legendary status if that counts, like the way john carpenter is now.

You mean they're start making some of the worst films imaginable, yet beyond all logic, someone will keep financing them?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,889 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I bought Versus recently. God that was a waste of my time and money. He also made a mess of the cutscenes in Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes.

I liked Versus for what it was, it isn't very deep and meaningful, just fun. But having said that, I'd never place Ryuhei Kitamura in any "top directors" lists. He's too "MTV" for that. Fun brainless popcorn movies.
    I guess Takashi Miike shouldn't be either, I just really love the visual styles he uses, and the themes in his films. They're just so out there, and weird. Then again he's made a few stinkers, but with the amount of films he cranks out (loves to work at a fast pace), it's bound to happen.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I don't think Tarantino can count - he's one of the most well known directors in the world!

I'm hoping "The Fountain" will start pushing Darren Aronofsky to the limelight. He's only 36, so he's plenty of film-making years in him yet.

Christopher Nolan, only 34, has also potentially got what it takes to achieve legendary status. He's got 3 firm works behind him - all solid, and some showing remarkable inguenity. He's starting to enter the big league now, so he may be about to attempt the legendary status.

Potentially David Fincher too - 'Se7en' and 'Fight Club' are more cult classics and his most mainstream movie 'Panic Room' was plagued with problems (there's a reason he's taken so long to make a new movie..). 'Zodiac' will hopefully let him get a broader recognition, although his tendancy towards darkness may hold him back.

I'd like to say David Lynch but I think he's too weird, too hit'n'miss for the mainstream, and if he was going to become a legend, he'd have done so by now. Love his work though.

It depends how you define "legendary". I don't think legendary means "popular now", but well known and respected many many many years from now. Like Hitchcock, Kurosawa, etc are now.

ixoy wrote:
    I don't think Tarantino can count - he's one of the most well known directors in the world!

I'm hoping "The Fountain" will start pushing Darren Aronofsky to the limelight. He's only 36, so he's plenty of film-making years in him yet.

Christopher Nolan, only 34, has also potentially got what it takes to achieve legendary status. He's got 3 firm works behind him - all solid, and some showing remarkable inguenity. He's starting to enter the big league now, so he may be about to attempt the legendary status.

Potentially David Fincher too - 'Se7en' and 'Fight Club' are more cult classics and his most mainstream movie 'Panic Room' was plagued with problems (there's a reason he's taken so long to make a new movie..). 'Zodiac' will hopefully let him get a broader recognition, although his tendancy towards darkness may hold him back.

I'd like to say David Lynch but I think he's too weird, too hit'n'miss for the mainstream, and if he was going to become a legend, he'd have done so by now. Love his work though.

David Lynch is already a legend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

David cronenberg.

Whevever I see a sex scene in a movie, or something absurd, I think hmmm....its no "crash"!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

koneko wrote:
    I liked Versus for what it was, it isn't very deep and meaningful, just fun. But having said that, I'd never place Ryuhei Kitamura in any "top directors" lists. He's too "MTV" for that. Fun brainless popcorn movies.
    I guess Takashi Miike shouldn't be either, I just really love the visual styles he uses, and the themes in his films. They're just so out there, and weird. Then again he's made a few stinkers, but with the amount of films he cranks out (loves to work at a fast pace), it's bound to happen.

I loved azumi, I think he has it in him to make great movies in the future, if he would only just go for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Though I love Wes Andersons's films I can't see what he's done that will accord him the status of legendary. Influential, maybe, but not legendary. Not yet.

Fincher and Lynch on the other hand have done enough to have left their mark and I believe will be talked about for years to come.

Gondry has proved himself as a music video director; one of the greatest of all time in fact. Haven't seen Eternal Sunshine but from what I hear his promise is greatest amongst those who haven't yet a substantial body of work behind them.

I dont think Fincher has even come close to doing enough to become legendary. He isnt even in the same league as David Lynch. Lynch is the ultimate auteur and his movies have had and will keep having an influence on a huge amount of filmakers. The most influential thing Fincher has done is the opening credits sequence in Seven.

• Advertisement
Advertisement