Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MP3 Project

Options
  • 20-07-2005 2:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

I'm goin in2 my final year of a computing course- there's a big project involved. I'd like to do something related to mp3's- maybe an organiser or an id3 tag editor- just wondring has any1 attempted anythin similar? any advice would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Loads of people have achieved something similar - the daddy is the Godfather - http://users.otenet.gr/~jtcliper/tgf/

Personally, as a final year project, I'd recommend a web based app, purely because its not that hard to write something that does plenty of reasonable complicated sounding stuff (like integrates with databases), and looks pretty (which is a huge importance). And not having to deal with listener objects, actions on clicks, capture of keyboard input etc. will save you a lot of effort.

But if you're looking for a challenge, go for it. Never know, I might use it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭gungo

Cheers for that- if it was up 2 me I'd be doing something along the lines of what you said- but we were told that web based database stuff like that are marked much harder because so many people opt 4 that option :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

How about an mp3 encoder that connects to an online music database?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭fractal

Of couse it doesnt have to be the case but web-based stuff doesnt get marked harder because there are more people doing it.. Its because the general complexity of whats going on in the background is far far simpler than its equivalently functional non-webbased counterpart.

ie: anyone could go off and write a simple gui web-based calculator.. using javascript or some serverside-a-ma-bob... Very easy..
    Now try do the same in VB.Net... (slightly trickier)
    Now try do it in raw assembler... (not easy at all)

And you'd get better marks for the assembler version because of 1. the difficulty of the project and 2. the amount you stand to learn by doing the project in a particular way...

Not saying you should go write a calculator in assembler for your fyp but be sure you're able to demonstrate the difficulty and practicaltiy of implementing whatever you decided to do, and also what you learned from it.

As an FYP you'd generally not be required to come up with something cutting edge and never done before, just something that has educational merit and isnt especially boring to your supervisor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭gungo

Yea ill take that on board- I understand that the workings behind a web based project are simpler- but we were told that due to the large amounts of people doing them- supervisors get sick of looking at them and mark harder. Don't really wanna do a cutting-edge project jus 1 that'll hold my attention long enough 4 me 2 get it finished. Figure I could actually use an organizer r an ID3 editor at the end of it- if I do a half decent job ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement